I never understood, what is the point of getting phone insurance for your blackberry? So you pay 2 years of insurance at $5 a month = $120, and for a Bold you deductable is $125

So thats $245 if you loose/break your phone, and if you don't lose/break you wasted $120. So $245 to get a replacement refurbished phone... Why does anyone even bother with the insurance? I'd rather risk having to buy a new phone outright...

Any thoughts on this?
    08-12-09 10:21 AM
    Im with you on this one......although a new bold would run you probaby 399.00 to 499.00 with the carrier...you can purchase one new or gently used from craigslist or ebay for 150-300
    08-12-09 10:25 AM
    Im with you on this one......although a new bold would run you probaby 399.00 to 499.00 with the carrier...you can purchase one new or gently used from craigslist or ebay for 150-300
    I think my opinion is partly because I take very good care of my phones. I've had my bold since December, and it only has one little scratch on it (from the only time it's ever been dropped on a hard surface). If it did get broken before I could renew my contract I would just find one on craigslist for less $
    08-12-09 10:40 AM
    not everyone's deductable is that high. mine is 95 flat fee for blackberry replacement through insurance.

there's also the fact that technically you don't need insurance right away because they come with a one year warranty that, depending on the problem, you get your bb replaced for freeee!
    08-12-09 10:45 AM
    not everyone's deductable is that high. mine is 95 flat fee for blackberry replacement through insurance.

there's also the fact that technically you don't need insurance right away because they come with a one year warranty that, depending on the problem, you get your bb replaced for freeee!
    unless I am mistaken they make you add the insurance within 30 days of buying the new phone.
    08-12-09 11:01 AM
    I'm kinda on the fence here. I absolutely and completely believe you need insurance the first year or so on the phone. Being that most deductables are running about $80 to $100, I'd much rather pay that and $60 for the year of insurance. Once the phone is about a year old and it starts to show wear anyway, I'd call it quits on the insurance. Also if you're eligible for an upgrade, I'd say you're wasting money on insurance. I don't think anyone would cash in on insurance to replace a phone that is pretty much obsolete at that point. I'd just take the renewal and upgrade to a newer device. One thing I would never do is take a brand new phone out the door without some coverage on it. Who knows what's gonna happen in the first three or four months? Some phones are more susceptable to damage than others (compare the build of an HTC to a BB for example). Either way, if you brick the phone and the carrier doesn't want to play nice, It's probably gonna come out of your pocket to buy the replacement if you don't have insurance. So unless you're willing to live with a used (non-refurbished phone), you're probably going to lose out. A lot of these smartphones run $400 to $500 MSRP to replace in the first year. After that they tend to be reduced in price. Just my philosophy on insurance...
    08-12-09 12:03 PM
    I never understood, what is the point of getting phone insurance for your blackberry? So you pay 2 years of insurance at $5 a month = $120, and for a Bold you deductable is $125

So thats $245 if you loose/break your phone, and if you don't lose/break you wasted $120. So $245 to get a replacement refurbished phone... Why does anyone even bother with the insurance? I'd rather risk having to buy a new phone outright...

Any thoughts on this?
    When my phone crapped out on me, my provider replaced my phone without me having to pay anything. God bless handset insurance.
    08-12-09 12:48 PM
    When my phone crapped out on me, my provider replaced my phone without me having to pay anything. God bless handset insurance.
    I guess that my point though.....I cant make the math work no matter how you swing it.....my PHP through TMO is 5.00 or the like and then to make a claim through assurion? is 135 for a bb.....so 135.00 plus shipping....5.99 plus what ive put in 10 bucks......ya ok i can see the first year thing then drop it.....
    08-12-09 12:52 PM
    The math can be a bit different depending on the phone though.

Some phones you're looking at $400-500 used. But I still think insurance isn't worth it overall and I never get it.
    08-12-09 01:31 PM

Any thoughts on this?
    I agree with you, but at the same time some people have actually needed and used the insurance. A couple years ago, my 8800 got damaged and I had insurance on it and I paid my $75 ded and got a brand spankin new one. If I didn't have insurance then I would have had to dig deeper into my pockets. But it's just like any other insurance.... car, life, home, health..... you pay for it every year but if you don't use it, you still don't get your money back. So it just depends on if you want to take the chance. I had to have my phone replaced a couple time through insurance so I was glad I had it. If not, I would have paid way more in buying the phone again at retail. I recommend having insurance for just the first year. After that it may not be worth it anymore since most will be looking to get the next greatest device.
    08-12-09 02:41 PM
    I always suggest insurance. Its only 4.99 a month. thats 60 bux a year. Then depending on your phone its either a $50 or $125 deductacle to replace. most phones are 50.00 including the curve 8310 and 8900. The Bold and samsung Epix and a few other phones are 125.00. These phones are usually around 300 (curve 8310) to 600 (bold) buxx in store to buy at full retail. The replacement is usually a refurbished unit, but it has a full 1 yr warranty instead of a 90 day which is customary when you purchase a refurb from the store. Not many people are willing to shell out 500 buxx to replace a phone out of pocket.

basically for the price of a combo meal at McDonalds every month you can replace your phone which is quite literally your lifeline. I don't know of anything that you use more than your phone. your phone is with you every where you go.
    08-12-09 04:57 PM
    I always suggest insurance. Its only 4.99 a month. thats 60 bux a year. Then depending on your phone its either a $50 or $125 deductacle to replace. most phones are 50.00 including the curve 8310 and 8900. The Bold and samsung Epix and a few other phones are 125.00. These phones are usually around 300 (curve 8310) to 600 (bold) buxx in store to buy at full retail. The replacement is usually a refurbished unit, but it has a full 1 yr warranty instead of a 90 day which is customary when you purchase a refurb from the store. Not many people are willing to shell out 500 buxx to replace a phone out of pocket.

basically for the price of a combo meal at McDonalds every month you can replace your phone which is quite literally your lifeline. I don't know of anything that you use more than your phone. your phone is with you every where you go.
    quoted for truth!
    08-12-09 07:54 PM
    I think hardly anyone buys replacement phones at full retail...

You're looking at $260-300 for a used Bold. And from what I've seen about a lot of people with insurance, they get their phone replaced A LOT on purpose...

I wonder if that has anything to do with making the $ spent worthwhile...

Sure it has it's uses, but it also gets abused to the point where your deductible might start rising like they have been already.
    08-12-09 08:04 PM
    Insurance works well for people who may not be in a situation to pay full retail for a handset. $50.00 or even $100.00 is easier for some folks to come up with unexpectedly.
    08-19-09 12:22 AM
    Depends on the phone. And when they are new they are expensive w/o contract. That's why.

Or you can sell one and buy another through insurance and make a little money.
    08-19-09 07:21 PM
    phone insurance is not worth it, simple as that. they have to make money, its a business. so they count on not everyone making a claim, and if the majority makes a claim, they have to be able to pay those claims plus turn a profit. IMO, its too expensive. If I lose a phone, I simply either buy a used one or save my money until I have enough to buy one.
    08-20-09 09:34 AM
    For accident prone people it is worth it...
    before my Bold i had an ATT Tilt and hopped off the loft in my form room and when i hit the floor it slipped out of my hand and smacked the floor and the screen was gone... at that time ATT didnt offer insurance on smartphones.
    when i upgraded to the Bold i found out that ATT had insurance for smartphones i took the insurance as a just in case because the way my bill worked out i was gonna be charged $5 less so i took the $5 insurance and just kept paying the same price per month.

With my bold i have had it replaced twice... lol the first time was when i was on spring break this year and i accidentally walked into the hot tub with my Bold... bad news... and then i had it stolen on me... so both times were my fault and i should have been smarter but i just let my guard down.. so it has come in handy for me! The only problem now is the fact that they told me i am being dropped from the wireless insurance because i only get 2 claims. oh well. when i learn the hard way i always remember so i think im safe now
    08-24-09 09:29 AM
    For me personally it isn't worth it. I change devices way to often to justify the cost.
    08-24-09 11:50 AM
    4 BlackBerrys and I never purchased carrier insurance for a
    single one. Never will.
    08-24-09 09:29 PM
    if i had a back up BB i would get rid of insurance, but i do not
    08-26-09 12:37 PM
    The warranty for new phones only covers manufacturer defects -- not stupidity. I bought new phones for my family 2 weeks ago, and fortunately I bought the insurance because my son just walked into the jacuzzi with his phone in his pocket.... There's a $50 deductible, but it's a lot better than having to pay for a new phone.
    08-29-09 01:53 AM
    Thinking about canceling insurane. It has not come in handy since I have the warranty, which I have used twice
    09-03-09 07:31 PM
    phone insurance is not worth it, simple as that. they have to make money, its a business. so they count on not everyone making a claim, and if the majority makes a claim, they have to be able to pay those claims plus turn a profit. IMO, its too expensive. If I lose a phone, I simply either buy a used one or save my money until I have enough to buy one.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I either use an older phone until the next upgrade. I don't see the point of insurance, especially with higher priced deductibles for BB's.
    09-05-09 09:19 AM
    Ideally ur phone would break 18months into the contract, insurance would replaceit with a new one. You could sell the new one on ebay for a tun of money, and then walk into an att store, extend ur contract, and get something else

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 03:24 PM
    So I have read all the above, and I want to know do you get the min insurance or the full one. I am on verizon plan ? The prices range from 3.00 to 10.00 a month Is it worth getting the full insurance ?
    06-20-10 05:05 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD