Since the "upgrade", the Message icon retains the red asterisk new message indicator even after I check and read/delete the messages in one of the pop mail / bes / gmail message folders.

The red asterisk does not go away in this all Messages folder. It does go away in the individual mail account icons. The only way to get rid of it is to click the icon.

Prior to the upgrade, just reading the mail within the individual mail account folders would remove this asterisk from the all Messages folder. So I'm fairly sure something occured with this upgrade.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix? Thanks
    08-26-09 06:54 AM
    Are you sure that you dont have a lingering message from the upgrade, the welcome message or anything?

Go to the messages folder, scroll to the top, and then press menu then mark all read, then battery pull. Should help.
    08-26-09 07:01 AM
    Positive. All is clear. As I mentioned, the asterisk goes away by just clicking on the icon. There is no message in the all Messages folder since they have already been read or deleted in one of the individual mail account icons.

Once I click on that all Messages icon and quickly escape out, the red asterisk goes away.

Its almost as if there is some massive delay in recognizing that mail has been read but I have left it alone for an hour and it does not go away on its own. requires me to click on the icon and back out again.
    08-26-09 07:29 AM
    Had the same problem... go to your message folder, click on view saved messages. You'll see a "successfully registered on the network" message that didn't appear before. You can then delete it and the message indicator will be gone.
    08-26-09 07:43 AM
    Another way to be 100% sure, go to the message folder, click menu button and select "Mark Prior Opened".

That will mark all messages as read.
    08-26-09 08:37 AM
    Thanks all. I didnt have any saved messages but I did the Mark Prior fix, went into folders and saw that missed calls also shows up as unread messages now. Weird. Also did a battery pull after all that.

So far, it seems to be fixed based on some recent emails I have received.

Fingers crossed.
    08-26-09 08:39 AM
    Thanks all. I didnt have any saved messages but I did the Mark Prior fix, went into folders and saw that missed calls also shows up as unread messages now. Weird. Also did a battery pull after all that.

So far, it seems to be fixed based on some recent emails I have received.

Fingers crossed.
    You can turn that off. press the call button, menu then options, call logging then none.
    08-26-09 08:42 AM
    Since the "upgrade", the Message icon retains the red asterisk new message indicator even after I check and read/delete the messages in one of the pop mail / bes / gmail message folders.

The red asterisk does not go away in this all Messages folder. It does go away in the individual mail account icons. The only way to get rid of it is to click the icon.

Prior to the upgrade, just reading the mail within the individual mail account folders would remove this asterisk from the all Messages folder. So I'm fairly sure something occured with this upgrade.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix? Thanks
    Yup, I'm having the same problem. I'm curious to hear the fix.
    08-26-09 10:35 AM
    Looks like the fix has already been posted.
    08-26-09 10:42 AM
    Haven't quite figured out the right combination for this to happen, but I've gotten the phantom asterisk even though all the messages have been read.

This morning, I got an email while in-holster. Pulled it out of the holster (which opens the new message), read it, deleted it, backed out to the home screen and the phantom asterisk stayed. However, I tried to reproduce this, and the asterisk went away.
    08-26-09 11:08 AM
    I get this problem every once in awhile, and its usually my theme (or at least i think) whenever i changed themes and go back its gone.
    08-26-09 11:11 AM
    Yup, I'm having the same problem. I'm curious to hear the fix.
    This is what I did and the issue went away. From the All Messages folder, click Options and View Saved Messages. Check that you have no unread messages there.

Then from the all Messages folder, go to the very top and in the blackberry menu, select Mark All Prior Read.

Then from this same folder, from the blackberry menu, click on View Folder. Scroll to Missed Calls folder. Be sure those are all marked as read or deleted. I actually deleted them since I dont care to log those.

After I did all that I did a battery pull. Not sure if the above works without a pull but you can send a test email and see if the asterisk doesnt disappear after you have read the mail in the individual email account folder.

Hope this helps.
    08-26-09 11:24 AM
    This may sound simplistic...but try a battery pull.....
    08-26-09 11:25 AM
    Having same issue...also a significant memory leak...maybe this one doesn't like my apps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 11:35 AM
    This may sound simplistic...but try a battery pull.....
    it could be that simple. I had tried battery pulls a few times since the upgrade but still had the issue as of this morning. I did the steps above and a bettery pull so it could very well be that the battery pull was enough to fix my issue.
    08-26-09 11:43 AM
    This is what I did and the issue went away. From the All Messages folder, click Options and View Saved Messages. Check that you have no unread messages there.

Then from the all Messages folder, go to the very top and in the blackberry menu, select Mark All Prior Read.

Then from this same folder, from the blackberry menu, click on View Folder. Scroll to Missed Calls folder. Be sure those are all marked as read or deleted. I actually deleted them since I dont care to log those.

After I did all that I did a battery pull. Not sure if the above works without a pull but you can send a test email and see if the asterisk doesnt disappear after you have read the mail in the individual email account folder.

Hope this helps.
    In my case the issue continues. Not an issue with past messages, just with new ones. Tried everything suggested to no avail. The only way to clear the asterik is to go into the messages folder, it will not clear when in the individual emails icon (in my case two). I had to resort to strictly using the messages icon which I would prefer not to use. And at that point there is a bit of a lag before it clears...
    08-26-09 05:17 PM
    FWIW, I am noticing this bug after reading messages in Outlook. After a few minutes (for the reconcile interval to take place), the new message indicator in the device banner disappears, the red LED stops flashing, but the red asterisk remains on the Messages icon. If I click on the Messages icon, all items in the list are displayed as read (I only keep a few messages at a time). Once I return to the homescreen, the red asterisk on the Messages icon disappears without me ever opening a single message. Really odd behavior and it's never happened to me before. I performed a wireless upgrade.
    08-26-09 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD