Are Att and T-mobile the same?? I was using my Bold last night and decided to pull the SIM card out and use the Wi-Fi at home(Att) while I was surfing the web I decided to go into settings>options>mobile network and I found this

that was on my Att bold not an unlocked device, it doesnt scare me or nothing but it was just weird..any ideas how this could have happened?
    Last edited by molochete; 08-27-09 at 02:41 PM.
    08-27-09 02:35 PM
    I don't know the answer, but why did you pull the SIM card to use wi-fi?
    08-27-09 02:37 PM
    I don't know the answer, but why did you pull the SIM card to use wi-fi?
    I see...I pulled it out to use it on my Curve, I wanted to see if it would work(I havent used my curve in a while).
    08-27-09 02:40 PM
    They don't even use the same frequencies. You could use the same EDGE network with the same phone ideally, but I don't think they even roam off each other...

You were in SOS mode so it's not like you were connected to the network anyways.
    08-27-09 02:41 PM
    They don't even use the same frequencies. You could use the same EDGE network with the same phone ideally, but I don't think they even roam off each other...

You were in SOS mode so it's not like you were connected to the network anyways.
    I see...thanks for the answer!
    08-27-09 02:44 PM

ummmm what??? AT&T and T-mobile use the same 850/1900 MHz cellular spectrum that the rest of north america uses. the only differences being that t-mobile only offers their 3G speeds on their newly aquired 1700 Mhz, which no other provider uses.

oh and AT&T and T-mobile do and can roam off eachother. the only way to accomplish this is only if there is no native service for your provider in the area. so in an area where both providers have adequate covereage, it will default to your provider and wont allow you to manually switch to another carrier. however, if you are in a market where your provider doesnt have existing native service/covereage, it will allow you to swap over and roam on another carriers network.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 08-27-09 at 10:00 PM.
    08-27-09 09:56 PM
    I'm on T-mobile and sometimes when I take my sim out of my Curve to put in another phone my curve on wifi will say AT&T. I thought it was odd but the wifi worked fine. I didn't know they shared some towers.
    08-30-09 01:20 PM
    in reality, some if not most towers, are owned by 3rd party commmunications companies. cell phone providers just rent space on the tower for antennas. its cheaper to do that than have to pay for ownership of the tower and its maintenance. so there could be multiple carrier antennas on one tower. ones owned solely by a carrier usually have their branding posted on the doors of the maintenance shack next to it. also, for providers that do own their own towers, they may or may not contract 3rd party companies to maintain the towers for them.
    09-01-09 12:53 AM
    It could also be because you're in SOS mode, it connected to the nearest tower just in case you need to make an emergency call.
    09-01-09 02:18 AM
    The phone will connect to the closest tower/strongest signal when no SIM card is in as it sees them all the same and has no preference, No Preferred list of carriers.
    09-01-09 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD