So yesterday I called VZW to ask if they would just send me a trackball assembly for my Tour. Of course they said no, that they would replace the phone with a certified "like new" phone.

I am only having a problem once in awhile with the trackball locking up. I click it a couple times and it will start rolling again.

My problem is I don't want a "like new phone", I want the new phone that I purchased fixed, or another new phone.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I didn't pay full retail price, but $199 is still a lot of $$ to be having issues.

I've had the Curve, then went to the Storm, back to the Curve, then back to the Storm, then finally to the Tour. I feel for the $$ these phones cost, RIM should put out a little better product. The Curve was great, the Storm, not so much.

It has been 33 days since I got my Tour so they won't replace it with different model. They would rather lose my business then replace it with a new phone.

Anyways, wish me luck, the replacement will be here tomorrow...
    08-20-09 12:52 PM
    bring it into the store and talk to a manager...
    08-20-09 12:54 PM
    You will probably get a better answer at a VZW store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 01:03 PM
    since the tour hasnt even been out that long, there shouldn't even too many "certified like new" replacements. My guess would be you'd possibly end up with a new one anyways.
    08-20-09 04:13 PM
    When hundreds of thousands of these products are made...there are bound to be bad batches....happens in all manufacturing...good luck with the new device
    08-20-09 04:22 PM
    So yesterday I called VZW to ask if they would just send me a trackball assembly for my Tour. Of course they said no, that they would replace the phone with a certified "like new" phone.

I am only having a problem once in awhile with the trackball locking up. I click it a couple times and it will start rolling again.

My problem is I don't want a "like new phone", I want the new phone that I purchased fixed, or another new phone.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? I didn't pay full retail price, but $199 is still a lot of $$ to be having issues.

I've had the Curve, then went to the Storm, back to the Curve, then back to the Storm, then finally to the Tour. I feel for the $$ these phones cost, RIM should put out a little better product. The Curve was great, the Storm, not so much.

It has been 33 days since I got my Tour so they won't replace it with different model. They would rather lose my business then replace it with a new phone.

Here is the way it is done.

33 days - if CLNR are avail that is what you would get, regardess wehter you got it for free or paid full price. Your other option is to send your device to RIM and wait for 6 weeks under the warr and they will tear your phone a part put in a trackball and send it back to you. AKA REFURB. Most CLRN right off the bat will be for these trackball replacements anyway. I am sure you knew about this problem long before the 30 days.

If the CLNR's are not avail yet you would get a new device.
    08-20-09 04:36 PM

But they ARE sending you a replacment trackball. Its just hidden inside the phone they are sending you.

Pull the trackball out of the phone they are sending you and switch them around. (That also gives you a chance to practice on that phone and not yours)

Then, call up VZW and tell them your phone is working great now and that you will just send back the phone they mailed you.
    08-21-09 07:06 PM
    I thought about just switching the trackball. The screen on the new device is horrible. When you are pressing on the top row of keys, Q - P, the screen ripples.

I haven't sent the old one back yet, I just may switch the trackballs yet.....
    08-26-09 02:47 PM
    I wouldn't switch out the trackball. They might check to see if the warranty seal is broken and charge u full retail for the phone

08-26-09 03:04 PM
    Just got my third tour today. Brand new in the box when I called they had no refurbs in stock. Btw it was a green dot tour and the trackball and battery door are 100 percent better. What's up Don?

08-26-09 03:11 PM
    I wouldn't switch out the trackball. They might check to see if the warranty seal is broken and charge u full retail for the phone

Yup, your better off walking into a store and asking them to do what you want since the replacement has issues as well. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
    08-26-09 03:28 PM
    But they ARE sending you a replacment trackball. Its just hidden inside the phone they are sending you.

Pull the trackball out of the phone they are sending you and switch them around. (That also gives you a chance to practice on that phone and not yours)

Then, call up VZW and tell them your phone is working great now and that you will just send back the phone they mailed you.
    BAD ADVICE.

If he opens the "new" phone, swaps the trackballs out, tells them his "old" phone magically works now (lies about it basically), and then sends the "new" phone back... he just asking to get busted for several reasons.

1) Opening the phones voids any type of warranty

2) When he opens the phone, he will have to remove the white sticker (dot) on top of one of the screws. This will let them know he opened the phone.

3) He will get charged for both phones.

4) They may even cancel his service and insurance (if he has it) under such deceptive conditions.

5) He risks destroying his phone if he's not pro in these kinds of matters.

I wouldn't recommend this advice to anyone ever again.
    08-26-09 05:40 PM
    I thought about just switching the trackball. The screen on the new device is horrible. When you are pressing on the top row of keys, Q - P, the screen ripples.

I haven't sent the old one back yet, I just may switch the trackballs yet.....
    Why not just buy you a trackball instead of causing Verizon to lose $500 on a phone? What sense does that make? Sigh...
    08-26-09 05:42 PM
    BAD ADVICE.

If he opens the "new" phone, swaps the trackballs out, tells them his "old" phone magically works now (lies about it basically), and then sends the "new" phone back... he just asking to get busted for several reasons.

1) Opening the phones voids any type of warranty

2) When he opens the phone, he will have to remove the white sticker (dot) on top of one of the screws. This will let them know he opened the phone.

3) He will get charged for both phones.

4) They may even cancel his service and insurance (if he has it) under such deceptive conditions.

5) He risks destroying his phone if he's not pro in these kinds of matters.

I wouldn't recommend this advice to anyone ever again.
    Are you new to this or something???
    To go over your bullet list:
    1 and 2 are the same, stop repeating yourself.
    3. Why the **** would the charge him for BOTH phones?
    4. Are you crazy? They would not cancel his service, or his insurance? Its ok if your a little crazy, but jeez.
    5. Anybody thats not a moron can follow one of the dozen video walk thrus on how to take the Tour apart.

Why not just buy you a trackball instead of causing Verizon to lose $500 on a phone? What sense does that make? Sigh...

Why?

Why should HE have to pay for a trackball when Verizon sold him a defective device? Thats what sense that makes.

And how do you figure verizon would lose $500 by doing this? They are going to refub it and use it again.

kingzee, you are the one with the "Bad Advice"
    08-27-09 05:46 AM

you know that they know which phone you are receiving and which phone they are expecting back right... they record IMEI#'s... so that wont work they will nail you on that...and then you wont have a valid warranty through them
    08-27-09 06:04 AM
    Honesty is always the best approach
    08-27-09 06:35 AM
    you know that they know which phone you are receiving and which phone they are expecting back right... they record IMEI#'s... so that wont work they will nail you on that...and then you wont have a valid warranty through them
    Right, but you can send back the phone they sent you. They would not have a problem with that.

But besides all this,
    They are now shipping out the phones with the "green dot" on the side of the box. Those ones have the trackball issue fixed.
    08-27-09 08:00 AM
    I sent the old phone back. The screen ripples are the only issue and I can deal with that. It just sucks that you pay whatever amount of $$ for these phones, and you get junk. I never had these issues with my 7100 or 8330.

I'm a bit worried about the white dot now though. I didn't take my old phone apart, but I did tighten the screw to help stop the screen ripple.
    08-27-09 10:20 AM
    i went to the irvine marketplace location to get my tour replaced for trackball issues and those clowns told me it was because i had too much email...seriously? i even volunteered to wipe my handheld and replicate the issue, but they said they wouldn't replace it. i brought up the battery cover which moved and they told me to buy a cover so i wouldn't notice it. i mean wtf.

so i called *611 and told them i had intermittent trackball issues and that i was past my 30-days. in less than 5 minutes, they said they'd send me a replacement at no cost since it was still covered under manufacturer warranty.
    08-27-09 11:01 AM
    i went to the irvine marketplace location to get my tour replaced for trackball issues and those clowns told me it was because i had too much email...seriously? i even volunteered to wipe my handheld and replicate the issue, but they said they wouldn't replace it. i brought up the battery cover which moved and they told me to buy a cover so i wouldn't notice it. i mean wtf.

so i called *611 and told them i had intermittent trackball issues and that i was past my 30-days. in less than 5 minutes, they said they'd send me a replacement at no cost since it was still covered under manufacturer warranty.
    Wow. That's pretty crazy. A lot of them don't know anything outside the standard manual. Ever try talking to a sales rep about a BB? Other than syncing it and copyiong contacts they know very little unless they're crackberry enthusiasts. I've had them tell me all kinds of ridiculous advice before. Similar experience with the techs in the past. Telephone CS always seems to be the best experience for me. I never have any troubles with them when it comes to replacing my devices. Had to do it on 2 dumb phones and 2 BBs on my account. No questions asked and they all were legitimate issues. Launch Tour and haven't had any troubles so I'm glad I haven't needed them for the Tour.

08-27-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD