Ok so I thought the point of this was to save device memory. I hardly have any apps n my device memory is 87mb. So I archived poInt and then deleted it from app world (what I thought I was supposed to do) but then it ended up deleting the whole file. Meanwhile when I did archive it, it didn't give me any memory back but when I deleted it I got 3 mb back.....can someone inform me on what I'm doing wrong?? Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 09:09 AM
    Ok so I thought the point of this was to save device memory. I hardly have any apps n my device memory is 87mb. So I archived poInt and then deleted it from app world (what I thought I was supposed to do) but then it ended up deleting the whole file. Meanwhile when I did archive it, it didn't give me any memory back but when I deleted it I got 3 mb back.....can someone inform me on what I'm doing wrong?? Thx

Archiving is so you can store apps on device memory or memory card and not your system ram. The thing is, the Tour comes with little or no device memory. It comes with 256 mb for app memory and a 2 gb memory card. the Bold comes with 128 mb system ram, but 1 gb onboard device memory and memory card is separate.

When you archive, I believe on the Tour, the apps get saved to your memory card. You cannot delete them from app world as that will remove the apps altogether. They will always stay in app world. But it will free up your system ram.

Here's what you do, check your app memory and device memory before installing an app, then check it after. Most likely your app memory went down. Now check your memory card space and then archive your app and check your app memory and memory card space. Most likely the memory card space went down and your app memory frees up a bit.

RIM made it so that when you archive, if you have little onboard device memory it goes to your memory card, if you have a lot of onboard device memory like bold users, it goes there instead.
    08-28-09 01:10 PM
    Hello, I've looked for this solution here, but all those offered do not work.

I'm trying to delete archived apps that I have downloaded from bb appworld. they appear in appworld and on my device.

1. Tried Options > Advanced > Applications... but the archived apps are not listed there.

2. Tried going to MyApps in AppWorld, but when I select delete using the bb menu, nothing happens. Even after a battery pull.

3. When I select the apps on my device, there is no option to delete them in the bb menu.

4. I've even tried searching for them on my memory card using bbfilescout and by plugging my device into the computer and search for them on the drive, but I can't find them there.

I've got a Curve 8900, running 4.6.1.250.

Any help would be appreciated.
    09-13-09 01:07 PM
    Why did you post this on the 9630 Forums?

Anyway, I'll clarify a couple things.
    For Apps downloaded from App World, if you delete them via the Icon screen or Applications in Advanced Options they are automatically archived in App World.

If you wanted to delete in the 1st place it's much simpler to go into App World. Highlight any App in My World and hit MENU to have the choice of archiving or deleting.

The App WILL ALWAYS stay listed in My World, but will now say Archived or Uninstalled there. If it says either, it is no longer taking up any device memory.

09-13-09 01:38 PM
    Why did you post this on the 9630 Forums?

Anyway, I'll clarify a couple things.
    For Apps downloaded from App World, if you delete them via the Icon screen or Applications in Advanced Options they are automatically archived in App World.

If you wanted to delete in the 1st place it's much simpler to go into App World. Highlight any App in My World and hit MENU to have the choice of archiving or deleting.

The App WILL ALWAYS stay listed in My World, but will now say Archived or Uninstalled there. If it says either, it is no longer taking up any device memory.

I posted this here because this is where I found an answer to my question, but it did not solve the problem. I figured appworld works the same device to device.

If the app is deleted or archived, then how come it still appears on my device (icon with a green arrow underneath)? How do I get rid of that icon?
    09-13-09 01:44 PM
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean about the Icon w green arrow. Where are you seeing that exactly?

09-13-09 02:13 PM
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean about the Icon w green arrow. Where are you seeing that exactly?

It's on my home screen, where the other icons for other apps are. mine appear in the 'downloads' folder.

I think I found a solution, quite by accident... I deleted appworld. reboot. i then clicked on an archived app with the green arrow (student docket) and selected to reinstall it. this took me to appworld (but it's not reinstalled on my device...???). i reinstalled the app. reboot. then i deleted the app again. reboot. all my archived apps are gone now.

it seems that the only way to truly delete an appworld app is via appworld. in the past i just highlighted the app on my home screen, the selected delete from the bb menu.

now, i'm afraid to reinstall appworld because I don't want all those deleted/archived apps to come back...
    09-13-09 02:19 PM
    Oh I think I understand now. That Icon with the green arrow just means it was archived.

09-13-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD