08-19-09 03:46 PM
    Yes that is the picture I was refering to in this post.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ke...fusing-293448/
    08-19-09 04:19 PM
    Yes, the Onyx is ANOTHER in the Bold line. Its been discussed here many times
    08-19-09 04:19 PM
    It feels like Christmas eve!....I can almost hear Santa!

Any more release dates romored?
    08-19-09 04:26 PM
    Yes, the Onyx is ANOTHER in the Bold line. Its been discussed here many times
    #1 ) i dont surf the Onyx threads that much
    #2 ) i was just trying to share the information

sorry to offend you sir, please have pity on the common folk......
    08-19-09 04:33 PM
    lol, don't be so sorry about that, happens all the time.
    08-19-09 07:24 PM
    If it is a "Bold", maybe BB is focusing on existing models rather than having so many different models.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 09:38 PM
    If it is a "Bold", maybe BB is focusing on existing models rather than having so many different models.

No it's because they want to capture those people who only want to buy the next thing in the "Bold" line... apparently Onyx was below them. Once they state that this is indeed the bold successor, more bold owners will jump ship.
    08-20-09 05:00 AM
    It would be awful if the bold were replaced by something smaller.
    08-20-09 11:41 AM
    No need to be sorry at all
    08-20-09 11:43 AM
    The Onyx is already small enough! I think is smaller than the Tour, one of the many reasons why I love my Bold is because of its size, I think is a shame that the Onyx (if it is the replacement of the Bold) is so small...
    08-20-09 11:47 AM
    Let's tune into reality. Assuming the "Bold" stamp remains on the final product at market, the discussion is over as far as the name is concerned. If the size and name are a bother, then don't buy it.
    08-20-09 11:47 AM
    No it's because they want to capture those people who only want to buy the next thing in the "Bold" line... apparently Onyx was below them. Once they state that this is indeed the bold successor, more bold owners will jump ship.
    So in essence, they could have spalled BOLD on the back of the 8520 and people would have ran to it? I don't really think that logic works. People are always going to look at the device and say "what can this do or do better that what I have now can't"
    08-20-09 01:03 PM
    Hence the 9020 designation. That's a photo of the 9020, the 9700 is the driftwood for TMO. Bold users shouldn't get upset over the release of this phone since it simply has a better camera.
    08-20-09 01:41 PM
    TKD,

No offense...If you had a Bold, you would understand that people are excited by the faster processor, upgraded OS, and battery life in addition to the camera on a device whose primary emphasis was the professional ranks and now they are becomning more consumer oriented. They have made great strides in a short amount of time.
    08-20-09 01:56 PM
    So in essence, they could have spalled BOLD on the back of the 8520 and people would have ran to it? I don't really think that logic works. People are always going to look at the device and say "what can this do or do better that what I have now can't"
    No because if the Curve 8520 had a Bold on the back, people would see that the 9000 was better spec-wise. They would say the 8520 is the lower-end Bold, the 9000 is the mid-end and the, now, 9700 is high-end.

Branding works extremely well... By naming the Onyx as the Bold 9700, right away people who own the 9000 will think, maybe this new device is the successor to mine. Even if the upgrades are subtle.

Let me use an analogy... Ford got rid of the Taurus which was their most popular sedan for the past 20 years and changed it to a new sedan called the "Five Hundred"... They also had a wagon/crossover called the "Freestyle". They sold like crap, so what Ford did now, is hardly change anything about the "Five Hundred" or "Freestyle" but renamed them as the Taurus and Taurus Wagon for re-releases later and already former Taurus owners are thinking of buying them, or people have already started saying they are good cars, when they are in essence the same they released the past few years.

Call the device as an Onyx and people will think it's not the successor to the Bold or will wait till they have sort of proof it is meant as the nex in line, so RIM adds a leather back, adds Bold "stamp", and changes the name to the Bold 9700.
    Last edited by Madness87; 08-20-09 at 08:31 PM.
    08-20-09 08:27 PM
    A Bold is a bold is a Bold. Think of it as an improved engine and drivetrain in a more stream-lined chassis.

08-20-09 10:07 PM
    the back looks like crap.
    08-21-09 12:40 AM
    Unlike some, I have had only two BB, a Curve and my Bold. I liked battery door of the Curve better but the "faux" leather door of the Bold took a while to grow on me though I am still not a fan. It would ge great to see the texture of the Onyx battery door be similar to the Bold.

08-21-09 06:00 AM
    I think I've figured out the 'naming strategy':

- SureType devices: Pearl
    - 2G Full QWERTY devices: Curve
    - 3G Full QWERTY devices: Bold
    - 3G Touchscreen devices: Storm

I'm now waiting for 'my' Bold 9700 to finish the Enterprise Activation. I'm hoping it will be more stable than it's predecessor 9020. It's running .188, which I assume will be on all the evaluation units out there.
    08-21-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD