From Profootballtalk.com

When I decided to shut down my law practice to do this job full time, I did it in large part because of the reality that we get only one shot at life, and thus we all should strive to do what we enjoy, because we never know when it all might end.

That point was reiterated in resounding fashion earlier today, when the man who sparked our relations with Sprint informed me of a tragedy within the Sprint family.

Vice president of marketing Thomas Murphy, 45, died Friday when a boulder struck the SUV in which he, his wife, and his three young sons were riding.

The family had just finished a vacation in Aspen and were on their way home when the rock rolled down an embankment and hit the windshield of the vehicle. Murphy's wife, Jennifer, and two of his sons, John (8) and Thomas (6), were not injured. Murphy's 11-year-old son, Ethan, was injured, but the extent of the injuries have not been reported.

Murphy joined Sprint in 1996, and he ultimately oversaw all external marketing efforts, including Sprint's relationship with the NFL and PFT.

Said the company in a statement, ""The employees of Sprint are deeply saddened on the death of Tom Murphy. Cheerful and enthusiastic, he was a highly effective marketing advocate for Sprint and a beloved member of Sprint's NASCAR team."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Murphy's family, friends, and colleagues.

NBC Sports - Pro Football Talk
    Sprint executive killed in Colorado by falling boulder - Kansas City Star
    08-16-09 02:36 AM
    Truly a very sad story....especially for his family! Thanks for sharing this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 10:06 AM
    That's horrible.....I feel extremely bad for those kids who have to grow up without their father.
    08-16-09 12:22 PM
    Wow sos sad r.I.p

08-16-09 01:12 PM
    WOw those kids have to live with that image of the father...And to be without one is truly got to be hard...
    08-16-09 06:18 PM
    Wow, sad. My condolences to his family

08-16-09 08:02 PM
    Very sad. Another reason to cherish every day, and don't sweat the small stuff! I need to go home and hug the family!

08-17-09 12:28 PM
    terrible>>>
    08-17-09 12:45 PM
    So sad to hear. My prayers go out to his family.
    08-17-09 01:18 PM
    This has inspired me to leave the office early today and be thankful for my family !
    08-21-09 03:35 PM
    that sucks. i hope all goes well with the family and they all come out physically ok.
    mentally it will be tough though
    08-21-09 07:53 PM
    this is very sad and disturbing
    08-23-09 06:43 PM
    very sad to hear that .... RIP
    08-23-09 07:02 PM
    Sad. Time to put down the bb and interact with the loved ones

08-23-09 07:40 PM
    What a doggone shame. Sometimes the weirdest occurrences make you sit back and think a little.

08-23-09 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD