so i purchased the fancy character app(there is no trial)
    i first used it in a sms to test it out. but none of the characters would appear in the text ...only question marks in place of them.
    i tried in an email and the only one that would work was the heart character.
    whats going on? help please...(battery pull was already done after install)
    08-31-09 08:45 PM
    I have experienced this as well. The app is simply not working at all for me. There are only question marks being placed when used. I fired off an email, and waiting for a reply.
    08-31-09 11:29 PM
    I have the same issues with it. Since no one has chimed in on it yet,tell me laydee what apps do you have on your blackberry menu ? I have QL,bbaddon,reply/edit. And too many other apps installed to list. I suspect that they will run an update again once. More peole complain. I thought it was just my a t first

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 11:33 PM
    I just received these instructions from the developer:

Go to Options-SMS, and change encoding from 7bit to CS2. Unless you're on CDMA version. CDMA SMS is very limited an no special characters allowed unfortunately. But other apps like PIN or email will work.

This worked for me, but I don't know how the change to UCS2 will effect my unit. lol.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 09-01-09 at 01:10 AM.
    09-01-09 12:58 AM
    Hi guys,
    Let me give an explanation on CS2.

This is an unicode encoding for the SMS. The side effect is that the one unicode message part is limited in 70 characters because each letter in encoded by 2 bytes.

Unfortunately BlackBerry does not have AUTO mode when it uses unicode only when you have unicode letters and 7bit in other cases.

I'm looking forward to create a new app that will introduce such automatic mode soon.

I'll try also to address CDMA version issues. Hope to add unicode support for these phones too.

feel free to follow my me on twitter @demon_xxi to know about Fancy Char updates and other apps
    09-01-09 05:50 AM
    Hi guys,

This is an unicode encoding for the SMS. The side effect is that the one unicode message part is limited in 70 characters because each letter in encoded by 2 bytes.

Unfortunately BlackBerry does not have AUTO mode when it uses unicode only when you have unicode letters and 7bit in other cases.

I'm looking forward to create a new app that will introduce such automatic mode soon.

I'll try also to address CDMA version issues. Hope to add unicode support for these phones too.

feel free to follow my me on twitter @demon_xxi to know about Fancy Char updates and other apps
    Great! I hope you can find a fix for this and incorporate it within Fancy Characters soon. I love the idea of this app, but it is hard to use it when we are only allotted half of what we can use even on Twitter. Good luck with your work. Great app idea.

Waiting for your update....
    09-01-09 06:28 AM
    I too purchased this app. I thought it would be so great, but it does not work! Some of the characters showed up in an email that I composed, but I only get ? in my texts. I sure hope this can be fixed - and soon. Any help would be appreciated
    09-01-09 10:54 AM
    I did try the fix above from madbradnyc and IT WORKS! Now I hope I didn't mess anything else up. Yikes!
    09-01-09 10:57 AM
    so i switched the encoding from 7bit and tried fancy characters in a text... i was able to see them perfectly. i sent it but the other person recieved question marks...
    09-01-09 06:00 PM
    i also purchased for my 8900 with tmoble and email and yahoo chat worked, i did switched from the 7bit to CDMA and i could see the characters and sent to myself and could see them but i sent to 5 people and none of them recieved the text at all.....NICE
    09-01-09 08:43 PM
    I purchased this app and I am not satisfied at all. ??? That's all I get... Question marks. Why do I have to change my encoding & limit my characters? I wouldn't have made the purchase if I knew I had to do all of that. Low price aside, I always want what I pay for to work properly. So far this app has been useless.

09-01-09 11:01 PM
    Retraction. App not useless. Changed the settings even though I didn't want to and I figure if I need to send more than 70 characters it might as well be an email. I'm unlimited anyway. So, if you are unlimited also you might as well go for it.

09-03-09 09:27 PM
    another thing i just noticed when i send characters in e-mail form not all of the characters work just some of them...i really want this app to work but its kind of pissing me off..any updates is sight???????????
    09-03-09 11:29 PM
    Kinda weird that there is an unhappy face but no smiley face on my BB 8900. Tested and my girlfriend gets the solid heart but not the open heart in SMS.

It might be a good idea to have some kind of table of tested characters that worked over SMS.
    09-08-09 03:40 PM
    Downloaded this today for my storm and can only get ?'s... tried to find the option to change but didn't see it.
    09-08-09 03:50 PM
    Me too. Emailed and waiting on reply...

09-08-09 03:55 PM
    three things to fix IMO:
    1) allow more charactors
    2) operate on 7bits (?)
    3) the receiving party has to be set on UCS2 also to receive the images?
    Good idea though, good luck and thanks for the effort
    09-08-09 10:13 PM
    so i switched the encoding from 7bit and tried fancy characters in a text... i was able to see them perfectly. i sent it but the other person recieved question marks...
    Yeah I already knew I had to change my SMS encoding to USC2 for it to show up for me on my own device, but no one I send any character to can get the character.

What's the point of me having this app if the people I send the characters to don't even see the characters? They show up as "boxes" on one person's phone, and the other person I don't even know - they didn't describe a box, they just said they didn't see any character lol. Both of them were AT&T like myself; neither of them own a Blackberry.

Luckily, I won a crackberry contest for the first time in my life, and this was the prize - so, I didn't pay for it

But, it still would be nice to figure out how to let the people you send to see them??
    09-09-09 06:56 AM
    I won the app too. I an very thankful to crackberry for giving it away. But this app needs major work. Especially on CDMA
    09-09-09 08:09 AM
    Yeah I already knew I had to change my SMS encoding to USC2 for it to show up for me on my own device, but no one I send any character to can get the character.
    What character did you send? I was able to send a solid heart (the black one) to my girlfriend that is also on T-Mobile. She uses a Sony Ericsson phone.
    09-09-09 10:14 AM
    What character did you send? I was able to send a solid heart (the black one) to my girlfriend that is also on T-Mobile. She uses a Sony Ericsson phone.
    I tested two different characters (from two different tabs at the top, even).
    I began my test to two different friends with different phone models completely, though both on AT&T (like myself). I tested the unfilled (non-solid) heart with both of them. One friend said they got a box, the other didn't mention a box and just said they didn't get the "heart" I told them I sent them, though I didn't think to ask if they got a box or nothing at all.

I then tried that character that has a "69" tipped over, in a different tab at the top. I sent it to them but with the same results.

I tried various combinations with these two friends, such as with my USC2 turned on (same results) and with my 7-bit turned on (which of course just produces a ? on my device, but I didn't know if it would magically work on their side or not for some reason).

Any input/suggestions?

Maybe I'll try out the solid-filled heart character next.

edit: Okay so I tried the solid-filled black heart. It works. Along with the solid-filled black diamond, club, etc. So far nothing else I have sent people can see. 69 tilted symbol, the umbrella, phone, lightning, frowny, smiley, unfilled club, unfilled heart, etc etc. No one sees them. And most of those are just from the first tab.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 09-09-09 at 09:58 PM.
    09-09-09 09:29 PM
    Anyone else have any more luck with this app than what we've figured out so far??

edit:[/B] Okay so I tried the solid-filled black heart. It works. Along with the solid-filled black diamond, club, etc. So far nothing else I have sent people can see. 69 tilted symbol, the umbrella, phone, lightning, frowny, smiley, unfilled club, unfilled heart, etc etc. No one sees them. And most of those are just from the first tab.
    09-11-09 07:11 PM
    Hi guys,

I am not sure if I am speaking too quickly or out of turn, but I have become quite a bit dissapointed by this application, and the developer. Since this app has come on the scene I have emailed the developer, and he stated that he would put out a fix for this by this past weekend, and/or create a new application that manages the code issues. I have even went as far as to post his replied instructions here to alleviate pressure from other users! We have yet to see it, or any developer remarks to this issue!!! I have tried to wait patiently, but when I received an application upgrade email from Mobihand to add characters for the TOUR (v1.2), and a small message at the end stating... "Most users can skip this update", I hit the roof!!!

How can a developer make a non functional app have added support for newer/other devices when it has not made a working version for a plain old GSM device!?!? At this point I believe that this is all about additional revenue streams without concern for those who already purchased the app, and helped the developer start this app presentation.

I have followed the developer on Twitter for some time now, and he has only talked about renaming BBTran to FancyTran, and mentions nothing about this non functional app. There is nothing fancy about Fancy Characters!!! The app is only $.99, but obviously $.99 must mean something for the developer, as he has not provided this "Crap App" for free. So I would appreciate a working application for my money, that I do not have to change WHOLE system settings to use only SOME of the provided characters!!!

To be honest, I am sick of this SH^T!!!
    Too many times developers put out an unfinished product, and basically let the public beta test it, while the revenue stream comes in, then state... "Oh, by the way, this doesn't work", or "This is a limitation of the BlackBerry OS". If this is the case, why put out an app that you know does not work!!! And... If you find out later that it does not work, why not pull it and provide refunds to those that supported you for an app sight unseen!!! It would be different if there was a free trial associated with it, but I have a feeling that this was already known, which is why there is no free trial for a $.99 app. The developer should not act like this is a non issue, because with CrackBerry having hit the 1.5 million mark, 1 tenth of 1 percent will a happy boy be made.

We are talking about web commerce, but in a way I fault these websites for allowing this to go on for too long. Moderators will flame users for not searching, but there is no regulation for false advertising. Mentions of this application should be taken down if it is proven not to work properly.

Also, don't think that this post was wrong, or harsh because we have repeatedly asked for a resolution to this matter, and there has been plenty of time for a response. After all, I have an email from the developer that this would have been fixed by the Labor Day weekend, but I only see the developer trying to drag in TOUR users at this point.

You think I'm wrong, prove it... You FIX the application, and I'll post a retraction.

Until then, I encourage users to post their feelings about this on every forum possible.

09-15-09 12:22 AM
    ^Daaaaaamn.
    At first glance, I admit I was going to roll my eyes and assume you were just going to be a troll and bash the app and developer with stupid claims and reasons.

HOWEVER: Wow. Very powerful stuff there. You seriously know what you are talking about, and I have to say, I agree with you completely, on every single point made. I happened to win a crackberry.com contest for once and this was my prize - so, I got it free of charge ($.99). Therefore, I don't feel as huge of an impact as you and others who have paid for this feel. But I can most definitely sympathize.

I wasn't even aware that this developer is the same developer who created BBTran? Wow! I love BBTran (free version. I think there's a new paid version out but I don't need that stuff). It's quite handy and I was under the impression that the developer was fairly good at communicating with his/her fanbase. It's kind of surprising to me that this same developer put out such a "miss-app"...

I have done several testings with this app I won - tested people on GSM networks, CDMA networks (I realize the app says it won't work on CDMA, but i tried it anyway), on same networks as myself, on different networks than myself, on three different phone models (sony ericson, bb bold, lg vu), with 7bit turned on/off, with USC2 turned on/off, etc etc etc. Nothing works but those few symbols I stated worked above.

It's like less than ten characters work out of how many? 30? 40? 50? For BBM you can enter these "fancy chars" in your display name. Maybe your messages too, who knows, I didn't even try it as I don't bbm too often (read: extremely rarely). As I said, though, you can use many of them (more than what I said worked above) in your display name. WOAH, FANCY!! :P

Is it a font problem or something, for the texting? What happens when a bb that has fancy chars installed sends an SMS to another bb that also has fancy chars installed, using these symbols? I haven't been able to test this yet because I don't know anyone with the app installed.

Anyone want to be daring enough to try with me sometime just for kicks? I promise I won't give out your # to enzyte advertisers or whatnot.
    09-15-09 12:40 AM
    OK has anyone d/l the update posted on cb main page? I am on Sprint and see that most of the responses/fixes thus far are for T-Mobile and AT&T services. Has anyone in SprintLand tried this app? I d/l the trial and when i tried to use it w/an sms, I got an error msg that it is not compatible w/CDMA SMS. Oh well, i guess it was a good effort.

**Update** Just read customer comments on the purchase page - U can not use on CDMA phones for text msgs, only emails - i.e. Sprint. Sorry - It's worthless to me anyway.
    Last edited by JustaNJDiva; 09-16-09 at 12:18 PM.
    09-16-09 12:13 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD