I'm always bringing my home charger with me, to work, to a friends house, etc.
    Its getting pretty damn annoying. Anyone have any tips or anything on how to fix this situation?! Was never a problem when I had the storm.

To give you some insight, I BBM the most or text on this phone (same with the storm). But I guess average with everything else.

Anyone got tips for me?!
    08-19-09 11:59 PM
    Larger capacity battery.
    08-20-09 12:11 AM
    I get two days with SocialScope, Weatherbug, BBM5, GTalk IM, 3 email accounts, light internet use, and a few calls a day...
    08-20-09 12:11 AM
    Set the Network option to 1XEV and not Global, should save you some battery.
    08-20-09 12:15 AM
    I had a similar problem with my second Tour, how I solved it was to completely drain the battery. I mean to the point that the thing just shuts down from lack of juice. Then without powering it up give it a full charge.

Before I couldn't go 10 hrs without have to charge the sucker again, now I am going 48 hours on a single charge.

Maybe that would work for you.....
    08-20-09 01:10 AM
    I actually had this problem on my Storm when I first got it and after letting it die like afnstech says fixed it, you should give it a shot.
    08-20-09 01:13 AM
    Tour only uses the 1350 MaH battery correct? The bold uses the 1550 MaH battery but it needs it to power the higher processor.

I've found that my battery life used to suck until I upgraded to the highest official OS on the Bold. I'm thinking the Tour will get an OS upgrade soon to fix the memory and battery drainage a lot of people have been noticing.

EDIT: what I meant when I read it was,

Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently discharged fully and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter).

I meant to write infrequently but you should do it at least once in a while. I'm just saying because the guy at the computer store said your battery is fine to keep on charge or charge daily and regularly even if it isn't drained, but he said at least once a month, you should let it drain near completely empy and recharge fully again.
    Last edited by Madness87; 08-20-09 at 01:29 AM.
    08-20-09 01:17 AM
    Make sure your GPS isn't running all day, I went through two days like that and then realized I left google maps running. Check your open apps(hold down the BB button), you should only see phone, browser, BBM, messages and home
    08-20-09 01:19 AM
    danoh is right, if you can help it, do not let your battery drain all the way down
    08-20-09 01:26 AM
    As for battery usage, it's accepted to let your battery drain almost completely at least once a month. And then recharge it fully.
    Allowing a Li-Ion battery to completely drain can cause permanent damage to the battery.

Do NOT let Li-Ion batteries drain to exhaustion or near exhaustion.
    08-20-09 01:28 AM
    Global to 1XEV and GPS to E911 only are great tips for extending your battery life.

Another thing that helps with battery life is using the mute button to put your Tour in Standby Mode. It's now a habit for me and has greatly extended my battery life.

Like others who have posted, I get approximately 48 hours of use on a single charge. Phone, Messages, BBM, Ubertwitter, Facebook, Bolt, Viigo Lite, and Weathereye are all used on a daily basis.
    08-20-09 05:01 AM
    Sawedust is right. I switched my phone from global to 1XEV and my battery life is 50% since 620am this morning.
    08-20-09 09:22 PM
    I have noticed that letting my battery drain all the way out and charging without the phone on (even part of the charge at least) really seems to make a diff.
    08-20-09 09:28 PM
    I had the same problem. No matter how many settings I changed and how many things I turned off, there was no way my battery was able to make it through the day.

I went to VZW and asked them for a new battery but it ended up acting the same way. My trackball ended up dying so I got a 2nd Tour. The battery life on this one was MUCH MUCH better. The 2nd Tour had its problems so now I'm on my third, but I'm still using the same battery and it's been great so far.

I know that this doesn't really narrow down where the problem lies, the battery or the phone itself, but there's definitely a problem. It's not just about settings or leaving apps on in the background.
    08-20-09 11:19 PM
    shoot unless you are never running an app or not on the web constantly or not always getting email or using vibrate...these devices always need more juice lol
    08-20-09 11:34 PM
    I get two days with SocialScope, Weatherbug, BBM5, GTalk IM, 3 email accounts, light internet use, and a few calls a day...
    My phone would never last two days with the best battery in the world

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 01:26 AM
    Please read the other posts in this thread. Letting your battery drain all the way should never be done-doing so will damage it.
    You're saying letting the charges cycle will damage it? I don't agree with that. Its actually the best way to get a good charge in my opinion.

08-21-09 01:35 AM
    You're saying letting the charges cycle will damage it? I don't agree with that. Its actually the best way to get a good charge in my opinion.

No, he's, and I'm, and the people who make Li-Ion batteries, are saying that it's bad for your Li-Ion battery to allow it to discharge fully. It can permanently damage the cells in the battery rendering them unable to hold any charge whatsoever.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yours just happens to be factually incorrect. But don't let that stop you. Run the chance of damaging your own battery if you so desire, just please stop giving incorrect advice to others that may damage their batteries.
    Last edited by danoh; 08-21-09 at 02:14 AM.
    08-21-09 02:10 AM
    Allowing a Li-Ion battery to completely drain can cause permanent damage to the battery.

Do NOT let Li-Ion batteries drain to exhaustion or near exhaustion.
    Read THIS. Especially the first 2 bullet points under the "Simple Guidelines" heading. You are correct that complete discharges can harm the battery however it needs to be done every once in a while to calibrate the internal "gauge" of the battery.

To the others saying that a full discharge increased capacity, it technically didn't. What it did was calibrate the above mentioned gauge to give a more accurate reading. Before calibration your battery life was being inaccurately reported so even though it looked like your battery was used up (according to the device gauge or internal battery gauge) it actually wasn't. Once a full discharge and recharge was completed this issue was reversed. Now when the device says it has 50% remaining it actually does whereas before when it said it had 50% left it could've actually been more like 60 or 70% remaining.

I hope this all makes sense and helps to clear up some issues.
    08-21-09 02:39 AM
    Okay. I hear you. Honestly, I've done this with every phone I've ever had. I've never had battery issues. Weird. However, I do make sure I have a full battery before charge before I start my workday (work nights so I do charge during the day) but I've always let it go all the way down before I go to sleep.

I'm awake 5 hours before I go to work and usually only lose, at the most, one bar. That's with heavy use. My phone is my office.

Last edited by jimmyknuckles32; 08-21-09 at 03:23 AM.
    08-21-09 03:21 AM
    I've read plenty of posts that claim otherwise as well.
    08-21-09 03:35 AM
    It's only detrimental to the battery to fully discharge it frequently. Once in a while (i.e. once every month or 2) is fine though and is encouraged to keep charge readings accurate.
    08-21-09 03:41 AM
    No, he's, and I'm, and the people who make Li-Ion batteries, are saying that it's bad for your Li-Ion battery to allow it to discharge fully. It can permanently damage the cells in the battery rendering them unable to hold any charge whatsoever.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yours just happens to be factually incorrect. But don't let that stop you. Run the chance of damaging your own battery if you so desire, just please stop giving incorrect advice to others that may damage their batteries.
    Except that those very same people say after every 30th charge, you should allow it to drain down and recharge fully again. At least that's what the guy in my laptop repair shop said, and what the page on wikipedia regarding "Lithium-Ion" batteries says.

Here's something I pulled from Nikon's site regarding lithium-ion batteries: "Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem."

Something about constantly keeping it fully charged messes with the battery's ability to gauge it's remaining power accurately.
    Last edited by Madness87; 08-21-09 at 06:48 AM.
    08-21-09 06:45 AM
    Except that those very same people say after every 30th charge, you should allow it to drain down and recharge fully again. At least that's what the guy in my laptop repair shop said, and what the page on wikipedia regarding "Lithium-Ion" batteries says.

Here's something I pulled from Nikon's site regarding lithium-ion batteries: "Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem."

Something about constantly keeping it fully charged messes with the battery's ability to gauge it's remaining power accurately.
    Exactly right. HERE is what I posted earlier.
    08-21-09 06:56 AM
    I wish RIM would come out with a charging pod that would also charge an additional battery (swapping batteries worked great on Treo). Hopefully an OS fix will address the too-rapid drain as well.
    08-21-09 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD