HOTTT: BlackBerry Storm 9550 In Video Again! | CrackBerry.com
    Storm 2 chasers will want to stay tuned... newer versions of the Storm 2 hardware/software feature a cool improvement/innovation that hasn't yet been shown on the web (let's say there's even more to the display than initially meets the eye). I have no doubt it'll pop up in action before long.
    so what could it be? Let's start the guessing! This is so exciting!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BusaB; 08-16-09 at 12:19 PM.
    08-16-09 12:12 PM
    I heard a rumor that the screen can cook up a mean meatloaf.
    08-16-09 04:12 PM
    I heard a rumor that the screen can cook up a mean meatloaf.
    Lol! Now THAT would be worth the price of admission!

08-16-09 04:15 PM
    I understand the screen is not actually glass, but is made of the same aluminized, carbon fiber-plastic composite material that the lenses of Darth Vader's helmet are constructed out of.
    08-16-09 04:30 PM
    We should hear the changes in the next couple days. Can't wait. A video with the changes would be nice too.
    08-16-09 04:54 PM
    I am a huge car guy so I tend to relate most things to automobiles. I am also an engineering major so I tend to understand most of what I babble on about. Some will be familiar with the new infinitely adjustable suspension systems being used in new porsches and some of audi's hyper-cars, like the R8. The tech consists of dampers which are filled with an electromagnetic liquid that when applied a certain electric charge can be stiffened/softened in accordance with changing road conditions. In theory, there is absolutely no reason why this tech could not be implemented in smaller, even miniscule applications. This tech would explain the screen off/click off behavior and would allow for the amount of pressure used to click the screen to be adjustable. Thoughts?
    08-16-09 07:56 PM
    I like that logic subyfan! What kind of expense would that add to the device?
    Large? Negligible? Can one be safe with electromagnetic fluid in their hands?
    In a suspension is one thing... Interesting indeed!

08-16-09 08:03 PM
    I am a huge car guy so I tend to relate most things to automobiles. I am also an engineering major so I tend to understand most of what I babble on about. Some will be familiar with the new infinitely adjustable suspension systems being used in new porsches and some of audi's hyper-cars, like the R8. The tech consists of dampers which are filled with an electromagnetic liquid that when applied a certain electric charge can be stiffened/softened in accordance with changing road conditions. In theory, there is absolutely no reason why this tech could not be implemented in smaller, even miniscule applications. This tech would explain the screen off/click off behavior and would allow for the amount of pressure used to click the screen to be adjustable. Thoughts?
    I think this is possible. I heard a ways back, when the storm 1 was yet to be announced, that there would be some sort of liquid in the screen that sort of moved to the spot where it was pressed....

The other rumor is the screen sort of rises up a little bit kind of creating a button. I wonder if this liquid stuff could be enough to raise the screen, and when you push down it creates that clicking sensation?
    08-16-09 08:13 PM
    I would think it would add alot of expense and drain battery life. I've seen the same thing used as a clutch before, and I believe you have to apply a constant voltage to it to maintain the consistancy, draining the battery. Also I believe with no voltage applied to it that it is a complete liquid, so that would mean for the screen to lock up completely you would have to apply full voltage to the liquid, which obviously wouldn't happen when the phone is off. I don't think this kind of technology would be used in this application. From what I remember when I saw it as well (it was a few years ago in an engineering technical report) that the liquid was extremely expensive. Have my doubts about this one.
    08-16-09 08:16 PM
    The liquid is non-toxic and would cause the end user zero harm in the unfortunate case that they were to come into contact with it. Lower electric current equals a more gelatin-like substance and higher currents can equal anything in between up to a solid. This would have, theoretically, nearly infinite adjustability in terms of effort required to click the screen, and could be implemented in the same fashion as the current storm (i.e. one central button but instead a cylinder filled with the "liquid"). Once again, I claim to know absolutely nothing...this is just my educated guess as to a solution to this "new" "mysterious" tech and the only way I can think of to logically disable the click when the phone is off/locked.

P.S. - And for anyone worried about extra battery consumption, this process would require negligible amounts of energy.
    08-16-09 08:26 PM
    I would think it would add alot of expense and drain battery life. I've seen the same thing used as a clutch before, and I believe you have to apply a constant voltage to it to maintain the consistancy, draining the battery. Also I believe with no voltage applied to it that it is a complete liquid, so that would mean for the screen to lock up completely you would have to apply full voltage to the liquid, which obviously wouldn't happen when the phone is off. I don't think this kind of technology would be used in this application. From what I remember when I saw it as well (it was a few years ago in an engineering technical report) that the liquid was extremely expensive. Have my doubts about this one.
    Unless the "liquid" was engineered to be solid at zero current and fluid as voltage was applied. As for price, five years ago a 2gb flash drive was $60 - 70 so I'm not sure if I totally agree with this standpoint. Technology marches on (very quickly), and as it does so prices for said technology drop DRAMATICALLY. Once again, this is just my opinion.
    08-16-09 08:31 PM
    I'm in loved
    08-16-09 08:48 PM
    Let me guess, it can make a phone call and end phone calls without freezing up lol.
    08-16-09 08:48 PM
    Let me guess, it can make a phone call and end phone calls without freezing up lol.
    LMAO now THAT is what i call wishful thinking
    08-16-09 08:58 PM
    yes, but if it was affordable it would be on cheaper cars, not just Porsche's and audi's. When I saw it it was to expensive to be used on consumer anything. It looks like the price has made its way down to being able to be used by very high end automobiles. Someday it may make its way down to more mainstream consumer level products, but I have my doubts about right now.

Also negligble power draw on a car is different from negligible power draw on a phone. I realize there will be less of liquid to energize, but it will always be present, on something like a phone with a finite power supply I'm sure they last thing they want to do is add something that constantly consumes more power.

I can't find any links to the type of liquid in question (I can't for the life of me remember its name), but I believe that it was a liquid suspending material that would react to the current, not a solid that would liquify with a current applied to it. Of course things may of changed since then, like you said technology is always moving forward, but AFAIK it would have to have a constant voltage applied to it to keep the screen locked. I just wish I could find more information on the liquid in question.
    08-16-09 09:47 PM
    what ever the innovation is there will always be someone that doesnt like it and thinks it could be better
    08-16-09 10:00 PM
    08-16-09 11:02 PM
    I worked on a project a few years ago to control magnetorheological fluids. The only thing that would worry me would be power consumption.

I don't think that this is the technology used in the Odin, this type of fluid would not give the click feel(spring,button) that they are mentioning. I think it will be related to the capacitive+resistive TS technology that RIM has applied a patent for.
    08-16-09 11:25 PM
    It could be that they will be implemanting surface wave technology for the touch screen. Fairly new to the industry and not widely used yet. If memory serves, I believe 3M first marketed SW touchscreens about 2 years ago.

08-16-09 11:38 PM
    Maybe (or definitely).... The screen is a biometric sensor... :-) Thumb prints.

08-16-09 11:48 PM
    I think it will have something to do with a type of screen lift or movement. I think Kevin's "pop up in action" comment is a clue. Just throwing it out there.
    08-16-09 11:57 PM
    I don't post much but I know too much about cars to not say something.

I have no clue how this would work in the Storm, not saying it won't, just that I don't know how it will turn out. But as for in automobile shocks it works very well and isn't an expensive innovation really. It's not just used in the Porsche's and Audi's. GM has been using it for quite a long time. It first showed up in the GMC Yukon with great success. It has also been used in the Corvette for awhile too. Cadillac has more recently started using the magnetic shocks in car line-up. It's becoming more common, but it just takes time like any new technology.

As for using it in small applications, I know there are rumors of Porsche using a sort of active magnetic dampener as motor mounts to minimize vibrations while also minimizing engine movement thus minimizing torque loss.

Here is a video simplifying how the magnetic shocks work.
    08-17-09 12:01 AM
    u don't post much.... and u have only 1 post? understatement?
    08-17-09 12:13 AM
    Yeah, I think Kevin should drop us a new hint every other day....
    08-17-09 12:21 AM
    i hope its not something stupid...
    08-17-09 12:35 AM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD