This girl that lives next door to me just bought the Tour and told me everyone is complaining about her sounding muffled.

So I had her call me to see if it was something that occurred when calling other carriers or if it was across the board. Turns out, in this case at least, that it was across the board (she's on Verizon as well)

So I took her device dialed out and hit the menu (BB button)/edit audio qualities and saw that hers was set to "enhance bass." I changed it to NORMAL then hung up/pulled the battery and rechecked that the NORMAL setting was still selected (it was).

I then had her call me back and it was fixed. She callled a couple other people and the problem was gone.

I'm very curious now if this is the culprit.

If anybody is still experiencing this issue or is currently having the problem check your settings.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the culprit but it did fix the call quality on her phone.
    08-25-09 03:39 PM
    Very interesting..hopefully thats the fix.
    Muffle Tour owners please step up.
    08-25-09 04:32 PM
    I may be totally wrong here, but I thought that the enhance audio for headset and handset settings affected what you hear and not what was transmitted to the party you called.
    08-25-09 04:55 PM
    Maybe thats how its supposed to work, but I recall playing with it once and my wife complaining on the other end.
    08-25-09 05:03 PM
    You're correct danoh so that's why I want to see if it is a bug in the OS. Would be quite a find if it was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 05:08 PM
    You're correct danoh so that's why I want to see if it is a bug in the OS. Would be quite a find if it was.

Indeed.

And hey, bring back your old avatar
    08-25-09 05:26 PM
    Nice.. It'll show you on the call screen too if you're using bass or treble boost aswell i noticed. I haven't had any complaints other than bluetooth being horrible
    08-25-09 05:32 PM
    I never had a complaint but I did check my settings and it was set to normal.
    08-25-09 05:37 PM
    If I had my old one I would have checked, got my replacement and checked and it is set to normal. Thanks OP
    08-25-09 05:51 PM
    I just hung up with a friend who said my voice sounded muffled. I searched here and found this thread and checked my Tour settings. it was set to previous whatever that means. I set it to normal, no battery pull or anything and called my friend back and he said it sounded much better!
    08-25-09 08:21 PM
    I just hung up with a friend who said my voice sounded muffled. I searched here and found this thread and checked my Tour settings. it was set to previous whatever that means. I set it to normal, no battery pull or anything and called my friend back and he said it sounded much better!
    Very nice...2 for 2. Glad it worked for you.

I think we need more success stories before ruling this a winner. Off to a decent start though.

*edit: forgot to congratulate you for searching, good job : ) *
    Last edited by cereal killer; 08-25-09 at 08:42 PM.
    08-25-09 08:38 PM
    I have treble boost on....... Sounds even better. I did this rightout of the box. Every one says i sound loud and clear. It also seems to help on my end.

08-25-09 08:42 PM
    I have treble boost on....... Sounds even better. I did this rightout of the box. Every one says i sound loud and clear. It also seems to help on my end.

right..but I'm wondering if the phones that are affected have the setting off of normal by default are experiencing this.

The default is NORMAL...
    08-25-09 08:48 PM
    Good point CK, maybe we should test ours with bass boost on to see if we sound muffled, then put it back to normal.

Btw , hope you didnt change your avatar cause of that nmsrt8 dude.

08-25-09 08:53 PM
    Mind is set to default on normal. No complaints about voice quality at all besides people saying my voice is too soft. Speak up!
    08-25-09 09:02 PM
    This girl that lives next door to me just bought the Tour and told me everyone is complaining about her sounding muffled.

So I had her call me to see if it was something that occurred when calling other carriers or if it was across the board. Turns out, in this case at least, that it was across the board (she's on Verizon as well)

So I took her device dialed out and hit the menu (BB button)/edit audio qualities and saw that hers was set to "enhance bass." I changed it to NORMAL then hung up/pulled the battery and rechecked that the NORMAL setting was still selected (it was).

I then had her call me back and it was fixed. She callled a couple other people and the problem was gone.

I'm very curious now if this is the culprit.

If anybody is still experiencing this issue or is currently having the problem check your settings.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the culprit but it did fix the call quality on her phone.
    Good catch there.

Thanks for tip - I do not have this problem, but I will need to check the spouces phone.
    08-25-09 09:08 PM
    Thanks for the tip. i just bought this tour today. Saved me a lot of trouble.

Very nice...2 for 2. Glad it worked for you.

I think we need more success stories before ruling this a winner. Off to a decent start though.

*edit: forgot to congratulate you for searching, good job : ) *
    08-25-09 09:09 PM
    Base - Treble -Normal setting has nothing to do with outgoing call quality...just incoming earpiece.
    My hope was setting to normal ,making call , end call then battery pull right after would correct if it was OS related problem.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-25-09 at 09:43 PM.
    08-25-09 09:40 PM
    Tried normal and treble boost.. both still getting muffled complains from people I am talking to
    08-25-09 09:47 PM
    Good catch there.

Thanks for tip - I do not have this problem, but I will need to check the spouces phone.
    let us know how it turns out.

08-25-09 10:31 PM
    First off my phone works fine. No muffle complaints from people I call. Just tried changing settings and did nothing to effect my phone in a bad way.
    08-25-09 11:49 PM
    CK, how long until you can solve the Bluetooth problem now? Let me know when you do please!

You're like the king of RIM now! (Um, ok that sounds bad, doesn't it?)
    08-26-09 12:10 AM
    LoL...That is one title i do not want

08-26-09 08:11 PM
    CK, how long until you can solve the Bluetooth problem now? Let me know when you do please!

ha that one I can't help you with. I only know 2 people with a Tour and the other one is fine (don't use BT)......

LOL king of RIM.....thats just terrible.... : )

I think GG1 has it right hahaha
    08-26-09 08:52 PM
    This "fix" has been around about as long as the Tour has been out. I don't believe it actually does anything. I've had 2 different Tours and this hasn't made any difference for me. If it has for you, congrats, but my experience and that of many others says differently.

I think this is a physical design issue, not a software issue. Don't believe me? Leave yourself a VM holding the phone at the top. Muffled. Now leave another message holding the phone at the bottom with your palm cupped around the bottom deflecting the sound into the mic hole. Presto! Instant voice clarity.

08-26-09 09:07 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD