Hi all,
    Had a Bold delivered yesterday. It never shows EDGE or 3G - just GPRS (like my 8320 used to)

I phoned Orange who told me GPRS is 3G - now I'm just confused!

Help me! (please)
    08-18-09 05:45 AM
    GPRS isn't in any way shape or form 3G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 05:52 AM
    Perform a speed test, and report on your KB/s, and I'll do one on 3g, we'll see the difference..

08-18-09 05:57 AM
    orange are talking out their arse.

gprs is 2G with a max speed to 24kbits/sec where 3G (with HSDPA can get upwards for 3Mbits/sec

From experience I dont know of many EDGE sites on Orange. When I was an ornage customer and travelling a lot, I only recall 2 or 3 EDGE areas.
    Perhaps youre just not in a 3G area ??

Check the phone is set to connect to 3G networks in Options > Mobile Network > set Network Mode to 3G & 2G
    08-18-09 05:58 AM
    It is set to 2G and 3G. I live in central London so it just seems incredible that Orange wouldn't have any 3G coverage in any areas I have passed through in the last two days!

I was fairly sure that Orange were talking out of their arses - so thanks for confirming that for me.

Is there anything apart from the options that might stop me getting 3G? I have just upgraded from an 8320 so could my Service books be wrong or something?
    08-18-09 08:55 AM
    did you get a new SIM with your phone? It could be that you dont have a 3G sim card. Ive seen that with Orange before..
    If they didnt change your Sim and your last phone was the 8320 you will almost certainly need a new SIM.

Call cust services and explain you have a 3g phone but a 2g sim card and ask for a replacement as part of your upgrade.
    08-18-09 09:01 AM
    Is there any way to check for sure if my phone is getting any 3g signal?

I have spoken to Orange again who (another person) said that the phone just displays GPRS while the phone moves between 2G and 3G. They said GPRS is on both!?

Also - how do I perform a speed test for data?
    08-18-09 09:59 AM
    I'm with Orange and when I upgraded to my Bold I was told that I would need to use the SIM that came with the phone. They told me it would be anywhere between 30 minutes and 24 hours before the SIM swapped over to having my number.

I put my current SIM in the Bold while I waited for the other one to come on-line and for the hour I had service still on the old SIM the Bold only showed GPRS. Once that SIM went off-line and I put the new SIM in I got the 3G coverage straight away.

Sounds like you as has already been said you might need a 3G sim to get your Bold working fully. There was probably a SIM in the box that your Bold came in, if you call Orange and explain you've upgraded to a Bold and could they register the SIM they'll do the swap over so your number and services go on the new SIM then you should see your 3G service come to life.
    08-18-09 10:01 AM
    Thank you for the advice.

Can you just confirm - when you get 3G coverage it shows "3G" in the top right hand corner of the screen? Not GPRS!

Really beginning to dislike Orange.
    08-18-09 10:10 AM
    excuse as i sneeze.
    "bbbbbullsh***t!"

ahhh that felt betta
    08-18-09 10:28 AM
    Have spoken to them again and finally got an admission that they were talking bollocks!

They are now sending me a 3G Sim card "As a goodwill gesture" !?

Do they give these people training in how to sound eminently punchable!?
    08-18-09 10:39 AM
    for the record, yes it does show 3G when on 3G service.
    08-18-09 11:25 AM
    So the issue was that you did not have a 3G SIM card?
    08-18-09 11:55 AM
    Apart from the higher speed, 3G also allows you to use data and voice simultaneously. GPRS cuts off as soon as you call or receive.
    08-18-09 02:01 PM
    i get GPRS when the signal is really low for a long time, i cant even use the browser if i have that.. so is better edge then much better and super fast 3G
    08-18-09 02:26 PM
    Sending you a 3G sim as a gesture of goodwill?? They should have given you a 3G sim when you did the handset upgrade!!

08-18-09 04:32 PM
    Hi, just joined the forums.

I actually just got my Bold today. It was an upgrade from Orange UK. I live in Central London as well.

First, then I stuck in my old SIM card into the Bold, from a Curve 8320, I noticed there was only GPRS. And GPRS is just pants for today's standards. Orange UK are rubbish at EDGE. It's the reason why I upgraded to a Bold, for 3G!

Then I googled, and found out that I had to use the SIM card that came with the package. I assumed my old SIM was outdated, and it did not support 3G.

So I popped in my new SIM, and voila. Instant 3G, with the 4 little things, and 5 bars full.

I hope this helps for you.

You also need to phone them up if you're upgrading. The number is in the box.

If you didn't upgrade, and just got it as a new contract, then they probably gave you a non-3G SIM card. Ask for a new one that has 3G.

Don't believe a word of what those Orange support guys tell you. GPRS = 3G??? That's just low of them. It's bad enough that they never had EDGE.
    08-18-09 06:17 PM
    As an aside there's an area on the M4 between junction 8/9 and junction 10 which is the only place I've ever seen EDGE when I had my curve. Even when I set it to 2G only for a day out in Central London it only showed GPRS and not EDGE!

For the OP, if you have no joy on 150 customer services call 156 which is Orange's Data Support team. They are better for Blackberry queries than the standard customer services.

08-18-09 08:34 PM
    Got it sorted now. The handset was not actually an upgrade.

I sent back so many 8320's with various problems - which for some reason meant they offered me a Bold instead! I now have a brand new Bold - but will still be entitled to my next upgrade in January!

Still undecided on exactly how much I like the Bold. It's fantasticly usable - but very large. Roll on the Onyx!

One main problem I was having with the 8320 was almost a complete lack on reception in and around my new house. The Bold seems to have sorted that. I think often huge phones are good at getting good reception!

Thank you everyone for your help

Gussington
    08-19-09 07:31 AM
    That's very nice indeed. Free upgrade, and a new phone too!
    08-19-09 07:38 AM
    Have spoken to them again and finally got an admission that they were talking bollocks!

They are now sending me a 3G Sim card "As a goodwill gesture" !?

Do they give these people training in how to sound eminently punchable!?
    I thought Indonesia is the only country with that kind of stupid customer service officer. Finally, I heard that london has one too, It's such a relief.
    08-19-09 07:45 AM
    As an aside there's an area on the M4 between junction 8/9 and junction 10 which is the only place I've ever seen EDGE when I had my curve. Even when I set it to 2G only for a day out in Central London it only showed GPRS and not EDGE!

For the OP, if you have no joy on 150 customer services call 156 which is Orange's Data Support team. They are better for Blackberry queries than the standard customer services.

The only EDGE place ive seen on orange is around Bagshot in Surrey.
    08-19-09 08:47 AM
    I spent two weeks in Bulgaria with my 8320 and got EDGE almost everywhere!
    08-19-09 10:12 AM
    Obviously you're on roaming, and their local networks have EDGE, it has nothing to do with Orange's UK EDGE network.

08-19-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD