I have searches all the threads for days and checked out the threads on Handbrake, but Handbrake has changed significantly since the older threads and are not applicable anymore.

What is the best program and settings to use to convert movies so they will play full screen like the Babylon AD trailer ?

I have downloaded several movies from XML and they all look great on the phone but they are not full screen. How can I convert them ?
    08-22-09 07:54 AM
    handbrake

/end thread
    08-22-09 08:14 AM
    handbrake

/end thread

I am on a MAC and have downloaded the current version of Handbrake... handbrake will not allow me to convert to 480x360... the step by step How to posted back in November/December with handbrake screen shots is no longer applicable as handbrake has changed
    08-22-09 08:28 AM
    real player sp
    08-22-09 10:18 AM
    In handbrake just use the iPod Touch/iPhone preset. Looks and sounds great.
    08-22-09 10:22 AM
    handbrake

/end thread
    ^^^

Hate to repeat what everyone else is saying but Handbrake is the only video converter I even got to work even slightly properly. Every other one I tried resulted in out-of-sync audio, really bad compression, unreadable file on the phone, or all of the above. If you can't follow the step by step guide because some of the options have changed just use the iPhone preset. The screen sizes are very similar and both phones read the same video codec.

You can select the iPhone preset from the right-hand side of the app, there's a list of devices. Just click on iPhone, then select your video file and hit convert.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 08-22-09 at 11:52 AM.
    08-22-09 11:49 AM
    Total Video Converter.
    Has every option you need.

I just use Iphone Touch settings...too easy.
    08-22-09 11:53 AM
    I bought the dvd to go from the crackberry store and it works perfectly. Great program that I would recommend. It was $18.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 01:00 PM
    Doesnt work for me... must be doing something wrong. I took Angels and Demons, avi file i downloaded from ZML, used handbrake to convert to mp4 using the Ipod settings and also a second time using the iphone and ipod touch settings and still, the movies is widescreen format on my Storm. Looks great, but widescreen with the large black borders on the top and bottom.
    I am not having any luck in getting the movies to be true full screen. Any help would be appreciated.
    08-22-09 01:48 PM
    I use this program to convert all my avi's for my storm. Its really simple, pick the avi, and save, its pretty quick, only 2 steps.

Convert AVI to MP4, One Free Video Converting Software
    Last edited by ksmontoya; 08-22-09 at 03:23 PM.
    08-22-09 03:18 PM
    08-22-09 03:42 PM
    I second this one

08-22-09 03:46 PM
    Doesnt work for me... must be doing something wrong. I took Angels and Demons, avi file i downloaded from ZML, used handbrake to convert to mp4 using the Ipod settings and also a second time using the iphone and ipod touch settings and still, the movies is widescreen format on my Storm. Looks great, but widescreen with the large black borders on the top and bottom.
    I am not having any luck in getting the movies to be true full screen. Any help would be appreciated.
    I Read That Your On A Mac Computer As So Am I, Handbrake Works Alright With Converting Videos. I Could Only Think Of A Solution For This On A PC, I Use A PC To Convert Videos And Such.

If Can Use A PC To Convert Videos, GREAT! Let Me Know, I Would Be Happy To Explain How You Can Convert It Onto High Quality On A .mp4 Format Full Screen.
    08-22-09 03:58 PM
    Thank You ! This one worked ! I was able to convert Angels and Demons to full screen. This is the only program that I have tried that did it.
    Looks great, only very slightly stretched out, but very minor
    08-23-09 07:11 AM
    That movie was filmed in 2.35 AR, it is suppose to have the black bar on the top and bottom. It will not fill the entire screen if you converted it correctly, which was what handbrake was doing.

Now you have a stretched appearance because you dont have the AR correct and it it 'filling' the screen with a distorted picture.

You need to read up more on what aspect ratios and black bars are about. Filling the the screen should not be your concern.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-23-09 at 10:29 AM.
    08-23-09 10:07 AM
    That movie was filmed in 2.35 AR, it is suppose to have the black bar on the top and bottom. It will not fill the entire if you converted it correctly, which was what handbrake was doing.

Now you have a stretched appearance because you dont have the AR correct and it it 'filling' the screen with a distorted picture.

You need to read up more on what aspect ratios and black bars are about. Filling the the screen should not be your concern.
    I'm with you on that one, many movie are made in widescreen format and look great on the phone regardless. If it's in widescreen, I either leave it that way or don't put it on my phone at all.
    08-23-09 10:14 AM
    I'm with you on that one, many movie are made in widescreen format and look great on the phone regardless. If it's in widescreen, I either leave it that way or don't put it on my phone at all.
    I do know what the black bars mean.
    Before converting I realized that the image would appear stretched out if doing so. My point is, that it is not as stretched out as other posts in these forums made it out to be..... , it is just a phone, Im not expecting perfection when it comes to watching movies on it. Id rather save that for the theater or my home video. I think Ill stick with a larger ratio. The phones got some great Real estate on it and I'd like to use it.

What movies today are not made in Widescreen ?
    Last edited by Jazz_nh; 08-23-09 at 06:48 PM.
    08-23-09 06:38 PM
    Hmmm....I'm a Handbrake fan, but this one looks like a contender. Downloading now. Let's see what this one can do.
    08-23-09 06:49 PM
    I do know what the black bars mean.
    Before converting I realized that the image would appear stretched out if doing so. My point is, that it is not as stretched out as other posts in these forums made it out to be..... , it is just a phone, Im not expecting perfection when it comes to watching movies on it. Id rather save that for the theater or my home video. I think Ill stick with a larger ratio. The phones got some great Real estate on it and I'd like to use it.

What movies today are not made in Widescreen ?
    None that would look good in HD. I'm glad that the program works for you, and you're right because there are some people out here that expect they're movies to be in HD on a phone and that's not gonna happen....atleast not yet.
    08-23-09 06:52 PM
    And once again crackberry.com rocks! ... Handbrake has worked fine for me but I am going to give Videora a test drive. Always nice to have opitons, and Handbrake, while creating perfect copies in 480x360 with great sound and no "audio/video synching" issues did take a long time to render Custom Settings (and yes, I have a very fast PC) ... I'll see how Videora compares to Handbrake regarding final output vs render time.
    08-23-09 09:43 PM
    And once again crackberry.com rocks! ... Handbrake has worked fine for me but I am going to give Videora a test drive. Always nice to have opitons, and Handbrake, while creating perfect copies in 480x360 with great sound and no "audio/video synching" issues did take a long time to render Custom Settings (and yes, I have a very fast PC) ... I'll see how Videora compares to Handbrake regarding final output vs render time.
    Please post your results here for others to choose from.
    08-23-09 09:46 PM
    Using Videora, I was able to take Angels and Demons which was in 480x202 resulting in large black bars, and converted it to 480x272. Still has black bars which is normal, but the viewing size with 202 is just too small. 360 was too stretched and 272 seems a perfect balance.
    08-25-09 05:22 AM
    I went through the steps using videora, started to convert the file, and it never started. Continued to say ' starting conversion' or something similar but the progress bar never changed or moved. The program seemed simple enough. Any ideas besides user error? : p

Last edited by kniprm; 08-25-09 at 08:10 AM.
    08-25-09 08:07 AM
    After you selected your file to convert, you clicked on the Progress button, was there an active conversion listed ?
    08-25-09 07:47 PM
    How about using the blackberry desk top manager to convert a movie will it work or take too long to convert.
    08-25-09 08:00 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD