i have got my bluetooth tethering to work on my ibook g4 but it keeps taking me to the verizon pay for tether site. Any way around this? script i can add or would the beta 5.0 Firmware allow me to tether undetected? or is programs like tetherberry the only sane way to go?
    Last edited by anthonylonas; 08-29-09 at 11:46 PM.
    08-29-09 11:19 PM
    If anyone figures this out let me know, but I don't think "the big red machine" will let us have anything for free!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 07:54 AM
    If anyone figures this out let me know, but I don't think "the big red machine" will let us have anything for free!

Get Tetherberry - Worth the $30 something onetime.
    09-01-09 06:57 PM
    I'm brand new to Verizon and I'm also trying to find a way around paying their exorbitant $60 charge to tether. Did you find a way to make it work?
    09-05-09 11:32 AM
    The tethering charge is $60 - what you pay for data. So, if you pay for BIS it's an extra $30. BES, $15.

Using a work-around will get noticed, get you some super-huge costs, and generally probably **** you off. So why go that route?
    09-05-09 11:35 AM
    The tethering charge is $60 - what you pay for data. So, if you pay for BIS it's an extra $30. BES, $15.

Using a work-around will get noticed, get you some super-huge costs, and generally probably **** you off. So why go that route?
    Totally agree. Really its stealing using workarounds. What's another $30? I've seen many people blow that much on a single dinner and think nothing of it but when it comes to a service that you can use they want it free Tetherberry works but you get slower speeds then with a VZ tethering plan. When you use tetherberry its going through rims servers and tetherberry's. With a legit tethering plan it goes straight to the internet.

09-05-09 12:45 PM
    I was a Alltel customer so tethering was just $10 since Verizon took over now they want $30 but I am grandfathered in. You can set your mac up to bluetooth to your phone but big red monitors your data usage and can tell whether you are tethering or using your phone's browser by the bandwidth you use. You will not be happy with a bill around $1K at the end of the month. Webpages are different sizes for mobi and computers and downloads will show up for sure. Carriers have download limits of just a couple of megs on your cell while a tethered movie download is 700megs on average. Your choice though. As Barreta said don't do the crime if you can't do the time, in this case its money.
    09-07-09 02:20 AM
    So what in understanding is that if you buy the tetherberry program, big red won't bill you

Last edited by kalel434; 09-07-09 at 05:36 AM.
    09-07-09 05:34 AM
    So what in understanding is that if you buy the tetherberry program, big red won't bill you
    Not right away....

Modding a device to get around paying for something is theft. It's is just like hacking your cable to get free HBO.... when you're caught, you're in for it. Deservedly so.
    09-07-09 06:28 AM
    Get Tetherberry - Worth the $30 something onetime.
    So if I get yet tetherberry how does it work so I don't get charged by big red

09-07-09 07:33 AM
    i just downloaded the Tetherberry app and It really works great! It is a bit slower but certainly wouldnt use it for major downloading like movies or games or anything over a picture or emails and webpages. Im nervous that I might get caught though so I wonder if just doing these things would set off the "Red Alert"! Let me know what you guys think...Im willing to listen before I use it again.
    10-12-09 08:48 PM
    i just downloaded the Tetherberry app and It really works great! It is a bit slower but certainly wouldnt use it for major downloading like movies or games or anything over a picture or emails and webpages. Im nervous that I might get caught though so I wonder if just doing these things would set off the "Red Alert"! Let me know what you guys think...Im willing to listen before I use it again.
    if your worried then you probably shouldn't do it.
    10-12-09 08:59 PM
    as a verizon wireless tech support agent i gotta say from what i have heard there is not a way around it.
    10-12-09 09:03 PM
    as a verizon wireless tech support agent i gotta say from what i have heard there is not a way around it.

Come on, tell us the way around it ...

I am on a Mexican carrier and would love to know the way around it though. While I had my HTC Touch Pro wmwifirouter worked as a charm, I do miss it.
    10-13-09 12:00 AM
    Okay... It seems Verizon is making false promises to their customers. It used to be $30 per month got you an UNLIMITED plan. But now Verizon is starting to get their customers to agree to a 2GB Limit for the same price.

But, even for those who are still on an unlimited data plan, it really is not an unlimited plan. I am sure a couple of fat CEO's at verizon looked at some Power Point presentations and came to the conclusion that a customer can only download an 'X' (X < Unlimited) amount of data per month based on the 3G speed. But, that was not enough, now they want to limit an 'Unlimited' Plan even more by preventing tethering capabilties unless they charge an additional fee!

I am already paying more than my cable internet at home, and I purchased a 3G phone with unlimited data for the convenience of connecting my laptop to the internet on the go.... I am not willing to pay additional ... that is B.S. i am thinking about going back to my old phone, dicontinuing the data plan, and when the contract is up, find another provider.
    berryspun likes this.
    08-02-11 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD