Is there a way to assign a static IP address to my BB8320 Curve (T-Mobile) so that I has a "permanent" place on my office wireless router (Linksys WRT54G).

DHCP is causing me all kinds of connection problems, and I'd like to permanently set it up, but have no idea how to do that.

Thanks!
    04-15-08 11:07 AM
    You could have it set up so that the router assigns the same IP address to a certain MAC address each time it connects.

Not sure how you can do that on your router though. A quick search in google says its not possible with your router? Maybe you know for sure it's possbile?

Linksys WRT54G questions | Ask Metafilter
    04-15-08 12:27 PM
    I know that I have a wireless camera set up with a static IP, so I would assume that it can be done with another wireless device. In looking at the setup, it asks what ports should be active for that IP address... but I'm not sure if its getting the IP address from the camera, or if there was a setup that assigned the IP address to the camera.

Guess I'm going to have to do some more googleing. I had hoped that someone out here has done it and could guide me.

Thanks for the help, though!
    04-15-08 12:47 PM
    I have an 8310 so I don't have WiFi on my phone. I can't see the menus and options but if you can see where you put in an IP address then there is hope here.

The Linksys will provide a range of addresses for its DHCP server. Addresses in this range will be dynamically handed to any device than can connect to it. This applies equally to cabled and wireless connections.

Linksys typeically uses 10 to 20 addresses depending on the model.

The Liknsys itself will have the address 192.168.1.1 if the factory settings have not been changed. You local network has full acc3ss to IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.0 - 255. The DHCP range will most likely be from 10 - 30.

Thus if you set your 8320 to have an address either above or below the DHCP range but NOT within it or the router's DHCP server will try to assign that address to any old device that requests an address and you will end up with an IP address conflict. 192.168.1.201 is a good address that is usually free.

I do not reccomend that you use 0 or 255 but anywhere else will be fine. Make sure that your Subnet Mask is set to the same as that of the router. Probably 255.255.255.0

The DHCP server in Linksys routers is highly reliable. I have installed well over 200 of them. I have never had a problem with using it for all sorts of devices. I have never installed a BB on one though.

Pete
    04-15-08 12:49 PM

Pete6 knows his stuff.

It is simple enough to edit your Wifi connection and configure your connection manualy.

As Pete6 noted, certain ranges are already in use, you want to avoid a conflict by selecting the top numbers in the range.

You can find the details of your current connection under Wifi Diagnostics Advanced.
    04-15-08 01:14 PM
    THanks Pete6 and Stoner... I think both of your helped solve my problem. I'll know better tomorrow when I get to the office!
    04-15-08 04:00 PM
    Hi Folks, I have the same issue with my 9700, I followed the instruction but got stuck on the last part Default gate way and the domain suffix on the wifi profile (plz see Reed mclay's post above with the pic), I don't know what to put in that field...any help is greatly appreciated!
    01-18-10 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD