Ok, I am just wondering, and I know this would be very difficult, but I think it could be done. Is there a way to rewrite or even write your own files for the OS? Like such the camera issue, or practically anything. I think the hardest part would be the resigning/rehashing part. I'm not sure how blackberries read files like that. My overall question is, if someone could write and create their own OS/OS file(s)?
    08-31-09 12:30 AM
    It can be done it just hasn't. There is no such thing as perfect, unchangeable software. I don't think the desire has been there for any capable coders since these devices change frequently and generally don't have a long shelf life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:11 AM
    Eh, that is true. But, I mean look at where we are, they don't call it Crackberry for nothing.
    08-31-09 02:13 AM
    My guess is most people who actually know how to do the coding for this on Crackberry probably already work for RIM actually making their os's!
    08-31-09 05:45 AM
    If you write the drivers for the phone then you are open to writting your own OS...

Im interested in doing this, BUT !!! what would take your years to code up RIM are already ahead of you ..
    08-31-09 06:06 AM
    The motivation just isn't there, especially not to build something for free. Like was said earlier, since these devices are constantly being replaced by newer ones, it would be nearly impossible to recoup costs (time spent). And lastly, while we'd like to think 'OMG RIM WTF. You can't make an OS that works?! This stuff is full of bugs, my grandma can code better than you', they've got plenty of talented programmers on board, its just the nature of the industry. The only difference between RIM and other companies like Apple or Microsoft, is that we see all these untested builds that should never be released to the public.
    08-31-09 07:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD