Hi All,

Is there any way to buy a given phone (in an AT&T store I would guess) and not have it activated in-store? I'm one of those people that hates someone else touching their stuff (especially when it's something brand new like a $300 BlackBerry) and hate this. I realize doing the "no commitment" option would probably allow this right away, but I'm talking about signing a normal contract.

Apple shipped my 3GS directly to me after signing a two year contract, so I know it's possible, but will in-store reps allow it?

Thanks!

-MRCUR
    08-18-09 06:49 PM
    I would just tell them when you buy the phone that you do not want it opened. Since AT&T phones use sim cards and its not like Verizon having to "program" the phone it shouldn't be a problem. Most phones have all the info they would need on the side of the box anyway. You may want to open it yourself in store and check to make sure everything is in the box and its in good shape. Thats what I did when I bought my 8900. I don't want a device thats been opened if I am spending $300 plus dollars on it.
    08-18-09 07:25 PM
    I'm willing to bet you could get it taken care of over the phone with them too. It should be as simple as calling AT&T's client care, saying you want to upgrade over the phone, and they should mail you the device in its original packaging with programming instructions included - I'm with Telus in Canada so I don't know if it'll work for AT&T, but I know for sure it works with us here so I'd expect you can do the same kind of thing there.
    08-18-09 07:40 PM
    Another option would be to order the new phone from AT&T's Web site and have it mailed to your house.
    08-18-09 07:58 PM
    Yes, just tell them you will activate and set it up yourself at home. It's not like they get paid extra to do it for you (I don't think anyway), so they're probably happy to let you do it yourself.

When I got my 8520, I told them I was in a hurry and would just do it myself later. Granted this was at WalMart, and no way was I letting them touch it more than necessary. :P
    08-18-09 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably bet getting the 9700 when it drops and I'd really like to activate it myself at home, especially since I might not do it right away (I don't hate my iPhone that much).

I would order it online, but the phones are opened and the SIM card is inserted. That I don't like. I really like getting the sealed box with a new blank SIM to go with it like I did with my iPhone.
    08-19-09 06:57 PM
    Your problem may be with the Upgrade process. They are not likely to sell you the phone at the upgrade price without actually doing the upgrade right there. It is done via the phone so you could request they allow you to do all the things that require phone handling but they are not likely to let you out of the store without actually activating it. Especially since the activiation and contract extension are handled at the same time.

As far as people touching your device....at least in the store you know who is touching it. You have no clue who has touched it at the factory.
    09-04-09 02:46 AM
    How about you tell them that you don't like people touching your stuff, and request that you do everything you need to?

I'm sure they won't have a problem.
    09-04-09 02:49 AM
    The only issue with that is I might not actually use the 9700 (most likely my next purchase) right away, but I'd like to get it at launch (like I do most my phones). I pretty much did that with my Bold, but only because I knew the guy who sold it to me. I'd still rather walk out with a sealed box and a new SIM (although I won't need one this time since I'll be swapping with my iPhone).
    09-04-09 08:27 PM
    The only issue with that is I might not actually use the 9700 (most likely my next purchase) right away, but I'd like to get it at launch (like I do most my phones). I pretty much did that with my Bold, but only because I knew the guy who sold it to me. I'd still rather walk out with a sealed box and a new SIM (although I won't need one this time since I'll be swapping with my iPhone).
    Unless you are planning on paying full retail, I don't see that happening. Stranger things have happened but I'm betting that they are going to require the activiation for purposes of recieving the upgrade price.
    09-05-09 01:48 AM
    Unless you are planning on paying full retail, I don't see that happening. Stranger things have happened but I'm betting that they are going to require the activiation for purposes of recieving the upgrade price.
    That's really obnoxious. I purchased my 3GS directly from Apple as an upgrade and it came sealed (direct from Apple). Of course AT&T is making concessions to Apple for having the iPhone exclusively, but my point is technically it's possible.

What's annoying is I'll want to get the 9700 at launch, but I won't be there to pick it up. I'll probably have my dad go grab it since I'll be in school (with my iPhone) - if they activate it in-store then my iPhone will stop working. That's just a dumb policy then.
    09-07-09 01:36 PM
    That's really obnoxious. I purchased my 3GS directly from Apple as an upgrade and it came sealed (direct from Apple). Of course AT&T is making concessions to Apple for having the iPhone exclusively, but my point is technically it's possible.

What's annoying is I'll want to get the 9700 at launch, but I won't be there to pick it up. I'll probably have my dad go grab it since I'll be in school (with my iPhone) - if they activate it in-store then my iPhone will stop working. That's just a dumb policy then.
    So this is now the 4th different reason why you don't want them to activivate it. Why not just be honest and say you want to resell it. When you order online you are agreeing to the contracts electronicly so there is no need to open the phone. In store the upgrade contract is handled at activation. If you want to get it and resell it then just order it online when it is available and quit with the BS about not wanting it touched, wanting a sealed box, not using it right away, or having your dad pick it up.
    09-07-09 08:14 PM
    So this is now the 4th different reason why you don't want them to activivate it. Why not just be honest and say you want to resell it. When you order online you are agreeing to the contracts electronicly so there is no need to open the phone. In store the upgrade contract is handled at activation. If you want to get it and resell it then just order it online when it is available and quit with the BS about not wanting it touched, wanting a sealed box, not using it right away, or having your dad pick it up.
    Uhh, what?
    09-07-09 08:34 PM
    If you have been following the thread, which clearly you haven't, you would have seen he does not want to re-sell the phone. He wants to switch between his iphone and what would be his new blackberry. I can see you are quite astute to observations.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. I am sure you are a great asset to society.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 09:22 PM
    If you have been following the thread, which clearly you haven't, you would have seen he does not want to re-sell the phone. He wants to switch between his iphone and what would be his new blackberry. I can see you are quite astute to observations.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. I am sure you are a great asset to society.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I suggest you go back and reread what he has posted so far. I have been following the thread and he has given 4 different reasons why he does not want them to activate it in the store. First it was because he doesn't like people touching his stuff, then it was because he wasn't going to use it right away, then it was because he wanted a sealed box, and finally it was because he was going to have his dad pick it up. This is the pattern of a person looking for a way to get a phone that they can turn around and sell.

You seem to be the one having a hard time following a thread, and bashing me for pointing out the FACTS was a total waste of a post.

The fact is, unless he wants to pay FULL RETAIL he will be UNLIKELY to find an AT&T rep who wants to give him the subsidized discount without making him activate the phone to complete the contract extension.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-08-09 at 12:11 AM.
    09-07-09 11:59 PM
    I suggest you go back and reread what he has posted so far. I have been following the thread and he has given 4 different reasons why he does not want them to activate it in the store. First it was because he doesn't like people touching his stuff, then it was because he wasn't going to use it right away, then it was because he wanted a sealed box, and finally it was because he was going to have his dad pick it up. This is the pattern of a person looking for a way to get a phone that they can turn around and sell.

You seem to be the one having a hard time following a thread, and bashing me for pointing out the FACTS was a total waste of a post.

The fact is, unless he wants to pay FULL RETAIL he will be UNLIKELY to find an AT&T rep who wants to give him the subsidized discount without making him activate the phone to complete the contract extension.

Your use of the word then is not right. MRCUR wants for all of those reasons no one to touch the phone. He is stating all the reasons he does not want them to touch it. By using the word then, you would be negating his previous reasons which are still valid as they are all inclusive. He wants for all the above reasons no one to touch it.

I am bashing you because you seem to ASSUME he wants to sell the device, when that does not appear to be the case the OP.

With all of your great knowledge and insight, enlighten me, are you an ATT rep?
    09-08-09 11:54 AM
    Your use of the word then is not right. MRCUR wants for all of those reasons no one to touch the phone. He is stating all the reasons he does not want them to touch it. By using the word then, you would be negating his previous reasons which are still valid as they are all inclusive. He wants for all the above reasons no one to touch it.

I am bashing you because you seem to ASSUME he wants to sell the device, when that does not appear to be the case the OP.

With all of your great knowledge and insight, enlighten me, are you an ATT rep?
    View his postings as you wish. To me, they have the appearance of someone looking to get a sealed unit to resell. Regardless of his intent, the fact remains that the subsidized price requires the 2yr contract to be activated and in store the activation process is done from the new handset so the system recognizes the new device. It is UNLIKELY that he will find a rep that will let him walk out with a sealed box and no contract upgrade at the subsudized price. Also, with the new data requirement, it's possible they will not be selling full retail units without activiation as well, but that will be left to be seen.
    09-08-09 06:42 PM
    Thank you for the thoughts everyone. I'll see what happens when November rolls around. I'll talk with the rep I usually deal with before the phone launches and see what my options are. If he'll hold one and I can go with my dad after school to get it, then that'll have to be fine it seems. I really just don't want my iPhone deactivated during the day if the in-store activation is a requirement.

And once again, I absolutely don't want to re-sell the phone.
    09-08-09 09:51 PM
    Thank you for the thoughts everyone. I'll see what happens when November rolls around. I'll talk with the rep I usually deal with before the phone launches and see what my options are. If he'll hold one and I can go with my dad after school to get it, then that'll have to be fine it seems. I really just don't want my iPhone deactivated during the day if the in-store activation is a requirement.

And once again, I absolutely don't want to re-sell the phone.
    Best of luck to you with this. I hope it works out at least to an acceptable end. Let us know what happens when the time comes.
    09-08-09 10:38 PM
    Well I got the 9700 delivered today from AT&T... Amazon Wireless (who I believe actually sells the phones sealed and doesn't put the SIM in) didn't have it day one, so I had to go with AT&T's website.

I had spoken with an AT&T rep who said the phones are never sealed since AT&T opens them anyways - that's certainly not the case. The box seal was cut (cleanly I might add) and the SIM was inserted. Nothing else was done so I'm pretty please.
    11-24-09 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD