...stop lying to your customers faces.

The other day me and a friend were walking through the mall and we were talking about Blackberrys. He wants one (currently has an LG Dare) but isn't sure which to get. I explained that the Storm isn't THAT bad anymore with software upgrades but since his upgrade isn't available yet, just wait for the S2. I also told him about the Curve 2 that will be coming up if he wants something cheaper, and if he wants a powerful old school trackball/keyboard BB then the Tour is pretty solid now. Then we came up to a VZW Kiosk and I figured, why not? We are talking about them, lets go look at them.

First of all they only had dummy phones so that didn't help much, but thats not the point. The rep walks up to us and is trying to get him to get a Storm (he likes touch screens). He told the rep "I think I'm just going to wait for the Storm 2 since my upgrade isn't even available yet." and the rep says:

"The Storm 2 is EXACTLY like the Storm 1 as far as hardware, the only difference is the software, which you can already get for free online, you might as well just get this one now and take it home and upgrade it instead of waiting and paying more for it later."

I felt like laughing and I saw my friend smiling because I already explained to him that the S2 will have more memory, wifi, better screen, better everything essentially. We told him we're ok for now and left.

I wanted to set him straight right there but theres no reason and he would just pull the "I work here, I know" stuff most likely.
    08-26-09 11:20 AM
    Must be nice to know more about a phone vzw's supposed to be releasing than the people who work for vzw do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 11:26 AM
    This guy was indirect? He was just trying to make a sale who cares.
    08-26-09 11:41 AM
    "Walking thru the mall talking about blackberrys"

Nerds. :P

08-26-09 11:51 AM
    I always buy my Verizon phones over the phone by calling tech support. My experience is that tech support has more knowledgeable staff, and since they are primarily tech support, they are not that much into making sales and pushing for you to buy something. Also, my experience is that the sales people in the Verizon stores are just not that much into working. I went to the local verizon store (OK--I'm a fat 60 year old woman, which probably had something to do with it) last month and said I had a BB world phone 8830 that I wanted to replace and heard about the Tour and wanted some help deciding between that and the Storm. While they didn't exactly throw me out, I felt my presence was barely tolerated and my (I think intelligent) questions were given a basic one or two word response. So I left. Then on Monday, my boss showed me his new Tour! I called VZN Tech Support, ordered one (should be delivered today), and even got detailed instructions on how to activate it and transfer my info from the world phone to the Tour. Can't beat that. After I get my Tour, I'm going to take it into the store and show it off. I hope those guys work on commission!
    08-26-09 11:54 AM
    "Walking thru the mall talking about blackberrys"

Nerds. :P

hahaha my fiance was looking at some clothes with my friends wife so we were finding something to do
    08-26-09 02:17 PM
    hahaha my fiance was looking at some clothes with my friends wife so we were finding something to do
    It's known as men surviving mall insanity.

I'd be interested in finding out if it was a corporate kiosk or an indirect. Most mall kiosks seem to be indirects, although there are occasionally corp kiosks.

Next time, have her drop you at an a car place, home improvement store, gun shop or sports bar.

Yeah honey, drop me at the pub - in exchange for me getting waited on my the big-busted babes, here's my credit card. Have fun & take your time!
    08-26-09 03:12 PM
    You order a phone through us (tech) we don't get anything for it.

I always buy my Verizon phones over the phone by calling tech support. My experience is that tech support has more knowledgeable staff, and since they are primarily tech support, they are not that much into making sales and pushing for you to buy something. Also, my experience is that the sales people in the Verizon stores are just not that much into working. I went to the local verizon store (OK--I'm a fat 60 year old woman, which probably had something to do with it) last month and said I had a BB world phone 8830 that I wanted to replace and heard about the Tour and wanted some help deciding between that and the Storm. While they didn't exactly throw me out, I felt my presence was barely tolerated and my (I think intelligent) questions were given a basic one or two word response. So I left. Then on Monday, my boss showed me his new Tour! I called VZN Tech Support, ordered one (should be delivered today), and even got detailed instructions on how to activate it and transfer my info from the world phone to the Tour. Can't beat that. After I get my Tour, I'm going to take it into the store and show it off. I hope those guys work on commission!
    08-26-09 03:27 PM
    You order a phone through us (tech) we don't get anything for it.

Thats right...
    08-26-09 03:28 PM
    Actually let me rephrase that... We DO get something... Yelled at for high aht lol

08-26-09 03:33 PM
    Thats right...
    Which center do you work in, blue?

08-26-09 03:34 PM
    Actually let me rephrase that... We DO get something... Yelled at for high aht lol
    Besides that average hold time, don't forget getting yelled at for talk time & adherence, too!

Back to the subject at hand - I think people will go where they are comfortable & don't pay attention to whether you get extra for the sale or not. After all, you are there for 8-10 hours, are connected to the VZW inbound lines & you get paid for your time.

For me, I don't go to the stores to purchase anything. If I want something extra, I call. Your pay structure isn't my business. Your business is to service my account. So, I am a reasonable & paying customer of your employer with reasonable requests for service. What can YOU do to help ME?

Just saying...

08-26-09 04:07 PM
    I'm sure they do work on commission. It sounds like you probably were not a comissionable sale for them, did they look up your account before giving you the ol' minimum service?

Quotas are very aggressive at Verizon, and while I agree that they acted unprofessionally, that's unfortunately what Verizon breeds by paying their reps the way that they do. Reps are paid based on new lines of service and features added (Data, media packages, etc.), accessory sales, etc. Phones are not commissonable, or at least they weren't when I was a Verizon rep.

This means if you walk into a store with a BB World Phone in your hand, and your you aren't a commisionable upgrade, you become about the last person a sales rep wants to see. No offense intended, that's just they truth. If you renew your plan through cust service, or get an early upgrade, or otherwise make your plan ineligible for commission for the rep, the only thing the rep gets commission on is any accessories that you may purchase. (By the way, Verizon reps have to sell a certain number of accessories per handset) I'm not saying it's right, but reps can't afford to spend their time with non-comissonable customers, especially during busy times in the store.

This is one of the main reasons I got out of the business. I didn't like the fact that the stores were becoming showrooms for the internet sales dept, and Verizon was allowing 3rd party retailers and our own web sales and customer service to offer lower prices than the retail stores. People were using us as a library to look at the devices, ordering on the internet or over the phone, then coming in and expecting us to show them how to use the thing.

So, maybe they were just truly lazy, and in that case, never mind. Verizon puts it's reps under such pressure to hit "the numbers" that they do have to be careful not to get into a situation where they are losing money to help someone. It's a shame it's that way, but that's the facts.

Suggestion - Go into the stores on a Tuesday or Wednesday, those are the slowest days, especially in the morning.
    Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 08-26-09 at 04:16 PM.
    08-26-09 04:11 PM
    Sales guys always twist the truth. No matter where you shop. Some worse than others..
    08-26-09 04:21 PM
    It's known as men surviving mall insanity.

I'd be interested in finding out if it was a corporate kiosk or an indirect. Most mall kiosks seem to be indirects, although there are occasionally corp kiosks.

Next time, have her drop you at an a car place, home improvement store, gun shop or sports bar.

Yeah honey, drop me at the pub - in exchange for me getting waited on my the big-busted babes, here's my credit card. Have fun & take your time!
    I needed a replacement so I went to the VZW kiosk over the weekend. My headset speaker blew or something. I had garbled voices. So anyways, the sales rep (about 60 years old) and I were talking up the Storm 2 and he suggested crackberry.com for up-to-date info. I kindly told him I was a current user of the site. Two airhead teenage girls getting Tours spoke up and asked what CrackBerry was. He just smiled and finished helping me out.

+1 for CrackBerry

I have an Applebee's attached to my mall, so my wife just finds me at the bar when she is done.
    Last edited by tsweeney77; 08-26-09 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Grammar and adding a comment I missed.
    08-26-09 04:22 PM
    Sales guys always twist the truth. No matter where you shop. Some worse than others..

I disagree. Yes, there may be sales reps that dont know anything and are just saying whatever to make the sale. But at my store, most of us are very ethical and knowledgable. Although we do have 1 rep that will say anything...lol the others are very good.

Reason we like to be honest and not just trying to make a quick sale is because the customers will remember us. I cant even count how many times people come in saying "oh my friend so and so said to come and see you"
    08-26-09 04:41 PM
    It's not true that non-commissioned reps are more helpful than commissioned ones (in any industry). I've been on both sides of the tables in many different types of industries. It's no different when buying a phone. A commissioned rep has more incentive to make sure that you are getting the right device, plan, features, etc. I'm not saying that this is true for everyone, but commissioned reps get a bum rap. Not everyone is a greasy snake oil salesman out to get you. And you can usually tell right away which box they fall into.
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 08-26-09 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    08-26-09 06:43 PM
    He prolly knew what he was talking about, just wanted to make some sales for some comission! LOL People should do their research before "phone shopping" or they deserve to get ripped off.
    08-26-09 08:37 PM
    He prolly knew what he was talking about, just wanted to make some sales for some comission! LOL People should do their research before "phone shopping" or they deserve to get ripped off.
    No one deserves to be ripped off.
    08-26-09 10:26 PM
    Right.......

08-27-09 01:38 AM
    That's like saying that old ladies deserve to get mugged for walking down the street.
    08-27-09 01:43 AM
    That's like saying that old ladies deserve to get mugged for walking down the street.
    Its like saying if grandma didn't have a gun then she deserved to get mugged...
    08-27-09 09:38 AM
    So you're upset that a rep didn't know everything about a phone that hasn't even been announced yet?
    08-27-09 09:43 AM
    I was just talkin about grandma...
    08-27-09 09:50 AM
    I feel like I just went in to a BAD comedy club.
    08-27-09 10:07 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD