Storm 2(odin) or the reigning champ Iphone?...and what will be the best seller iphone or blackberry on verizon
    08-23-09 08:14 PM
    iPhone will outsell no question.
    08-23-09 08:58 PM
    These threads comparing to the iPhone are getting so old. Stop comparing BB's to the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 09:02 PM
    Motorola sholes will blow the storm1, storm2, and iphone outa of the water. so go get the Motorola Sholes..only way togo..
    08-23-09 09:06 PM
    LOL

08-23-09 09:13 PM
    I'm gonna get a storm2 and that is even if the iphone comes to verizon as some are saying. However that being said I think the iphone will out sell it. Over all thou BBs will out sell the iphone, that is combined storm, bold, curve and pearl lines.

08-23-09 09:19 PM
    I'm with pkcable, I'm going to get a Storm 2 as well. I think the Storm 2 will be a very popular device, but I still see the iPhone being the top selling device. The only caveat is the time frame you consider. With rumors that the Storm 2 will launch on multiple carriers and if all of those carriers get it before Christmas, we might just see a bump in Storm 2 sales that puts the Storm 2 in the top spot for a quarter.

Regardless, the touchscreen market is the new focus market. Nobody is moving from candybar to clamshell, and likewise nobody is moving from touchscreen to keyboard. Yeah, there are exceptions, but as a general rule, we're moving towards touchscreens. As more people adopt them the diversity of offerings increases. So, the Storm line looks to continue to be very popular and the new Storm 2 looks to be a great refinement of what people wanted in the Storm 1, and a slight improvement after that as well. It'll be a strong brand for the consumer market and I predict that it will have a far wider penetration in the corporate market than the Storm 1 had.

The Android offerings will be successful, but IMHO, none of them will beat out the Storm 2 or the iPhone.

Personally, I'm curious to see what the next few handsets from Palm will be, as I'm extremely impressed with their WebOS, and if they start making competitive devices on which to run it, I'm definitely going to check it out.
    08-23-09 09:45 PM
    It will be hard for anything to outsell the iPhone. That being said, I definitely will be getting a Storm 2 the first day! It doesn't matter if the iPhone comes or the Pre or if the Android phone is there. I like the Blackberry and I like a touchscreen. Simple, it's a Storm for me!
    08-23-09 10:50 PM
    well I really can't gauge the Storm 1 because I don't have solid info, but I would guess that it really didn't do as much damage as Verizon and RIM had hoped it would do against the iPhone war machine.

Hardware wise as we continue to learn the Storm 2 can put up a fight with the iPhone. The problem is that as much as I hate to say it (I really like my BB) the RIM OS is reallllly not up to par with what Apple has running under the hood of their iPhone. And of course Apple would because that's what Apple does best. Apple spanks PC's not because their laptops and devices are nicer looking and better quality (which I think in general they are) but because their OS blows MS Windows away. Apple really is a company that has perfected the art of making OS's that are intuitive, easy to use, and fresh.

I haven't played with OS 5.0 but I really hope it is something new and really solid. RIM isn't gonna compete with the iPhone at the hardware level, it's gonna have to compete at the OS level.

If this ends up not being the case I really think RIM needs to start fresh, assess everything from point zero and begin building a new killer OS beginning with the very first string of code.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 08-23-09 at 11:02 PM.
    08-23-09 11:00 PM
    Yea i'm getting tired of any new touch screen phone that comes out they are comparing it a iphone killer.
    08-27-09 04:55 PM
    Just give it a break get the phone that you would prefer and enjoy it.
    08-27-09 04:56 PM
    When it comes to numbers for any device, whatever it may be, it comes down to advertising/word-of-mouth/individual usage,etc. Most users have no clue what OS is running their phone or what the memory might be and so on. What they do know, is if the device is trouble-free, has the look and feel of what they want, and how user friendly the device may be. Oh, and is it "cool".

Playing "catch-up" is never an enviable position to be, and that is where all of the companies that are pumping out the touchscreen devices find themselves to be. BB has a reputation for being a "business" device/phone. To cross over into the consumer market against those companies that have been developing UI for the consumer for years is a giant leap. As someone else has said in a past post, BB does not want to compromise their known security advantages just to challenge. There would have to be some good reasons to do so. Money is a strong motivator, however.
    08-27-09 06:25 PM
    Apple is not going to make a CDMA iPhone just for Verizon unless the FCC forces them to. The worldwide penetration of GSM (~80%) is just too great over CDMA. And obviously, between the two GSM carriers in the US, AT&T is better equipped than T-Mobile to handle all of the 3G data being used.

When LTE becomes more widespread, then you'll see the iPhone on both AT&T and Verizon. It's not really a matter of which company was able to cough up the dough to keep them, it was a matter of availability and accessibility of network technologies.
    08-27-09 07:37 PM
    iPhone will outsell the Storm without a question. I don't think the Storm1 gave it a good name, so to speak, with all the problems/complains it had.
    08-27-09 07:52 PM
    Apple is not going to make a CDMA iPhone just for Verizon unless the FCC forces them to. The worldwide penetration of GSM (~80%) is just too great over CDMA. And obviously, between the two GSM carriers in the US, AT&T is better equipped than T-Mobile to handle all of the 3G data being used.

When LTE becomes more widespread, then you'll see the iPhone on both AT&T and Verizon. It's not really a matter of which company was able to cough up the dough to keep them, it was a matter of availability and accessibility of network technologies.
    False. iPhone was actually destined to debut on VZW. The deal fell through because both companies are known for being very manipulative. Therefore AT&T let themselves get rear ended by Apple, but I guess it turned out well for them in the end.
    08-27-09 08:27 PM
    Storm (or touch screen line on BBs) will ultimately come out ahead.
    08-27-09 11:23 PM
    False. iPhone was actually destined to debut on VZW. The deal fell through because both companies are known for being very manipulative. Therefore AT&T let themselves get rear ended by Apple, but I guess it turned out well for them in the end.
    That was the past. Now all of Apple's manufacturing processes are geared towards GSM. Would they really spend millions to rebuild the iPhone to have both CDMA and GSM radios (it will have to be a world phone, after all) and retool the production process just to jump onto Verizon when LTE is going to be offered by both Verizon and AT&T in the near future?

It's not as easy as you think it is to just switch from one standard to another. It's kind of like telling the US manufacturing industry to suddenly switch from English units to Metric. It just can't be done without paying loads of money out the rear.
    08-27-09 11:46 PM
    Here is how its gonna work:

If you want a phone with a compass, "bump contact transfer app", etc.. you'll get the Iphone

BUT

If you are a real man... you'll get the Odin LOL LOL LOL
    08-28-09 12:18 AM

If you want a phone with a compass, "bump contact transfer app", etc.. you'll get the Iphone

BUT

Well said sal.

I am a REAL man therefor I will get the Odin. Case closed.
    08-28-09 12:46 AM

BUT

But what if I tape a $2 compass to the back of my Storm 2's case?
    08-28-09 01:21 AM

BUT

iPhone 3GS w/Compass --> Boy Scouts
    Storm 2 --> Soldiers
    08-28-09 02:10 AM
    Well it all depends. And right now overall the iPone will win. It just a smooth machine. It o ly lacks the security abd business aspect. That is where the Blackberry trumps the iPhone.

08-28-09 02:11 AM
    If AT&T does get the Storm 2 it will be very interesting to see how many users ditch their iPhone for the Storm.
    08-28-09 02:23 PM
    Well it all depends. And right now overall the iPone will win. It just a smooth machine. It o ly lacks the security abd business aspect. That is where the Blackberry trumps the iPhone.

It also lacks multitasking and stereo bluetoof.
    08-28-09 02:41 PM
    If AT&T does get the Storm 2 it will be very interesting to see how many users ditch their iPhone for the Storm.
    Only if the price is right (i.e., $199).
    08-28-09 03:33 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD