I am typing this email during my Maui vacation due to the failure of Verizon's Technical Support and retail store's failure to work together to resolve a customer issue that could have and should have been resolved today.

I have been a customer before Verizon was formed with Airtouch (i.e. almost 15 years). Today, my Blackberry Tour would not exit headset mode, so I could not use the phone on vacation to call friends and relatives. I called technical support at about 1:15 PM Hawaii time/4:15 PM PST and we worked together for over an hour to reset the phone, wipe the phone, upgrade the software, and unfortunately, it would not exit headset mode. I was told I should swap out the phone and I asked if I could switch it at the Maui store. He tried calling the store to see if they had replacements, but the store did not answer. I asked him if they could FedEx it to me for Saturday morning delivery (I'm a couple days into a weeklong trip) and he said no problem. I then asked when the latest I could place an order was and was told 8 PM PST/5 PM Hawaii time. I told him I'd drive 45 min to the store to see if I could get it replaced, if not, I would call tech support before the deadline to FedEx a replacement. After reaching the store at 4 PM Hawaii time and waiting 20 minutes, I was told they didn't have any replacements. We called tech support immediately to place the order at 4:30 PST and was told it was too late, I would be without a phone until Tuesday.

I explained my situation to the technical support supervisor and reiterated that I'm only 12 days past my 30 days into the Tour. I suggested that the store 'sell' me a new Tour and he credit my account the cost since I needed a phone and this was technical support's fault (i.e. giving me misinformation and not being able to FedEx it in time). ****, even the store agreed. He said that it would be up to the store's discretion. After an hour, both the store manager and the tech support supervisor concluded that my suggestion was the solution, but neither would do it, saying the other should issue the credit. Either way, I don't have a replacement phone and am extraordinarily disappointed with the loss of over 5 hours on vacation, to wait until Tuesday for a replacement phone when the solution was at hand.

I understand retail and technical support are different channels, but in this case (and many others I'm sure), when there is a simple solution in sight, shouldn't it be done in the interest of the customer? I don't think asking for a replacement or new phone for a 42 day old phone while on vacation is unreasonable is it? Especially when everyone agrees and I will get a new phone anyway.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by VDPHB; 08-29-09 at 05:01 AM.
    08-29-09 04:35 AM
    CrackBerry Verizon forums: http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/

Wow, that sucks. I've normally had nothing but stellar customer service from Verizon.
    08-29-09 04:53 AM
    CrackBerry Verizon forums: http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/

Wow, that sucks. I've normally had nothing but stellar customer service from Verizon.
    Thanks.....I agree, my service has been stellar for the most part as well. So much so that I usually ask to speak or leave a message for a supervisor for such great service.

I just don't get it in this case. They both acknowledged the solution, but wouldn't agree to make it happen. I asked for a callback from the Tech Support Supervisor's manager and have been assured I'll get one within 48 hours, which would put it at around 5:30 Sunday Hawaii Time. I've also sent an email through the website.

We'll see what happens, I'm not pissed, just dumbfounded. It's like I'm dealing with two separate companies, neither of which want to help the customer.
    08-29-09 04:57 AM
    i dont know what im doing here... but, try making a call. your voicemail preferably. and use a headset or any 3.5mm and rape that headset jack. in and out until it leaves headset mode.

the tech support... never needed them. so cant help u there.
    08-29-09 10:04 AM
    I am typing this email during my Maui vacation due to the failure of Verizon's Technical Support and retail store's failure to work together to resolve a customer issue that could have and should have been resolved today.

I have been a customer before Verizon was formed with Airtouch (i.e. almost 15 years). Today, my Blackberry Tour would not exit headset mode, so I could not use the phone on vacation to call friends and relatives. I called technical support at about 1:15 PM Hawaii time/4:15 PM PST and we worked together for over an hour to reset the phone, wipe the phone, upgrade the software, and unfortunately, it would not exit headset mode. I was told I should swap out the phone and I asked if I could switch it at the Maui store. He tried calling the store to see if they had replacements, but the store did not answer. I asked him if they could FedEx it to me for Saturday morning delivery (I'm a couple days into a weeklong trip) and he said no problem. I then asked when the latest I could place an order was and was told 8 PM PST/5 PM Hawaii time. I told him I'd drive 45 min to the store to see if I could get it replaced, if not, I would call tech support before the deadline to FedEx a replacement. After reaching the store at 4 PM Hawaii time and waiting 20 minutes, I was told they didn't have any replacements. We called tech support immediately to place the order at 4:30 PST and was told it was too late, I would be without a phone until Tuesday.

I explained my situation to the technical support supervisor and reiterated that I'm only 12 days past my 30 days into the Tour. I suggested that the store 'sell' me a new Tour and he credit my account the cost since I needed a phone and this was technical support's fault (i.e. giving me misinformation and not being able to FedEx it in time). ****, even the store agreed. He said that it would be up to the store's discretion. After an hour, both the store manager and the tech support supervisor concluded that my suggestion was the solution, but neither would do it, saying the other should issue the credit. Either way, I don't have a replacement phone and am extraordinarily disappointed with the loss of over 5 hours on vacation, to wait until Tuesday for a replacement phone when the solution was at hand.

I understand retail and technical support are different channels, but in this case (and many others I'm sure), when there is a simple solution in sight, shouldn't it be done in the interest of the customer? I don't think asking for a replacement or new phone for a 42 day old phone while on vacation is unreasonable is it? Especially when everyone agrees and I will get a new phone anyway.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
    Was anyone else reading this and thinking, YOU ARE ON VACATION IN HAWAIII DEAL WITH THIS WHEN YOU GET HOME? (or was it just me?)
    08-29-09 10:23 AM
    All the con artists and the perfectionist are ruining it for the people with the real problems. Hope you get it replaced soon man. I know how it is. Especially while on a vacation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 10:36 AM
    I've always been an "in store" type. I prefer the face-to-face as I've always had better luck.

Customer service, by and large, is a dying breed.
    08-29-09 12:18 PM
    I agree, why did you need to bother with this while you were on vacation? Last time I checked, most modern day hotels have internet access and phones. There's even this new invention called calling cards so you don't have to pay hotel rates for in-room phone calls.

08-29-09 01:07 PM
    Was anyone else reading this and thinking, YOU ARE ON VACATION IN HAWAIII DEAL WITH THIS WHEN YOU GET HOME? (or was it just me?)
    @Shatiek - Thanks man!

@Devil - I tried your suggestion many times before and after my call with Tech Support and visit to the store to no avail. The store and tech support both said they've heard of this happening before. Thanks though.

@aetius & envied - I would totally agree with you about being on vacation and ignoring my emails, which I did by leaving my work blackberry at home. Unfortunately, I'm here visiting friends and family in addition to lounging at the beach and there is no landline at the friends I'm staying with. More and more households are going without, although I do have an internet connection as you can see.

I do need my personal phone to call my friends and family to coordinate my time with them here since the primary purpose is to visit relatives and friends, not lounge on the beach (although I am getting a bit of that in). Text messaging works with my friends, but try doing that with older family and they look at you quizzically.

I hope that makes sense as to why I'm so frustrated, I just need a phone that works while I'm here. Not my email or anything else, just a phone. Regardless of whether or not I'm on vacation, the solution was staring all of us in the face, but tech support wouldn't rectify their mistake and the store wouldn't budge. This shouldn't happen at all.
    Last edited by VDPHB; 08-29-09 at 02:00 PM.
    08-29-09 01:45 PM
    I agree, why did you need to bother with this while you were on vacation? Last time I checked, most modern day hotels have internet access and phones. There's even this new invention called calling cards so you don't have to pay hotel rates for in-room phone calls.

Peoples' needs vary...just because someone is on vacation, one shouldn't be closed minded enough to assume that they don't need their phone for access to SMS, email, etc. I've found for example, that when vacationing with friends, family or both, keeping in touch and coordinating plans via SMS, BBM, etc can be a real life saver, particularly when out of town.

To the OP, I feel your pain and in my mind, asking for a replacement while on vacation is absolutely reasonable especially given that you've been a loyal Verizon/Airtouch customer for 15 years.
    08-29-09 02:07 PM
    Peoples' needs vary...just because someone is on vacation, one shouldn't be closed minded enough to assume that they don't need their phone for access to SMS, email, etc. I've found for example, that when vacationing with friends, family or both, keeping in touch and coordinating plans via SMS, BBM, etc can be a real life saver, particularly when out of town.

To the OP, I feel your pain and in my mind, asking for a replacement while on vacation is absolutely reasonable especially given that you've been a loyal Verizon/Airtouch customer for 15 years.
    Thanks CafeRacer, you said it better than I did.

Are you here on or from the islands as well? Just finishing breakfast, reading the news, this thread, and about to head out and enjoy the day. Which isn't ruined by any means, just some time lost.

Aloha!
    08-29-09 02:12 PM
    Thanks CafeRacer, you said it better than I did.

Are you here on or from the islands as well? Just finishing breakfast, reading the news, this thread, and about to head out and enjoy the day. Which isn't ruined by any means, just some time lost.

Aloha!
    Check your PMs...I've a sinking suspicion that we know one another...
    08-29-09 02:13 PM
    All the con artists and the perfectionist are ruining it for the people with the real problems. Hope you get it replaced soon man. I know how it is. Especially while on a vacation.

Unfortunately he's correct. Becuase of the few who do work the system, the system has become very black/white the shades of grey have been erased. In this situation you were outside the 30 day window and fell within Normal warranty guidelines, so even though you were misquoted on the shipping timeline which although a small error seems a lot bigger when you're away from home. The company only made one small mistake but the leeway to fix it is gone because we've lost way too much money giving phones to people that didnt need them to scam the system.
    08-29-09 03:02 PM
    Wow.. sorry for the issues - hope this doesn't change your mind about VZW all together. The tech rep shouldn't have even bothered with the store in the first place. If it was not within the 30 day period, then you cannot get it swapped out at the store (99% of the time). You have to go through warranty and get the CLNR.

So it should have been sent out as soon as you called in. If you got it replaced at the store, then just send the replacement back (waste of money shipping for VZW, but at least you will KNOW you're getting a phone).
    08-29-09 03:08 PM
    tsguy52 & AFAngryWarrior - You guys are right, there are guidelines, I'm just surprised that within one company, one organization was working against the other in front of the customer and leaving the customer in the wind. If it wasn't so transparent and acknowledged, it would be one thing, but the fact that it was in my face was another. Lesson learned for next time though.
    08-29-09 03:33 PM
    Get a refurb. It is worth it. I've had problems with all of my new devices so I said send me a refurb (later I had them send me a new because I was upset because I was mislead into getting the refurb) so I got to choose. I picked the refurb and its perfect.
    08-29-09 03:38 PM
    tsguy52 & AFAngryWarrior - You guys are right, there are guidelines, I'm just surprised that within one company, one organization was working against the other in front of the customer and leaving the customer in the wind. If it wasn't so transparent and acknowledged, it would be one thing, but the fact that it was in my face was another. Lesson learned for next time though.
    I've said this for years.... I've been with the company since before it was Verizon and I even worked in retail for them and I've always said the biggest void of communications and policies come between the store and care. The store thinks care can do it all and care doesnt know what the store can/can't do so they send people to the store not knowing. I've championed efforts to have classes held and cross training sessions but it wont happen. Sales is their bread and butter no matter what we say Sales is always right.
    08-29-09 04:42 PM
    Quick update...

Got a call from a very nice internet service rep responding to an email I sent last night before bed. She apologized profusely and said an exception should have been made considering my phone was 12 days past the 30 days, especially since I was traveling. She put a note in my account to swap out the phone, but asked me to hold off until she gets a hold of the store.

Funny thing here...she called the store 6 times, called me back and asked how many times they were called yesterday before the TS rep gave up. I told her I didn't know, but i was on hold for 2-3 minutes. She called me back 20 min. later and told me she still hasn't been able to get through to someone at the store.

Really nice rep and recovery, but comical that even she can't get someone to answer at the phone.
    08-29-09 05:52 PM
    Stores are the hardest places to get in contact with. Maybe she could try e-mailing the manager and the reps there with the information so it won't be a problem. Or you go to the store and have them speak with her?
    08-29-09 06:06 PM
    Stores are the hardest places to get in contact with. Maybe she could try e-mailing the manager and the reps there with the information so it won't be a problem. Or you go to the store and have them speak with her?
    I will vouch for that - although it is inexcusable. When I need to reach a store - to schedule work or whatever - I call the manager's cell phone.

They will answer their cell phone, while ignoring the store phone.

08-29-09 08:49 PM
    Im sorry find it hard to feel really sorry for you yes im sorry to hear about your phone but just becasue your on vaca doesnt mean verizon should void their policies for you....your out of your wfg all you get is clnr a store should give you a brand new phone read your policy relax and enjoy your vacation ...its JUST A PHONE
    08-29-09 10:25 PM
    ...its JUST A PHONE
    I will vouch for that, too.

08-29-09 11:29 PM
    Im sorry find it hard to feel really sorry for you yes im sorry to hear about your phone but just becasue your on vaca doesnt mean verizon should void their policies for you....your out of your wfg all you get is clnr a store should give you a brand new phone read your policy relax and enjoy your vacation ...its JUST A PHONE
    I'm glad you said it first...
    08-30-09 01:35 AM
    I will vouch for that - although it is inexcusable. When I need to reach a store - to schedule work or whatever - I call the manager's cell phone.

They will answer their cell phone, while ignoring the store phone.

I somewhat disagree with you(for once lol) in my district the phone has to be answered within 3 rings even if it means excusing yourself from an instore customer. If its not, we hear about it and our DM isn't a happy camper when that happens(rarely does.).

08-30-09 01:43 AM
    I somewhat disagree with you(for once lol) in my district the phone has to be answered within 3 rings even if it means excusing yourself from an instore customer. If its not, we hear about it and our DM isn't a happy camper when that happens(rarely does.).
    This is good & the way it should be. I know it is probably a regional thing. We even see a wide disparity in store opinions. I am not impressed with them here, at all - but other areas, folks love the stores.

No matter what the industry, good management that allows good people to do their jobs nets good results & happy customers. Some folks get that & others don't.

What gets me around here is you call the store & get the automated call routing system. If the store doesn't answer, you get transparently transfered to a call center - and it is a third-party center. Here, it seems to be Tucson - but I am in Phoenix. To the people in Phoenix, Tucson is an irrelevant irritation that we'd prefer to ignore.

Still, you think you're talking to the Scottsdale store or the Arizona Mills Mall store - but you have someone over on the wromg side of the river.

So, for my purposes, the manager's cell phone or the stores non-pub back line is a good thing to get.

Of course, I know I will catch all kinds of H&D from the Tucson contingent now...

08-30-09 01:54 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD