Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if the Storm is sufficiently reliable that I don't need any insurance in addition to the included 1-year manufacturer warranty. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Just to compare, over two yours it costs $192 for the insurance.
    08-29-09 02:27 PM
    Throw your phone in some water and then see if insurance is worth it lol. Even if the storm is reliable, personally, I would rather have the insurance and be safe than sorry Just my personal opinion lol.
    08-29-09 02:34 PM
    In my opinion it is a 100% must. You never know when you may accidentally drop it or something out of the ordinary. It has saved me with previous phones before.
    08-29-09 02:41 PM
    is the $192 including the deductible?

i came up with $144 than another $50 for deductible?

i have had a few phones replaced and it was worth it.
    08-29-09 02:44 PM
    Its a must have if you own the Storm!
    08-29-09 02:46 PM
    Its always nice just in case something happens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 02:49 PM
    I haven't had insurance for the last 5 -6 phones I've owned. I just keep my previous phone just in case something happens to my phone. Think of how many people never use the insurance and how much money goes down the drain. I realize accidents can and do happen but if you're careful with it, then you should be ok.
    08-29-09 02:54 PM
    insurance is deffinitely worth it.
    lost or stolen phones can be replaced.
    or wen u feel ur phone is too abused theyll send u another one like they do me all the time i guess it depends what carrier u have
    08-29-09 02:55 PM
    Get the ins. I got it bc don't have $500 laying around when I drop it!

08-29-09 02:59 PM
    On a BB, how much is the insurance. Then how much is the deductible?
    08-29-09 03:02 PM
    The dedcutable is not $50. It's $89 for "advanced devices". Was raised a long time ago.

I get the $1.99 extended warrenty. asurion blows asschunks in my opinion. I hate dealing with them.
    08-29-09 03:16 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if the Storm is sufficiently reliable that I don't need any insurance in addition to the included 1-year manufacturer warranty. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other? Just to compare, over two yours it costs $192 for the insurance.
    it kinda depends on how clumsy you are.
    ok now for my real answer....
    its $8/month. i say go for it. sure, its a racket just like any other insurance policy is, but well worth it if you have to use it. try this..... throw your phone on the ground as hard as you can, then go try to purchase a new one outright. itll cost you more than $192 to replace it.
    08-29-09 03:17 PM
    The kicker is with the 8$ insurance package with verizon, it acts as an extended 1-year manufacturer warranty so you only have to pay the deductible if there is physical damage but nothing for defects.
    08-29-09 04:14 PM
    I do believe that insurance is worth it. even though I'm particularly careful with all of my phones, I like to know that I'm covered if anything ever did happen. =]
    08-29-09 04:47 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I looked at it this way, if I had to replace my phone, they would charge me $500. Then I would argue and they would give me some sort of deal, but still more than the charge for the insurance.

The Storm is more than just a phone, years ago I would not get the insurance it was just a phone and not expensive to replace.
    08-29-09 04:48 PM
    The dedcutable is not $50. It's $89 for "advanced devices". Was raised a long time ago.

I get the $1.99 extended warrenty. asurion blows asschunks in my opinion. I hate dealing with them.
    When did that go into effect? My boy paid 50 couple weeks ago for his storm insurance replacement.

08-29-09 05:09 PM
    Worth it?!its not about how reliable the device is. Drop your device in water or lose it and then tell me if its not worth it

08-29-09 05:40 PM
    Of course it is worth it. All of these companies are offering insurance at a price that loses them money just to be nice

Anything you can afford to replace, you should not insure like this. That goes for extended warranties, service etc. Companies most of the time make more money on these things than the do the actual sale. And guess who is paying for that profit..........
    08-29-09 05:57 PM
    Of course it is worth it. All of these companies are offering insurance at a price that loses them money just to be nice

Anything you can afford to replace, you should not insure like this. That goes for extended warranties, service etc. Companies most of the time make more money on these things than the do the actual sale. And guess who is paying for that profit..........
    totally agree about the extended warranties. its a sucker bet. the mfgs warranty (usually 1 year) is more than enough time to find out if a device is defective. much beyond that is normal wear and tear. ask yourself this..... what are the odds that a year from now youre going to have the same device (of any type) that you do now? for me its slim to none. we are always on the quest for the newest with the best upgraded features and these devices are being constantly rolled in our direction. i cant recall a time where ive kept any electronic device beyond 9-10 months. everything gets replaced regularly and the old one goes up for sale on CL or backpage or i offer it to one of my friends who may not have had the money for it when it was new on the market. but under no circumstances do i keep an item beyond it warranty expiration. by then its just old hat.
    08-29-09 06:08 PM
    When did that go into effect? My boy paid 50 couple weeks ago for his storm insurance replacement.

Months ago.

Does Verizon Wireless offer Total Equipment Coverage against lost/stolen/damaged and malfunctioning equipment?

Yes, Total Equipment Coverage offers complete protection for your wireless equipment. It combines the benefits of Asurion�s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program. If your device or covered accessories are inoperable for any reason-lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or malfunctioning-you are covered. Verizon Wireless customers can only enroll in Total Equipment Coverage within 30 days of new account activation with new equipment or an upgrade with new equipment purchase.

Phones*
    $5.99 per month per covered phone.
    $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.

Advanced Devices*
    $7.99 per month per covered device.
    $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    For a list of equipment in the Phones and Advanced Devices programs, please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622.

*Effective 5/17/2009, with all new device activations and new device upgrades. Until you upgrade to a new device, the existing monthly fee and deductibles remain in effect.

Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support
    08-29-09 06:49 PM
    if you have insurance before that price change goes into affect then you still pay the old rate.

if you get it after that or swap devices after th date you fall under the new prices

08-29-09 08:47 PM
    Still cheaper then replacing a whole new phone.

New phones now and days are around $350-$550.

$7.99/month * 12 months = $95.88
    2 claims maximum @ $89= $178
    Total = $273.99 > $350-$550
    08-29-09 09:26 PM
    On a BB, how much is the insurance. Then how much is the deductible?
    Verizon charges 7.95 or 8.95 a month for insurance if I recall for the Storm.......I declined it. I am gentle with all my phones. They get a case when I first get them and they are babied all their working lives..........
    08-30-09 10:52 AM
    Still cheaper then replacing a whole new phone.
    Yep, no doubt about that, not to mention faster than anything other than walking into a VZW, BB, or other retailer and buying a new Storm without a contract.

....2 claims maximum @ $89= $178
    This is where I have a learning disability. My wife recently filed an Asurion claim and got a replacement, so now the clock is running. If she needs to file another claim (for whatever reason), say, next month, that would obviously be her second in 12 months.

Of course she would pay another deductible but then she would be precluded from filing another claim (2 claims max within 12 months). Okay, so then what? Since she can't file another claim for around a year, I presume I can at least call VZW and get the monthly TEC charged canceled, right?
    08-30-09 02:01 PM
    I just used my insurance yesterday. Really nice Verizon people at my local storm knew exactly what to do when I brought my storm in for consistently rebooting itself. They replaced it and I went on my way. The insurance was a good thing to have in my situation
    08-30-09 02:36 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD