Ok so I am wondering who likes which one more, Atnt or Youmail. The reason I am also asking is I have used youmail for a few weeks and love it. especially the Caller ID if someone leaves you a message and they aren't in your contacts. My bigger question about the Ant VVM is does it have the same caller ID feature???
    08-25-09 07:54 AM
    It does not appear to offer the same caller ID feature. One other thing that AT&T VVM does not do (if you have subscribed to this feature on YouMail) is transcribe the voicemail. I'm looking for a service that allows you to selectively forward the .amr files (AT&T VVM sends you .amr files as opposed to YouMail sending you .mp3 files).
    08-25-09 08:10 AM
    well thats good to know. I did not know that atnt send the .amr files. But i do live the youmail Caller ID thing, too bad atnt doesn't have this feature.
    Last edited by Tennispro4ever; 08-25-09 at 08:22 AM. Reason: wrong file type
    08-25-09 08:21 AM
    From everything I've heard I think I'm going to stick with You Mail. I also love the the automated contact greetings since I use my Bold for work and pleasure. Plus I hate recording a VM prompt.
    08-25-09 10:29 AM
    Sound quality was never that good for me on YouMail.

There are benefits to YouMail, for sure but nice to have this native app without needing to forward calls.
    08-25-09 10:44 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/att...il-vvm-301313/

ATT will be bare bones vvm, while youmail has caller ID, call ditching, notification of missed calls and hangups even if out of service or phone turned off, smart greetings with names, custom greetings which can be changed via the bb app.
    08-25-09 10:47 AM
    I'm sticking with youmail.

I have no desire to even try at&t's vvm. In fact, when I install the OS, I am not installing vvm.

Youmail is a fantastic service. I don't use the youmail app. I just have the messages delivered as wav files to my email. I archive all of my voicemail on my gmail account. So even if youmail is no longer, I still have all my files.

So basically one less app running at all times with not having vvm or the youmail app.

Another thing I like about youmail. I get sms alerts for missed calls. Yes, this happens a LOT on at&t. Someone tries to call me, they get my voicemail, but do not leave a message. Phone didn't even ring because it was either busy doing something else or out of service. Knowing that someone tried to call is nice.

Everytime someone calls me and gets my youmail smart greeting, they comment about it. LOL, they get freaked out that my voicemail just called them by name.
    08-25-09 10:47 AM
    Sound quality was never that good for me on YouMail.

There are benefits to YouMail, for sure but nice to have this native app without needing to forward calls.

Switch to wav files instead of mp3. and have them delivered via email.
    08-25-09 10:48 AM
    I have had youmail for about a month. I just switched over to the Att voicemail service today so I can test it out.

I have not decided which service I will use but a few comments about my experience so far.

Youmail positives - Personalized greetings "Hello john, Mike is not available, please leave a message". Ability to block number and leave personal message "hello telemarketer, please remove me from your list and dont call anymore". You can receive a message about missed calls if you are in an area with no service even if they dont leave a message.

Youmail Negatives - Vms sometimes show up very slowly in the youmail application. Also the downloading of the messages can be very slow. I have also had problems with the application sometimes to the point that I have to uninstall and reinstall the app. Ads at the bottom of emails and texts from youmail. Full functionality costs a monthly fee.

only started using ATT VVM today so these comments are based on testing it out today.

ATT VVM positives - Voicemails show up in vvm application instantly after vm is left, tested on both 3G and 2G and seems to be the same. Pop up shows new voicemail and if the number is in your address book it shows name, which number, and picture stored in address book (have not tested but if you have the option enabled with facebook it should show the facebook picture of the contact). The audio of the voicemail downloads very quickly. Personal or standard greeting options. can record personal greetings through vvm application without calling into att voicemail service. Free feature

ATT VVM negatives - no personalized greetings for each number, no blocking of ability for certain numbers to leave messages.

Both services have the ability to forward messages, save messages.

I hope this helps with anyone wondering about both applications. i will update things as I learn more about att vvm
    Last edited by antsmrchnn; 08-25-09 at 11:05 AM.
    08-25-09 11:03 AM
    YouMail for me.
    08-25-09 11:12 AM
    Youmail got on my nerves, it seriously acted buggy on my berry. I've considered trying it out again... However, I am not too excited about trying out VVM either. It still seems Youmail comes out ahead.
    08-25-09 11:27 AM
    I love youmail. So far I'm not very impressed with atnt so I'm keeping youmail. Also youmail can be used over wifi as to where atnt you must have a cell signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 11:57 AM
    youmail is a nobrainer, I can't even see att vvm in my rear view mirror.
    08-25-09 12:03 PM
    I downloaded YouMail but never set it up. Glad now, made VVM easier to setup for the ATT version. Like it so far, I don't really understand the hate for it?? All I'd really want extra from YouMail is personalized greetings.

I'll stick with the ATT version, it's easy. Was never a big deal to me anyways, just an added feature now.
    08-25-09 12:13 PM
    Why no voicemail transcribing?

I guess Google Voice will blow all this crap out of the water.
    08-25-09 12:17 PM
    Youmail just got better

Announcing YouMail DropBox

YouMail is pleased to announce DropBox, a new, free service that allows people to integrate VoIP and PBX voicemail with your cell phone voicemail.

The only catch is that your VoIP or PBX must support delivering voicemails by e-mail as MP3 or WAV files..

DropBox is fully compatible with the following major VoIP and PBX providers including:

eVoice
    Google Voice
    ooma
    magicJack
    Packet 8 (8x8)
    Phone.com
    RingCentral
    Vonage

YouMail also supports many other PBX and VoIP services, and is rapidly adding more.

Every YouMail customer has a DropBox at [email protected] (ie. [email protected]) where ‘myphonenumber’ is your 10 digit phone number associated with your YouMail account.

How do I start using YouMail DropBox?

If you receive voicemails delivered by email from another service provider, simply go to your current voicemail system’s configuration pages (ie. Vonage), and change the e-mail address the voicemail goes to. The new email address should be directed to your DropBox. YouMail will take care of forwarding any necessary confirmations of your new e-mail address.
    All voicemails sent to your DropBox should then appear in the YouMail inbox. Once there in YouMail, you have access to key YouMail features including access from mobile apps (BlackBerry, iPhone, Android) and website, voicemail sharing, spam filtering, and much more. You’ll even get full caller id from most services – but if you’re using a service we don’t know about, your message will be treated as having an unknown caller id.

Still listening to voicemail! READ your messages with voice-to-text transcription. Works great with DropBox!
    Learn more about how to use DropBox! Read our FAQ’s. If you have any questions or issues, just e-mail us at [email protected].
    Thanks!
    The YouMail Team
    Last edited by mookish; 08-25-09 at 12:44 PM.
    08-25-09 12:41 PM
    I never did get use to the voicemail icon not coming up anymore. I appreciated the text messages letting me know I had a missed call from so and so, but it's rare (if at all) and often times irrelevant if I miss a call from someone who needed to talk to me but didn't leave a vm.

I love the idea of having a personal greeting for a caller, but I know it isn't necessary.

Blocking and diverting calls is a good idea too, but I have google voice to handle this in the future. As of current, I haven't given my number out.

I'll be sticking with ATT's VVM and hope that they'll be adding more features in the future. I just like being able to look at who left the voicemail without having to dial (in case I don't have time to listen to vmail) in case more than one call is missed. Transcription will be the next big thing, but I know it wont come free.
    08-25-09 12:43 PM
    I guess Google Voice will blow all this crap out of the water.
    It does. I'm using GV as my voicemail now and plan to use it for calling too once they allow you to port your # to GV.
    08-27-09 02:44 PM
    I love my YouMail simply because of the personalized greetings. Almost everyone that hears it comments on how cool it is. I dont even use the youmail app because it was too slow. I know I got a VM from the email that pops up instantly, do I really need to open the app, wait for it to realize there is a message, then download the actual message? 9 times out of 10 I just delete the email without even listening to the message. On the off chance I need to hear it, I just open the attachment directly from the email.
    08-27-09 03:17 PM
    I love my YouMail simply because of the personalized greetings. Almost everyone that hears it comments on how cool it is. I dont even use the youmail app because it was too slow. I know I got a VM from the email that pops up instantly, do I really need to open the app, wait for it to realize there is a message, then download the actual message? 9 times out of 10 I just delete the email without even listening to the message. On the off chance I need to hear it, I just open the attachment directly from the email.
    I use the app to change greetings, I have about 25 on my list, at work, in a meeting, sleep, gone for the weekend, on a plane, hungover....att and google still need to catch up.
    08-27-09 04:09 PM
    I downloaded the new OS and I got a message saying "provisioning is unsuccessful. To resolve this issue, contact your wireless service provider." Is there any other way to fix this without calling and spending an hour on the phone with AT&T?
    08-27-09 04:22 PM
    I downloaded the new OS and I got a message saying "provisioning is unsuccessful. To resolve this issue, contact your wireless service provider." Is there any other way to fix this without calling and spending an hour on the phone with AT&T?
    OMG, call your voicemail and re-do the setup!
    08-27-09 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD