Download any size files through the Blackberry Browser - BlackberryOS.com

Have you ever tried downloading something to your Blackberry through the native browser and been unable to because of the size of the file? The problem is that the Blackberry Browser limits the download size to files 2.3mb or smaller. This usually is not a problem for most things mobile. But lets say you wanted to download a large .pdf, or a PowerPoint, or anything that is larger than the browser limit: you can’t. 0mie over at 0mietech has found a work around to this limitation. No longer does one have to install Opera Mini in order to install a larger sized file. It can be done right in the native Blackberry Browser.

The reason for the limitation is that RIM sets its WAP and Internet to a specific port. It is literally impossible to download anything larger than the 2.3mbs because that is the port limit. For an explanation in laymen’s terms, try parking a Hummer in a garage that is meant for a sports car, you won’t be able to do it. Therefore, in order to download files larger than 2.3mbs through the browser, the port in which the browser accesses must be changed. In order to do so, follow these steps

1. Go to options > advanced options > service books. Then hold ALT and type SBEB, if you have a QWERTY keyboard. For Storm users ATL 4?2? should work. I am not sure how to do it for Surepress. Then you should get the pop up that you see below.

(Image Courtesy of 0mie)

2. Once you have completed step 1 and have gotten the above pop up, you are ready to open the Desktop Manager. Go to Backup/Restore > Advanced > Open the .ipd file that is linked HERE.MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. On the left hand box go to file open, select the .ipd file, open it and send it to your phone. Then disconnect the phone from your computer.

4. Open the native browser on your phone and go to Options > General Properties. There should be a new option called “NET Browser” in the Default Browser drop down. You are now set to begin downloading files of any size!

5. On your first download you will get one of those agreement pop ups. This is just saying RIM is not responsible for anything third party that you download. Click “I Agree”

If for some reason you lose your email addresses just resend your service books again. If you are not sure how to do this it is: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables. Then click the BB button and there is an option to “Register Now”. It may not take the first time, but it does take a few minutes to happen.

So there you go. Once you have completed the described steps you will be able to download files of all types and sizes. I just want to give a nod to 0mie. This is all of his work and the images are from his site. Great find 0mie! And the top image is a 130mb file download, just some proof that it works!

It is strongly recommended that you are comfortable doing something like these and if you have ANY doubts or questions, do not do it until those issues are resolved.
    Last edited by ladre09; 08-31-09 at 01:16 AM.
    08-31-09 12:59 AM
    08-31-09 01:07 AM

Thanks Danoh, i forgot to add that link for step 2
    08-31-09 01:10 AM
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did the steps as specified but I get this msg: "unable to find requested server."

What else do I need to do?
    08-31-09 02:20 AM
    Um...I can dl 20 mb files with the default browser no mods...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 03:27 AM
    Now, riddle me this, how can I split large files to send them OTA :P Kind of like HJSplit?
    08-31-09 07:56 AM
    ya me too, I think I found my limit to be something like 30MB or so. Although sometimes it lags and then the download fails, but if I try it again it usually works.
    08-31-09 08:37 AM
    Thanks for this!!!! Its working great. I am currently downloading a 100MB MegaUpload file at 84.4KB/s on the Tour! Sweet. Now is there a program that I can use on the tour that will open .rar files? This will allow me to download full movies/music albums directly on my device.
    08-31-09 09:36 AM
    DO NOT DO THIS!!! By using another service book and picking the other browser, you're effectively using another browsing proxy server (this is how BBs work, they don't render the pages locally, a request gets sent to a proxy server and that server renders the page and sends it down to you in cut form). When this happens, all the info you view and send can easily be pulled up and off that proxy server. Do you honestly want to trust an unknown proxy server to your Internet traffic?
    08-31-09 10:06 AM
    Thanks! Now my browser doesn't work! lol
    08-31-09 10:07 AM
    My Tour is now acting up with my emails and browser after doing this little hack. How do I go back to original? Do I remove a service book? Do I wipe the device? What?
    09-01-09 09:40 AM
    Smells fishy...

09-01-09 09:54 AM
    I can download up to 20mb files without doing anything normally. After 20mb is says its too large
    Podcasts, videos etc

09-01-09 10:59 AM
    My Tour is now acting up with my emails and browser after doing this little hack. How do I go back to original? Do I remove a service book? Do I wipe the device? What?
    You seem to be able to remove it by removing the CMCC service books.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! By using another service book and picking the other browser, you're effectively using another browsing proxy server (this is how BBs work, they don't render the pages locally, a request gets sent to a proxy server and that server renders the page and sends it down to you in cut form). When this happens, all the info you view and send can easily be pulled up and off that proxy server. Do you honestly want to trust an unknown proxy server to your Internet traffic?
    From the IPD file required to make this work I'd say your right, it references hxxp://mmsc.monternet.com/url which appears to be from a cellular provider out of China. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean your data is going to China...

...So, I hex edited the out the reference to the offending server and it still works OK. Might have to take a closer look at this.
    Last edited by shindakun; 09-02-09 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added note about hex edit.
    09-02-09 01:01 AM
    Well I decided to install 5.0.0.191 on my Tour so that should of taken care of it anyways.

09-02-09 01:32 AM
    If you did a backup prior to this won't restoring it to a previous date work?
    09-02-09 12:07 PM
    Works like a charm!!
    09-03-09 10:51 AM
    It works nicely!! One problem though, my phone calls are breaking up on me now. Can this be the culprit?

09-04-09 04:04 PM
    Or just use Opera Mimi and save the file to memory card.

09-04-09 04:14 PM
    When I had Opera Mini and tried downloading videos it would invoke the native browser. So that would leave me in the same boat.

09-04-09 07:12 PM
    I've done this, but when I try to open a page thru the NET browser, it says communication failure..

10-04-09 02:45 AM
    Anyone got this to work on sprint 8330 5.0.230?
    10-05-09 12:19 PM
    You seem to be able to remove it by removing the CMCC service books.

From the IPD file required to make this work I'd say your right, it references hxxp://mmsc.monternet.com/url which appears to be from a cellular provider out of China. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean your data is going to China...

...So, I hex edited the out the reference to the offending server and it still works OK. Might have to take a closer look at this.
    were you able to figure out this hack without using the china server?
    10-11-09 11:08 AM
    Bump

Is there a way to restore if everything doesn't go correctly?

10-30-09 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD