I contacted ATT and told them I have an unlocked storm that Im using with them, and that the internet is not working as it should, and they informed me that it needs be set up to run on 3G -- the phone has the option of changing to 3g but when i switch it, then it drops the ATT signal... ANY IDEAs? THANKS!~
    08-20-09 11:27 AM
    Um, as far as I know, the 9530 is a primarily CDMA device that will only get EDGE on AT&T's network, not 3G.
    08-20-09 11:31 AM
    With your comment about the CDMA being said, do you know or anyone else reading this, a way to get the EDGE to work more efficently. It will "stall" alot when it comes to browsing a website or using a web based app. -- It will pull the page up a little, sit for a little while work alittle more and just continue this process untill the page is loaded completly.. basically it moves slow.. is there a way to boost it.. or it just something thats going to have to be a "deal with it "
    08-20-09 11:38 AM
    Disable Javascript support. Be aware that this will speed up page loading, but will cause pages that need it to not render properly.
    08-20-09 11:40 AM
    Im a dummy when it comes to messing with the settings, where would the option to disable it be located.. And thx for the help btw
    08-20-09 11:41 AM
    I loaded up lyricidicals latest hybrid and my storm is way better on the EDGE connection. The browsing is much faster with the 5.0 browser too. It is an easy install with the AIO or all in one installer too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 11:44 AM
    How do i get to where i can get that browser on my phone?
    08-20-09 11:46 AM
    I'm not sure if the phone will get 3G or not just EDGE but did you look at this link?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-107154/

It may have some more clues.

For Javascript, go to the Browser --> options and there are check boxes there for Support Javascript, Allow Javascript popups, etc. What is checked there?
    08-20-09 12:18 PM
    ya i went to the how to and did the java thing... curious to how to just get a better browser on the phone instead?
    08-20-09 12:23 PM
    first suggestion:

go to the "how to" and read the thread about setting up your unlocked storm for ATT...it will explain everything you need to know, and provide links to more references, materials needed, etc...

and read the blackberry 101 articles at the top of the page, tutorials i believe
    08-20-09 02:04 PM
    ya i went to the how to and did the java thing... curious to how to just get a better browser on the phone instead?
    you'd have to download a third-party browser like Opera Mini or Bolt.
    08-20-09 02:15 PM
    The UMTS 3G radio in both the 9530 and 9500 operates at 2100MHz, the frequency used pretty much everywhere except North America.

In short, it is impossible to use a Storm on 3G with any North American GSM carrier.
    08-20-09 03:25 PM
    The Storm will only run on EDGE for At&t. 3G is not possible on the 9530 running on At&t.
    08-20-09 03:41 PM
    didn't someone get it on Tmo?

i don't ever use GSM so idk who uses what...
    08-20-09 03:45 PM
    Maybe Tmo UK or DE, certainly not USA. Just found out that Tmo USA does use 2100MHz, but it's not compatible with "world band" 2100MHz. So it's still a no-go.
    08-20-09 04:49 PM
    so in your newly informed opinion, buying a storm to unlock and use on GSM in the U.S. is basically not worth the money compared to other devices that are unlockable?
    08-20-09 04:55 PM
    I contacted ATT and told them I have an unlocked storm that Im using with them, and that the internet is not working as it should, and they informed me that it needs be set up to run on 3G -- the phone has the option of changing to 3g but when i switch it, then it drops the ATT signal... ANY IDEAs? THANKS!~
    the is a post by unlockmyblackberry on bbos.com that helped me
    this will awnser all your questions
    08-20-09 05:02 PM
    I wouldn't say it's not worth it, I'm merely pointing out that until the US operators adopt international standards (or RIM modify the radio- unlikely considering the Verizon tie-in) then it's not possible to achieve a 3G connection on a GSM carrier there, with a current model Storm anyway.

Oh, and I work with radio, both cellular and point-to-point, in a professional capacity - my opinion is hardly "newly formed".

Have a nice day.
    08-20-09 05:15 PM
    Oops, just realised what you meant Patches, sorry.

Tmo USA uses a 1700/2100 system, why they couldnt use the "normal" 2100 beats me, something to do with the FCC I think. I don't deal much with the US cellular systems so my knowledge is a bit rusty!
    08-20-09 05:27 PM
    More on the FCC angle, from a google search (Refers to another phone but is applicable to the Storm):

Why would HTC/SE make a phone that practically every company in the world can use with 3G, but not T-Mobile?
    Why would T-mobile chose a 3G band (1700+2100mhz) not used by any other company in the world?

It's really quite complicated, so I'll keep it simple (although the details won't be very clear).

It's neither HTC/SE nor T-mobile's fault. Unlike in Europe, the American government (FCC) does not define or reserve specific bands (1900mhz, 2100mhz, etc) for specific technologies (GSM, UMTS, CDMA, etc). The US government also does not want to reallocate bands that are already being used, even if it's for older technology. Since VoiceStream (Tmo before Deutsche Telekom bought it) didn't have any money to buy spectrum in advance for 3G, that pretty much means that T-mobile has had to settle for whatever bands are leftover.

T-mobile wanted to keep their US 3G bands the same as in Europe, but the lower half (uplink) is already occupied by another technology (which the FCC cannot or will not vacate). So the only choice was to launch 3G on the 1700+2100mhz "AWS" band, or have no 3G at all. And without 3G, AT&T would have a monopoly on UMTS, Tmo would lose business with only 2G, and we as customers would suffer in the long run (especially since without competition, AT&T could keep its prices artificially high).

For the other points, contrary to popular belief, Tmo is not the only carrier in the world that runs a UMTS network in the 1700mhz range. Carrier e-Mobile in Japan runs a UMTS 1700 network. It is slightly different than Tmo's AWS because e-Mobile uses 1700-uplink/1800-downlink (UMTS Band IX) while Tmo uses 1700-uplink/2100-downlink (UMTS Band IV) and is therefore still incompatible. However, as with the G1, it is fully possible to build a radio that can switch between "overlapping" modes (eg: 1700+2100 and 1900+2100* on the G1), it just isn't very cost-effective to make those radios at the moment.

*1900+2100 does not mean AT&T's UMTS 1900mhz network. It's 1900mhz uplink and 2100mhz downlink, and you can see the specific frequency differences here (UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) (UMTS Bands I and II).

Keep in mind (and this is a more general point): GSM started off with most phones being only dual-mode (900/1800mhz or 850/1900mhz), but after the technology matured tri- and quad-band radios became commonplace, and now quad-GSM phones are found everywhere. In time we might see a penta-band (850/900/1700/1900/2100) "global" UMTS radio become standard on all phones -- just not with the X1. Then again, by the time we see penta-radios, we will move on to 4G, and with the current split between WiMAX and LTE, we will probably have these same headaches all over again.

So if you want someone to blame, blame the FCC for being unable or unwilling to harmonize the US wireless spectrum with other global standards. Tmo, HTC, and SE are merely just trying to play the cards dealt to them.

In other words, UMTS Band I for all!
    So there you have it.
    Cheers,
    Stu
    Last edited by SquirrelNuts; 08-20-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited to highlight important points
    08-20-09 06:09 PM
    Oops, just realised what you meant Patches, sorry.

Tmo USA uses a 1700/2100 system, why they couldnt use the "normal" 2100 beats me, something to do with the FCC I think. I don't deal much with the US cellular systems so my knowledge is a bit rusty!
    it's cool, i can be cryptic and ambiguous sometimes, i know...but the fact that you're capable of re-reading something give you a huge + over 9000 in my book...
    08-20-09 06:40 PM
    Thanks Patches, only reason I'm awake at this hour is because I have a clear day tomorrow.

Anyway, I do need my sleep. The UMTS issues can be resolved if the FCC put their tiny minds to it. Christ sounds like the UK MoD...

Night (2AM here)
    Stu.
    08-20-09 07:54 PM
    Oh, before I go to sleep:

1. I'm in the UK
    2. Vodafone does not have EDGE
    3. I don't live in a 3G area

My Storm lives on GPRS. It's good enough for me - if you got edge, brilliant.
    Having said that (of course) venture into a real 3g area like central Birmingham (uk) and the speeds blew me away. 6 megs actual? Yep.

Point 2. Voda does have some EDGE cells, their eforum admins admitted it. About 12, so far

And back on topic. The OP is NOT going to get his 9530 to run properly on any network other than Verizon.

See you all tomorrow,
    Stu
    08-20-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD