OK, I don't know if any of you have had the time to mess with any other phones other then BBs, but I'm going to take a small stab again at what the S2 screen click technology might be close to. If any of you have used the T-Mobile Moto Rokr E8, then you might get an idea of what the new S2 touch/click technology might "feel like" under your fingers.

Again, I'm by no means speaking from experience with the S2, but I think that as time progresses, this type of screen click technology will be close to what RIM is trying to duplicate. Another aspect of why I think the S2 will have this similar feel is because with the Rokr off (no power) the button clicking doesn't happen or at least I don't feel it being as pronounced as when the device's screen/display is on... sound fermiliar?

Anyway, please discuss.

BTW, you probably won't see additional posts by me in this tread because I don't want to break 10k just yet. There's discussion as to what that's all about in the Storm Owner's Lounge if you're interested. Thanks everyone!!!
    08-14-09 12:32 PM
    i would really like to know. Thats the biggest change for S2 and it seems that its the one least explained
    08-14-09 12:41 PM
    One really cool development on the 9550 front that I'm excited to share... soooon....
    [/CENTER]
    There's still something really cool I'd love to share that to me is the "big news" of the device, but just don't want to take the risk on it right now (though if somebody else says it first i'll be happy to post about it).
    Civic I think your on the right track. I think this " Big News" of the device has something to do with the screen technology.
    08-14-09 12:58 PM
    The E8 uses haptics controls. I see what you mean by the 'feel;' however this is a different, well, thing.
    08-14-09 02:03 PM
    any kind of pics or videos displaying this ? for those of us that aren't familiar with the Moto Rokr E8??
    08-14-09 02:14 PM
    any kind of pics or videos displaying this ? for those of us that aren't familiar with the Moto Rokr E8??
    YouTube has several vids that will give you a feel for the device-
    08-14-09 02:23 PM
    Ya'know Civic, after lookin @ this vid of the Moto, I think you might be on to somethin'. I could DEFINELY see RIM taking this kinda tech to another level.

08-14-09 03:07 PM
    The difficulty with something like that is, moto controls those screens, so they can set the keyboard up to have specific locations to provide that kind of feed back. With a phone like this there is no set locations where you will be pressing all the time, so it may be a bit more difficult to kind of have independant buttons for each selection as you could be selecting a link in the browser anywhere in the screen. Neat idea, just be interesting to see how they implement it.
    08-14-09 03:20 PM
    When the screen is OFF the phone surface becomes solid, like the Iphone's and when its ON it becomes a better STORM surface with sure press.

It's pretty impressive really
    08-14-09 03:44 PM
    When the screen is OFF the phone surface becomes solid, like the Iphone's and when its ON it becomes a better STORM surface with sure press.

It's pretty impressive really
    But is this surepress or truepress? Does it allow you to not have to completely 100% remove your finger off the letter before pressing the next one? Because that's what bugged me before.
    08-14-09 05:09 PM
    My hope is that the screen would be like that of the garmin GPS. Pressure sensitive. It's so easy to type in an address on those things.
    08-14-09 05:18 PM
    But is this surepress or truepress? Does it allow you to not have to completely 100% remove your finger off the letter before pressing the next one? Because that's what bugged me before.
    os 5.0 allows that to happen, so thats a software thing
    08-14-09 05:23 PM
    jrscivic98...will you go out with me??
    08-14-09 09:19 PM
    Of COURSE not. Why would she date someone that cannot even spell her name right?

JRSCCivic98... you forgot the 1st 'c'.
    08-14-09 09:50 PM
    Yeah she is hot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 01:04 AM
    heres a hint for you

http://forums.crackberry.com/f139/po...ml#post3345696
    08-15-09 01:45 AM
    I'm going to take a stab at it: electromagnetics?
    08-15-09 03:42 AM
    Im gonna have to say its some sort of recovered tech from Roswell or Area 51. Makes perfect since really...
    08-15-09 04:04 AM
    Electromagnets is the closest anyone here has gotten. It's also the only real guess done.
    08-15-09 04:26 AM
    I'm wondering if this is the hybrid resistive-capacitive technology RIM patented that surfaced recently.

08-15-09 05:35 AM
    I'm wondering if this is the hybrid resistive-capacitive technology RIM patented that surfaced recently.

RIM or HTC?
    08-15-09 06:30 AM
    RIM or HTC?
    RIM just filed a patent for a capacitive/resistive screen. However, I thought I'd heard they got denied. I could probably find more information on it later, perhaps when I come back to work in 13 hours (or less).
    08-15-09 06:33 AM
    Screw it, I'm not doing anything right now. How's this for the moment. I'll keep working on where I saw it's already been denied. I think I'd seen that it was denied because Apple already got it. Unless that was a potential thing only.

Patent office's write-up

Unwired's write-up regarding the patent. Written 8/5/09.
    08-15-09 06:49 AM
    k thanks! I'll go hit on her on that thread
    08-15-09 12:49 PM
    I am a huge car guy so I tend to relate most things to automobiles. I am also an engineering major so I tend to understand most of what I babble on about. Some will be familiar with the new infinitely adjustable suspension systems being used in new porsches and some of audi's hyper-cars, like the R8. The tech consists of dampers which are filled with an electromagnetic liquid that when applied a certain electric charge can be stiffened/softened in accordance with changing road conditions. In theory, there is absolutely no reason why this tech could not be implemented in smaller, even miniscule applications. This tech would explain the screen off/click off behavior and would allow for the amount of pressure used to click the screen to be adjustable. Thoughts?
    08-16-09 07:14 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD