Well, that's my question. I'm deciding whether I want to wait for VZW Curve or just move to AT&T when my contract is up. But I'm wondering if the slow internet speed AT&T has is really that bad in comparison to Sprint/VZW speeds. I always here criticisms about the iphone's browser speed so I'm curious.
    04-16-08 12:00 AM
    I have no complaints with EDGE. My bigger complaint would be that Verzion disables GPS so you have to pay for their service.
    04-16-08 12:12 AM
    I have no complains with edge either. I mean it's a mobile phone. I shouldn't be expecting computer speeds.
    04-16-08 12:23 AM
    you will notice a difference. whether or not you care is up to you.
    04-16-08 03:23 AM
    I have no complaints. It's fast enough for what I'm doing on it so I'm good.
    04-16-08 06:31 AM
    Edge is fast enough for me
    04-16-08 06:35 AM
    EDGE is fine for me, I have no complaints.
    You also need to be sure which Company is better in your area .
    Verizon says they are the best but in some areas that is not true.
    04-16-08 07:10 AM
    No issues here with EDGE as well in terms of speed. Its enough for phone internet. I don't get bored when pages are loading which is a good sign that its not toooooo slow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 07:14 AM
    I guess I just need to invite a friend over that has AT&T to see how the reception is here. I live in a new house and most phones only get 1 to 2 bars...when I tried Sprint I kept losing calls but VZW seems to be better at holding the call even in crappy conditions. I noticed that AT&T didn't offer an option for insurance on BB when I was checking out the price of everything I'd want...am I missing it or is it not available? and I know the VZW said it would be released with the OS that allows video recording and ability to use 8gb microsd...is AT&T version getting upgraded soon?
    04-16-08 12:18 PM
    I've only used EDGE so wouldn't know if I'm missing out

04-16-08 12:29 PM
    The iPhone's browser speed was being compared to WiFi. It is unfair comparison. Edge was great on it and fine on the Curve for me. Internet browsing isn't critical for me, so I don't pull my hair out waiting an extra 3-5 seconds.
    04-17-08 12:18 AM
    I have no problems with EDGE. Phones shouldn't need computer speeds (that's what computers are for!). I'm sure you'll notice a differencem but it's never been a big deal to me. Waiting that extra 3 seconds for a page to load won't kill me.

It's all up to you though.
    04-17-08 12:42 PM
    That is really a decision you will have to make. I personally went from Verizon EV-DO to AT&T Edge and hated it. It seemed so slow to me that I actually went back to Verizon. I'll just wait the two weeks for their Curve if it means better internet speed.

It also depends on how important the speed really is for you. Me...I'm just impatient.
    04-17-08 12:57 PM
    If you have ever used EVDO or 3G, you will notice the difference. Does that mean it is unbearably slow? No, not at all. A lot of complaints about the iPhone's speed over EDGE is because it loads full and complete webpages 95% of the time, which are far more prone to slowing you down. The BlackBerry on the other hand smartly reformats websites (most of the time), and strips out unnecessary data before sending the information to your phone, which helps to speed it up.
    04-17-08 12:57 PM
    Edge is a pretty good speed for me. I use it to browse the internet when I'm bored. I like it.
    04-17-08 01:12 PM
    All depends on where you're at.

Here in my area, "EDGE" speeds are usually 3-5 kilobytes a second.

And funny enough, Sprint's EV-DO speeds are around 20-30 kilobytes per second in my area, which is what EDGE should be. In that case, I feel EDGE is fast enough when it's at optimal performance.
    04-17-08 06:13 PM
    I'm happy with the speed of my at&t curve!!!!

04-17-08 08:30 PM
    All depends on where you're at.

Here in my area, "EDGE" speeds are usually 3-5 kilobytes a second.

And funny enough, Sprint's EV-DO speeds are around 20-30 kilobytes per second in my area, which is what EDGE should be. In that case, I feel EDGE is fast enough when it's at optimal performance.
    Ouch... That sounds painfully slow...
    04-17-08 08:56 PM
    EDGE is fast enough for me. I have encryption set-up so it's actually slower than what it could be. Using Opera Mini for full html browsing is slower obviously than using the mobile browser. I actually feel as though the phone's processing speed is the bottleneck, not the internet speeds. As a point of reference, I can load ESPN and CNN pages (html) in less than 30 seconds.
    04-19-08 11:31 AM
    What browser you use affects page loading speed as well. Opera mini is supposed to be much faster than the BB Internet Browser, though I haven't used it yet to verify this.
    04-20-08 12:00 PM
    What browser you use affects page loading speed as well. Opera mini is supposed to be much faster than the BB Internet Browser, though I haven't used it yet to verify this.
    That's only because Opera Mini renders and compresses the pages before it sends it to your phone.
    04-21-08 11:14 AM
    EDGE is ok for my needs, but I'm always happier when I can do the wi-fi thing instead. Since I have both Verizon and T-Mo (an 8320 and an 8830), I occasionally test the two to check speeds but that's not always easy since towers aren't always in vicinity to one another. Where T-Mo gets a great signal, VZW's may be weaker and vice versa. I feel it's simply not fair to compare the two in situations like that. Wi-Fi does tend to equalize the relatively minor differences, though.
    04-21-08 11:44 AM
    Edge works good for me..
    04-21-08 09:08 PM
    I use opera mini and edge is fine on my curve for me. but then again, never known anything but att.
    04-23-08 06:40 PM
    I've been on verizon EVDO and now I'm on EDGE, so far on my berry it's not an issue. I really didn't notice a difference on traffic on the berry. Where it does make a difference will be cost of using the berry tethered. I haven't checked out the speed on EDGE because after talking to the att reps, the cheapest tethering option is an additional 60 buck!!! On the Verzon network if you want to add this feature (if you have voice and bb data) it' was a $15 up charge and well worth the money because EVDO is fast (if you have good coverage) and well worth the additional $15. I can't justify $60 more to get the tether option on my att berry, I'm sorry I will wait till I get to the hotel or find an open access point.

Any one else have tethering on att and not paying a fortune? let me know, if I could get the tethering for 20 bucks or less, then it might be worth it.
    04-23-08 06:53 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD