I just called in about 2 wks ago, and i found out that they are making it mandatory to buy a data plan when you buy a BB with a full qwerty keyboard. anyone know a way around this?

my friend just bought a 8900 on att without a data plan and i was wondering if there was anyway to do this on tmo?
    08-30-09 10:49 PM
    When I signed up with T-Mobile the sales rep. said it was mandatory although I was going to get it anyway. The data plan has so many benefits ... just get it and be happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 10:54 PM
    for some ppl, yes. im just a college student. i dont really need a data plan. plus, my entire campus is a hot spot. lol. so wifi will suffice.

but more importantly, it can get expensive. i will need to get 4 blackberries on my family plan, which is an extra $100 each month. thats an extra 2.4 grand over the 2 year contract. thats alotta money for just internet.
    08-30-09 10:57 PM
    Your best bet is to get them through AT&T before the 6th when they start requiring it. Then if you ever need to replace one of them you can buy it unlock and unbranded through somewhere like Horizon Wireless and you will be set.

Of course I am not familiar with TMobile, but if they use a SIM card you could just buy the BB unbranded and unlocked and put your SIM card in.
    08-31-09 02:47 AM
    Through T-Mobile, the only way to get around having to pay for the data is to pay for the device full price. Full price for the 8900 is 499.99. Essentially you're spending 350 dollars more up front because you chose not to get that data plan.
    08-31-09 05:46 AM
    Sending you a PM
    08-31-09 06:53 AM
    Or you could buy a phone from somewhere else. I got a brand new bb8900 from cl for $295. Getting it to work might be tricky. Right now I have the 2.99 t-zone data plan and the internet works fine, I just can't load apps like google maps or gmail. It sais my device is not supported.

Anyone has any ideas? I could install opera mini fine. I also tried the blackberry maps app, but i've read some where that it requires access the toe bb servers.

thanks
    08-31-09 08:40 AM
    ya.....if your gonna bb it up.....data plan it up too....IMHO of course...

get the rich full experience out of it...man I just sounded like a coffee commercial
    08-31-09 09:21 AM
    Your best bet is to buy a TMO BB and unlock it but that's over $400 upfront.
    08-31-09 09:59 AM
    Your best bet is to buy a TMO BB and unlock it but that's over $400 upfront.
    Why when you can just buy a TMO BB on Craigslist.......you can get em CHEEEEEAP.........
    08-31-09 11:37 AM
    just get one on ebay.
    you just put your sim card in and you're set
    no data plan!
    08-31-09 01:47 PM
    Exactly...I'm tellin ya though your gonna want data within your first 30 days....

08-31-09 03:03 PM
    It's not mandatory to get the data plan. Someone was trying to hustle you. I didn't get the data plan at first. Used the wifi for a good while. A year to be exact, lol. I just got the data plan about 2 days ago. You need to work out a plan with TMO. As long as I've been with them, they have always worked with me on my plans. Even cutting the price on a few things.
    08-31-09 04:45 PM
    you don't have to have the data plan with TMO. I was told that I should take it off of mine, and save 19.99, but then I would have to find a wifi connection everywhere. What is the point of having a BB without a data plan?
    08-31-09 04:57 PM
    you don't have to have the data plan with TMO. I was told that I should take it off of mine, and save 19.99, but then I would have to find a wifi connection everywhere. What is the point of having a BB without a data plan?
    The BB offers more features than just those that use data. I have yet to find a device that offers all the functions I love in my BB. PIM, Full QWERTY, easy to use calender, contacts, etc that synch with Outlook 2007. Just because I don't need data doesn't mean I shouldn't have a BB.
    08-31-09 05:32 PM
    The BB offers more features than just those that use data. I have yet to find a device that offers all the functions I love in my BB. PIM, Full QWERTY, easy to use calender, contacts, etc that synch with Outlook 2007. Just because I don't need data doesn't mean I shouldn't have a BB.
    Get them from craigslit. If you sniff around you'll find a good deal and you can always try to haggle You can find 8320 for ~$120 and 8900 ~$250

And you people telling all the time the same crap 'why do want to buy bb without a data plan?' just stop please. Geez! If he wants to have an alarm clock with qwerty it's his money.

thank you for your attention
    08-31-09 06:49 PM
    I wouldn't trust Craigs List if my life depended on it. I have seen way too many horror stories. I know there are ways to protect yourself against fraud and the like but I would much prefer to spend $350 for a brand new device than half that for a used device with the risk of complete failure within the first month.

I've been looking all over and have found that Horizon Wireless is probably my best bet when I need a new one. I also have the opitoin of getting one at WalMart for the same price locally, which I can easily have unlocked. Of course my goal is to stick with AT&T so the locking isn't really an issue.

Oh yeah...and thanks for reminding me....I like the Alarm Clock too.
    08-31-09 08:02 PM
    First of all IF you purchase any smartphone VIA TMO you ARE required to maintain a data plan effective July 1 this should be a dead issue.....with regards to the craigslist comment....I have purchased and sold literally dozens of phones and have yet to have a single issue....check the device thoroughly....know the device and bail if you don't like what you see.....the op says he wants to purchase a device with the option to not be forced to buy and maintain a data plan....

Folks on here providing bad information regarding mandatory data plans should follow up and participate in the threads addressing this issue....in the meanwhile I can tell you ALL carriers are now requiring this

08-31-09 08:10 PM
    Just use common sense and you will be fine. I just got a brand new bb 8900 for $295. It works quite well with my $2.99 t-zones data package. Not all the features will work ( bb maps, IM clients), but I need mostly for gmail, google voice, google maps, opera and these apps work like a charm.

I wouldn't trust Craigs List if my life depended on it. I have seen way too many horror stories. I know there are ways to protect yourself against fraud and the like but I would much prefer to spend $350 for a brand new device than half that for a used device with the risk of complete failure within the first month.

I've been looking all over and have found that Horizon Wireless is probably my best bet when I need a new one. I also have the opitoin of getting one at WalMart for the same price locally, which I can easily have unlocked. Of course my goal is to stick with AT&T so the locking isn't really an issue.

Oh yeah...and thanks for reminding me....I like the Alarm Clock too.
    08-31-09 08:33 PM
    Just use common sense and you will be fine. I just got a brand new bb 8900 for $295. It works quite well with my $2.99 t-zones data package. Not all the features will work ( bb maps, IM clients), but I need mostly for gmail, google voice, google maps, opera and these apps work like a charm.
    On a side note...What to you think of the 8900 Curve? I am concidering doing an exception upgrade to get a new BB before the data requirement goes in on the 6th with AT&T.
    08-31-09 08:41 PM
    Get it you won't regret it....best phone I ever owned....well best BB anyway....MT3G

08-31-09 08:58 PM
    I am coming from a dumb phone, never owned an other bb, or any other smart phone for that matter. ( other then 2 iphones for a few days before I've sold them) and I like it so far.

The battery life is really great, I've charged it up over 40 hours ago, yesterday I was playing with it for at least 5-6 hours ( GPS, Wifi, bluetooth) and now it is still at 20%. Once I get used to the interface and customize everything to my liking it will be a perfect device.

On a side note...What to you think of the 8900 Curve? I am concidering doing an exception upgrade to get a new BB before the data requirement goes in on the 6th with AT&T.
    09-01-09 04:35 PM
    I am coming from a dumb phone, never owned an other bb, or any other smart phone for that matter. ( other then 2 iphones for a few days before I've sold them) and I like it so far.

The battery life is really great, I've charged it up over 40 hours ago, yesterday I was playing with it for at least 5-6 hours ( GPS, Wifi, bluetooth) and now it is still at 20%. Once I get used to the interface and customize everything to my liking it will be a perfect device.
    I held one today at the store. Very nice feeling device and the details I read about it make it perfect for me I think. It's about the same size as my 8310 and not near as heavy as the Bold. I think I found a winner. Now I just have to figure out how I am gonna get it...lol.
    09-01-09 06:34 PM
    I used the BB8900 for about 3 Months before I gave it to my wife, its a great phone with good battery life, I had many apps on it and it ran smoothly.
    RIM did an excellent job with that phone, I wonder what the Tour feels like.
    09-02-09 02:33 AM
    Seriously, what's the point of having a bb without a data plan? I think that its good to have the data plan required for smartphones so they don't have to deal with the heavy rebate forms they get...

09-13-09 05:26 AM
210 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD