I've been wondering this for awhile - haven't seen anyone discuss it...though I have seen others with the same hope as me.

All the new BBs since the Bold are Curve-sized (Tour, Onyx, Javelin).

Does RIM plan on continuing to release Bold-sized BBs for those of us who prefer the larger form-factor/keyboard?

I'm personally glad they changed the Onyx from 9020 to 9700 because I would have been pretty depressed if the Bold 2 were for people with tiny hands!
    08-14-09 03:32 PM
    I agree! I wish T-mobile had the Bold. It would be in my hands right now
    08-14-09 03:42 PM
    Im wanting one on Verizon.
    08-15-09 08:10 PM
    I agree! I wish T-mobile had the Bold. It would be in my hands right now
    Just buy an unlocked one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 10:43 PM
    You are waiting (like so many others amongst us) for the mythical MAGNUM. It is still not in the pipeline, so news are scarce - it is not expected before Q2 of 2010.
    08-16-09 03:55 AM
    I wish...wish wish wish! the Bold was on Verizon. Even without Wi-fi I'd get it. I love the form factor of it. Gorgeous.
    08-16-09 04:02 AM
    You are waiting (like so many others amongst us) for the mythical MAGNUM. It is still not in the pipeline, so news are scarce - it is not expected before Q2 of 2010.
    Are you saying the Magum, if it exists, is expected to be "Bold-sized?"
    08-16-09 09:09 AM
    Yes there is another "Bold-sized" device coming.

08-16-09 09:42 AM
    Crucial which is better? I have a BOLD but want to improve if there is an improvement coming. I do love my BOLD
    08-16-09 09:52 AM

please say verizon
    08-16-09 10:03 AM

i would higly appreciate it if you would let me know if this phone is touchscreen or not?
    08-16-09 10:19 AM

Thanks CX - glad to know it wasn't a fluke. Regardless of what it is, to know that RIM hasn't abandoned the "Bold-size" is great news.

People often say smaller is better when it comes to technology but there is a "too small" for some people.

The other good news is that because the Bold and any future devices are slightly bigger than the Curve-sized devices, RIM can fit more/better features into it...probably the reason why the Bold is the "flagship" device and a successor of the same size would hopefully carry that torch.
    08-16-09 10:34 AM
    I agree jeffreii...........and well put
    08-16-09 12:00 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there will be many more devices that are the size of the Bold. I keep hearing that this "Magnum" will have the same form factor, however, before the specs were released on the Onyx, it was pegged to have the same form factor and we have seen now that it isn't true. The problem is that RIM actually listens to its consumers and a number of Bold owners complained about the bulk of the phone, hence the launching of smaller devices since. I personally love the size. But I don't see RIM making too many $ore devices like the Bold.

08-16-09 12:56 PM
    Now which is it? Sorry dwayne williams but I am going with crucial's information he is crackberry's guru on everything
    08-16-09 01:00 PM
    Interesting. I think you should get some peeps together and make RIM aware of that!
    08-16-09 01:00 PM
    I tried the Tour on Verizon after the Bold on AT&T. I thought the Tour would be newer and better. I was wrong, it might be newer but I don't think it was better. The Bold just seems to be a higher quality build.

I bought a TracFone to use until AT&T launches the new Onyx/Merlin to avoid locking into a 2 year contract. Now I'm reading about another Bold size BB planned for the future. I liked the size of the Bold but thought it was on the way out and the Onyx/Merlin was the "Bold" of the future.

So what's the deal? Is the Onyx/Merlin the "new and improved Bold" with the same quality of build or is there another "true" Bold in the works?

My main beef with the Tour was that it seemed to be a cheaper made phone and did not evoke the same level of confidence of the Bold.
    08-16-09 11:22 PM
    I tried the Tour on Verizon after the Bold on AT&T. I thought the Tour would be newer and better. I was wrong, it might be newer but I don't think it was better. The Bold just seems to be a higher quality build.

I bought a TracFone to use until AT&T launches the new Onyx/Merlin to avoid locking into a 2 year contract. Now I'm reading about another Bold size BB planned for the future. I liked the size of the Bold but thought it was on the way out and the Onyx/Merlin was the "Bold" of the future.

So what's the deal? Is the Onyx/Merlin the "new and improved Bold" with the same quality of build or is there another "true" Bold in the works?

My main beef with the Tour was that it seemed to be a cheaper made phone and did not evoke the same level of confidence of the Bold.
    I think this has been discussed in some of the Onyx threads on this forum - but it appears that RIM isn't entirely sure about it either. At first, it seemed destined to become the Bold 2 as it was given the model number 9020, clearly a successor to the Bold/9000...and there are even pre-production units that have "Bold 2" on the back.

However, it has recently been changed to the 9700 and the fact that it's not the same size as the Bold might be the issue. It's NOT a major upgrade to the Bold either.

Considering CX stated in this thread that there is an upcoming device that is Bold-sized...I'd have to believe/hope that it will be a Bold 2. RIM can pack more features into the larger size of the Bold and that lends itself to being a new flagship device.

This is me hoping, though. We won't know until RIM makes it official.
    08-17-09 09:39 AM
    Could always get an old 8700 or 8800 device :P
    08-17-09 12:56 PM
    I swithed from Verizon for the BOLD and absolutely love it (size included) just so you know its possible, I bought a used BOLD on Ebay then signed up with AT&T with NO contract so I can still get the deal on an Onyx or BOLD 2 when it comes out. That's when I'll sign up for the 2 year contract. Call AT&T and ask they'll give you service without a contract if you already have a phone !!!
    Ebay BOLD's are between $250-$350
    08-18-09 10:55 PM
    I swithed from Verizon for the BOLD and absolutely love it (size included) just so you know its possible, I bought a used BOLD on Ebay then signed up with AT&T with NO contract so I can still get the deal on an Onyx or BOLD 2 when it comes out. That's when I'll sign up for the 2 year contract. Call AT&T and ask they'll give you service without a contract if you already have a phone !!!
    Ebay BOLD's are between $250-$350
    Fibo...That's most likely the best way to go. I've done exactly what you did and if either the S2 or B2 comes out either this year or next at least I don't have to pay an ETF to get whatever comes out!
    08-18-09 11:41 PM
    Guys, there is a six-page thread on the BOLD 2 here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/bo...master-276578/

08-19-09 05:31 AM
    Guys, there is a six-page thread on the BOLD 2 here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/bo...master-276578/

That phone is still pretty much unconfirmed, isn't it?

And no mention in your post whether or not it will be Bold-sized...which is a fair question considering the Onyx (Curve-sized), has one point, had "Bold 2" branded on the back.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 08-20-09 at 08:24 PM.
    08-19-09 11:00 AM
    That phone is still pretty much unconfirmed, isn't it?

And no mention in your post whether or not it will be Bold-sized...which is a fair question considering the Onyx (Curve-sized), as one point, had "Bold 2" branded on the back.
    You are right - an omission on my part - although it says "the flagship model" it does not clearly talk about bold-sized. I added this among the features , so there is no ambiguity. Thank you :thumbsup:
    08-19-09 11:19 AM
    IMO the Bold its still the best BB out! Hopefully they will come out with another BB same size n dimesion as the Bold, the main reason why I love my Bold....
    08-19-09 11:22 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD