I'm in the market for my first BB and tried to find a comparison besides a spec sheet but couldn't find the info through a search.

For me the main selling point is the Bold's keyboard. The wi-fi feature is a plus but not a deal breaker. The Tour scares me a bit because of how many incidents of trackball failures.

Not considering price, what are the advantages/disadvantages of one phone over the other.
    08-16-09 12:36 PM
    There are at least a few Bold vs Tour threads on here. Try searching them for some more indepth comparisons.

The trackball on the Tour and Bold are probably very similar, so I don't know how accurate failure rates are going to be.

My thoughts are what carrier has the best signal in your area? Then go with the BB they offer. (Bold is GSM only (3G for GSM too) while the Tour has CDMA (and no 3G on GSM networks IIRC, at least in the US.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 01:12 PM
    Just like the poster mentioned above - think of which carrier offers the best signal.

If it was my choice, I would go with the Bold in a heartbeat - because to me, it has better build quality.

-Luis
    08-16-09 02:09 PM
    I'm in the market for my first BB and tried to find a comparison besides a spec sheet but couldn't find the info through a search.

For me the main selling point is the Bold's keyboard. The wi-fi feature is a plus but not a deal breaker. The Tour scares me a bit because of how many incidents of trackball failures.

Not considering price, what are the advantages/disadvantages of one phone over the other.
    Depends. What carrier do you want? Where do you plan to use it? GSM or CDMA?
    08-16-09 03:27 PM
    get the bold. it has wifi.
    08-16-09 03:37 PM
    Push your carrier to give a great deal on the Bold. Try the leaving for Iphone threat, but I would consider staying if I could have something like the Bold which has been out so long it is almost obsolete (rubbish but may persuade them to give you great deal on bold)

08-16-09 03:51 PM
    Depends on your carrier but my father's Tour feels much slower running apps and downloading them then my Bold does.
    08-16-09 04:00 PM
    You guys hit it on the head - choose the carrier.

Today I tested a heavy graphics web page on a Bold from ATT and it was really slow. I tested another Bold just to make sure it wasn't something else and it was equally slow.

I went across the street and opened the same website on a Tour from VZ and it came up almost immediately. I had never been to that VZ store so the likeliness of the page being cached is slim to none.

No contest. I'll get used to the smaller keyboard.
    08-16-09 05:16 PM
    Could it be that in the AT&T store that the iPhone 3gS was taking up bandwidth? VZ does not have the iPhone.

Bold is the clearly the better phone.
    08-16-09 05:23 PM
    Could it be that in the AT&T store that the iPhone 3gS was taking up bandwidth? VZ does not have the iPhone.

I think the iPhone users probably do use a substantial amount of bandwidth, and since there's so many of them, you're looking a quite a chunk of usage. I don't think AT&T's network was particularly ready to handle them, and they've been trying to play catch up for a while. That said, I've had better service with AT&T than Verizon at my house and office (yes, even with the iPhone users).
    08-16-09 05:48 PM
    Same here. There could be at least two or more active iPhone 3g's in the store considering the display has the 16GB and 32GB iPhones.So not a fair comparison.
    08-16-09 05:56 PM
    How do you guys know so much about Blackberry's? It's mind blowing! I must learn the way. I ask myself AM I WORTHY?LOL
    08-16-09 06:07 PM
    Get the bold its really a great phone

08-16-09 07:05 PM
    The bold may not be connected through the blackberry servers correctly. Blackberry compresses websites, so even EDGE blackberries are pretty quick. The Bold is a better phone just for the wifi, if not for the larger keyboard and awesome speaker.
    08-16-09 07:08 PM

I noticed in the upper right hand corner "3g" would appear briefly and then edge would appear for the rest of the test. I assumed that it could not maintain a 3g signal. There was no one on the iphones at the time - I looked around. This was the second time I tried a Bold and noticed a sluggishness but the comparison at the time was to an Iphone that was in the same store.

I've tried 3 Tours with the same fast results. It's unscientific but it left me with an impression that the better phone is the one with the better carrier, that's why I lean toward the Tour being a better phone for me. If I'm mistaken, then I won't know it until I run into someone with a Bold. Which for me is not too likely.

My original question asked for advantages/disadvantages because the better choice was not clear. Can you state why you think it's better?
    08-16-09 07:19 PM
    Bold hands down
    08-16-09 08:27 PM
    Thanks for the input. I chose the best carrier based on my limited experience.
    08-16-09 11:23 PM
    Seem about the same to me but I love my new Bold.

08-17-09 01:58 AM
    both are good, i like the tour for sure
    08-17-09 01:59 AM
    go for a bold! =)
    08-17-09 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD