Just wondering...I really want to get my hands on a Tour, but I'd prefer to not drop $489.99 for one. I'm only 6 months into my current contract with VZW- I called them and told them I wanted to upgrade from my Curve and asked if there was anything they could do...sadly they said "no".

I think it is a bummer that someone new can walk in the door and get 2 of these devices for $199 and VZW won't cut me some kind of discount on a Tour.

Is there another tactic I can use with VZW to try and save some $?
    08-21-09 11:28 AM
    I think it is a bummer that someone new can walk in the door and get 2 of these devices for $199 and VZW won't cut me some kind of discount on a Tour.
    Well they have to make money somehow, kind of hard for htem to make money if they just gave away phones. But when it comes to new people getting phones for $199 dont forget you can too. Get a new line of service and Voila! you have urself a $199 Shiney New Tour! Well and a second line of service with 2 year contract but hey thats how things work in life =)
    Last edited by N3rd4Christ; 08-21-09 at 11:36 AM.
    08-21-09 11:32 AM
    Nope. Although I am sure other will give one not so ethical ideas before to long.

Just like anything else, cable or sat TV. new customers will get a deal. You are in a two year contract and can get early upgrade at 20 months.

I bet you are happy with your device, but the toy is out and you want it. If you were to get it and are happy with the same thing would happen as soon as the next device comes out.

Enjoy your device and hang in there, your time will come. this will also gove you the options to see what else is new at the time your upgrade comes around.
    08-21-09 11:34 AM
    Is there another tactic I can use with VZW to try and save some $?

If by "tactic" you mean lying to them to get ur way im sure its possible but let that be on ur conscience.....
    08-21-09 11:37 AM
    Bottom line is that to stay on the leading edge of technology you need to drop some cash. If you have a brother or significant other you could always add someone to your plan and get the one of the blackberrys for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 11:46 AM
    doesn't Verizon have a retention department,for these things?
    08-21-09 12:07 PM
    There is one way. You can not have insurance on your line, and u tell them that you broke your phone. And ask them if there is anyway to upgrade. Most likely they will tell you that they could give you a one year pricing for that phone. But if they don't mention then you should mention that you heard from a friend or someone that there is a lost/stolen/broken phone upgrade. But there is a catch, you will not be eligible for the 2 year upgrade when you get this. Also this will not extend your contract. Hope this helped

08-21-09 12:10 PM
    I have found that if you call back a few times, you can sometimes get someone that is willing to do more for you.

A few ideas:
    1. See if their global dept is still offering $50 credit
    2. Try to get the one year pricing. Once you get your new phone, sell your Curve on ebay.

Selling your current phone will help offset the cost of a new tour.
    08-21-09 12:12 PM
    Call and threaten to cancel your service.
    I'm sure that will work you are the customer and it's their job to keep you happy.
    08-21-09 12:17 PM
    Idk, there might be, cuz i had bought my HTC TOuch Pro from sprint (which by the way was the worst keyboard ever! It always broke!!!!) on April 1st, and from then until about a week and a half ago, the sprint site was saying that i was still eligible for an upgrade. Needless to say i took advantage of a Blackberry Tour for 200 dollars on contract for an extra 3 months on my contract. Badass!

Hopefully they're still doing that. Good luck!
    08-21-09 01:43 PM
    Cancel ur contract and pay 150, buy new phone for 199, and you save 140. Sell curve on ebay for about 100. Now u saved 240

08-21-09 02:06 PM
    I walked in last night and added a line to my account. I got t
    2 Tours with the BOGO offer. Initially I wasn't eligible to get an upgrade until DEC 1st but after telling the salesman my wife will just stay on AT+T and ill add her to my account in DEC he went in the back and spoke to his manager. He returned very shortly with 2 Tours and let me add her line and upgrade from my Storm using the BOGO offer.

They can upgrade you early, its just whether or not you get a rep/employee thatll pull some strings.

08-21-09 02:28 PM
    Call and threaten to cancel your service.
    I'm sure that will work you are the customer and it's their job to keep you happy.
    Why do people think this works? Anytime im threaten with disconnect over stuff like this its like ok? ur call!
    08-21-09 02:31 PM
    Cancel ur contract and pay 150, buy new phone for 199, and you save 140. Sell curve on ebay for about 100. Now u saved 240

I thought if you cancel with Verizon you are not allowed to sign back with them for atleast six month with the same name.
    08-21-09 02:52 PM
    Sometimes you can work a magic deal. I've found it best to call the 1-800 numbers and not try *611 Support from your handset or In-store is even worse in my experience. They are waaaaay to busy.

I think a lot depends on how long you've had your account, how well you've paid your bill, the number of lines you have, and the current plan you have.

I've had 4 lines for probably 8 years now, rarely if ever been late or missed a payment & have a high-end minutes plan. I don't know if it means anything or if it is just another marketing gimmick but I'm "supposedly" a Verizon VIP.

I've upgraded waaaay early several times and I'm sure there's a catch or loophole that has allowed the CSR to approve the transaction.

Best advice I can give you isn't to threaten to leave or demand to talk to supervisors or retention departments; be curteous and don't jump right to I WANT A NEW PHONE. Work in into a discussion and make it their idea to offer it to you. Whether it's to talk about your plan, your minutes, your contract etc etc. don't go right to upgrades.

It might take a few calls but persistence pays off sometimes.
    08-21-09 02:57 PM
    If by "tactic" you mean lying to them to get ur way im sure its possible but let that be on ur conscience.....
    Lying wasn't what I meant nor do I wanna threaten to cancelor do anything unethical, etc.not in my dna! I just thought someone may have some ideas on how I could save some $ on the Tour.
    Looks like I'm dropping $489!

08-21-09 09:52 PM
    $489.99 plus tax is a lot of money, I mean if you can afford it, by all means get it, but like someone else said, if you just want to get it because its new and shiny, I would rather wait, because in another 1 1/2 years, blackberry is probably going to have even better devices. honestly, looking past the glitz and glamour of the tour, your curve is more than capable of doing 90% of the things the tour can do. you have to look back and weigh the pros and cons, is it worth spending over $500 on a new phone, or can you wait it out and get an even nicer phone in the future.
    08-21-09 10:15 PM
    -well I had a 6 storms in the past 9months, but a few weeks back I got so upset with having issue after issue w/the storm + having to swap out phones soo much. I decided to give customer service about this issue 4 the last time.
    -they offered me any phone I wanted 4 free , the tour wasn't out yet so I asked 4 the env touch (I thought it b cool + stable til the storm 2 came out) I was waayyy wrong!
    -i called them again + told them how unhappy I was*
    By then the tour had just came out, he offered me a brand new tour for free! All I had to do was sign a new 2yr. Contract* I didn't mind doing that + receiving the newest + besst BB out there + for free!! Yaaayy*
    -im just not sure if they'd do this for you or give you a early discount because your not having issues w/ur device ??
    I could be wrong I just wanted to share that I got a new tour for free, 9months into my contract! So it is possible*

08-21-09 10:23 PM
    well since our phones carry sim cards, is it possible to wait a couple weeks and snag a used one off e-bay? just thought this might help the op
    08-21-09 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD