Spoke with ATT when getting my vvm account activated and was told the charge is 0 for now as promotional, but it will be changed later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 07:25 AM
    Well, I for one will not pay them for getting "Data" off their servers and placing on my device! I will prolly opt out of VVM.

That's just the way I feel,...this would be the deal breaker for me.

Does anyone know if Verizon charges for VVM?
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 08-26-09 at 08:00 AM.
    08-26-09 07:28 AM
    yes...big red charges
    08-26-09 07:29 AM
    Will we be informed of this change when it happens? Or will we suddenly find ourselves being charged the extra five? $4.99 is totally not worth it. Especially for those of us that already pay $30 extra a month for the blackberry package. This should be included in the data package.
    08-26-09 07:31 AM
    use youmail...it's free and great
    08-26-09 07:33 AM
    If VVM is an additional $5.00 a month...I'm out. I don't even like it as much as I thought I might, and I'm certainly not going to pay for something that's not even on the AT&T server to begin with.
    08-26-09 07:36 AM
    They won't get 4.99 from me.
    08-26-09 07:37 AM
    Why would they charge Bold users while iPhone users get it free? Doesn't make sense.
    08-26-09 07:42 AM
    i sure hope they don't...but nowhere does it or did it say that this free price was promotion only...
    08-26-09 07:50 AM
    I agree, there is no indication that there would be a charge for VVM. Perhaps there won't be,...which would be great.

Like someone stated above,...if iphoners (....a new word here) don't have to pay for VVM, neither should 3B'ers (BlackBerry Bold Users).

That said, I for one really like VVM
    08-26-09 08:00 AM
    Question... I upgraded to vvm yesterday, thinking it would "translate my vm to text". Instead, all I get is a "stock" email with lots of jibberish.. Its the same email regardless of the voicemessage.

08-26-09 08:03 AM
    This is the text I get from vvm regarless of the vm: allntxacds09.attwireless.net:5400?f=0&v=420&m=3129 236805&p=&S=I&s=5433&t=4:3129236805:A:IndyAP26:ms1 4:client:539

08-26-09 08:09 AM
    That will be an easy way for me to switch back to iPhone and then I can cancel the extra $15 I pay each month for exchange support.
    08-26-09 08:13 AM
    Spoke with ATT when getting my vvm account activated and was told the charge is 0 for now as promotional, but it will be changed later.

And you know what they can do with that - right!?!? I'm not gonna give AT&T one more dime for anything else - especially since their signal strength is so poor in my area.

Peace...
    08-26-09 08:16 AM
    I like VVM, but wouldn't pay extra for it.

On a side note, an AT&T rep told me on Monday that VVM wouldn't be available until September 15... At best, this shows how misinformed the reps can be. At worst, maybe September 15 is the date they will start charging for VVM.
    Last edited by dagobah30; 08-26-09 at 08:34 AM.
    08-26-09 08:30 AM
    Could never get Youmail to sync with my contact book. Hated it.
    08-26-09 08:35 AM
    I think the AT&T rep is confused. Its the enhanced voice mail that costs $4.99/mo. There are free 3rd party apps and most of us would drop their VVM if charged for it. Just consider the source.....
    08-26-09 09:12 AM
    VVM on Verizon is $2.99 a month, first month free if you get it at time of activation or upgrade. I dont know why some of you would think it will be a forever free feature
    08-26-09 09:20 AM
    VVM on Verizon is $2.99 a month, first month free if you get it at time of activation or upgrade. I dont know why some of you would think it will be a forever free feature
    I think AT&T would have to look at it differently since iPhone users get VVM for free on their network. They would have a pretty bad PR scene on their hands if they give one subset of users a feature for free and then charge another subset of users for the exact same feature.
    08-26-09 09:23 AM
    I think AT&T would have to look at it differently since iPhone users get VVM for free on their network. They would have a pretty bad PR scene on their hands if they give one subset of users a feature for free and then charge another subset of users for the exact same feature.
    Especially when the iPhone has a greater drain on the network.
    08-26-09 09:26 AM
    AT&T Visual Voicemail | Wireless from AT&T

"AT&T Visual Voicemail AT&T Visual Voicemail provides an easier way to check voicemail. No more dialing into complicated voicemail menus. Visual Voicemail delivers messages directly to your handset, so you can review your voicemail messages anytime, anywhere, and in any order you choose.

Getting to important messages is simpler than ever:

Listen to important messages, in any order you choose
    View name or number of caller who left message
    Add contacts to your address book
    Delete messages
    Call back
    Reply via text message, email
    Forward voicemail audio via email or MMS
    Save voicemail audio to device memory or memory card
    Store up to 40 messages in the Inbox

Visual Voicemail is currently available – free with the purchase of a data plan – for the BlackBerry� Bold™ smartphone*.
    To add AT&T Visual Voicemail to your line of service, Log into your myWireless account, and purchase a data plan.

For help with adding Visual Voicemail to your service, see detailed instructions.

*BlackBerry� data plan is required for AT&T Visual Voicemail. Data used in replying to and forwarding voicemail messages via SMS, MMS or email is counted against your data plan. Applicable data charges apply if data plan limits have been exceeded. International data charges apply to receiving, replying to and forwarding voicemail messages while roaming internationally."

------
    Having read this, I find it very difficult to believe that in addition to paying for the data plan which this feature requires, we'd be charged for the feature itself (under our current contracts). And it doesn't mention that it's a promotional offer either. I know they can change whatever they want, whenever they want to, but I think it is highly unlikely that a change in the price would affect those who already pay for the data plan. As far as I know, when ATT changes prices and policies it only affects new customers and contracts [including upgrades for existing customers]. They call it "grandfather" plans. Since VVM requires the existing data plan, I consider it a new feature of that plan, thus included in the price of that plan, which can't be changed for existing customers of the plan who do not sign new contracts.

The way I see it, they could have created a new data plan w/ this new feature if they wanted to charge for it.

I imagine the most effective way for them to get away with charging us more for something they offered for "free" under no pretense of promotion is to get rid of the grandfather plan upon upgrading (and offer a new data plan at a new price), since they are not obligated to honor it after a new contract is signed.
    Last edited by I_love_my_bold; 08-26-09 at 09:52 AM. Reason: provisions
    08-26-09 09:42 AM
    Really a shame to repeat such unhelpful rumours, from unknowledgeable agents. It's free and will MOST LIKELY remain such for those who get it on their Bold.

Visual Voicemail is available for the BlackBerry Bold smartphone. Visual Voicemail is free* of charge to customers with a BlackBerry data plan.
    I'm no attorney, but they have enough to know not to live up to their own words. Somebody soon may pay for VVM, but not iPhone plans or BB Bold plan holders.
    08-26-09 10:19 AM
    I am speaking to a rep right now. The VVM is free for good as long as you have the data plan. Who ever spoke to a rep and heard 4.99...that was probably bout the enhanced voice mail. VVM will continue to be free as long as you have the data plan. No need to worry anyone.
    08-26-09 10:28 AM
    Enhanced VM was $1.99 for me so I'm not sure what this $4.99 is supposed to be for.

08-26-09 11:04 AM
    I know this thread is done with but...

Youmail is garbage in comparison to a RIM supported feature. It's slow and bothersome. It's like using a 3rd party email app.
    09-04-09 03:40 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD