So last night before I went to bed I walked into my bedroom, turned on my AC and checked my email on my phone, etc. The phone seemed fine. There were no blemishes, the screen was fine, etc. Just like it's been every night before I went to bed. I woke up this morning and looked at the screen and was like WTF!? There was like a dark cloud happening all around the edges of the phone and even dots of it in the center. It's not under the screen protector but appears to be on the backside of the screen in between the LCD and glass or something. It's almost like the two are seperating from each other or something. The phone was NOT dropped in water nor was water spilled on it. It poured like crazy last night and I'm wondering if having the AC on and the room going from hot to cold had something to do with it with all the humidity. The phone was not placed on the AC or near it. The touch screen operates fine(errr.. As well as any Storm screen can possibly operate).

Look at the attached pics. Disregard any lines you see in the pic, those are not on the phone. It's just the way I set the camera to capture a clear image of the "clouds". Has anyone else had THIS happen to them? I'm at work at it's progressively become worse throughout the day.

IMG_1460 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_1461 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    08-10-09 12:45 PM
    Wow man. Looks like some kind of moisture. Do you have the insurance through VZW on it?
    08-10-09 01:14 PM
    wow that sucks! just realized you answered my suggestion. I am really not fully awake yet!
    08-10-09 01:19 PM
    My Girlfriends had this happen to her and it turns out that Best Buy had installed the screen protector that I bought over the factory one that was on it. Removed both and put a new one on and no more problem! Probaly not the case with yours though.
    08-10-09 01:34 PM
    My Fiancee had this same thing happen to his phone. It was caused from moisture between the screen and the metal behind the glass. He spilled water on his phone and his phone had the same look. A thing you could try could be to take a big ziplock bag with white rice and set the phone in the bag for a day or so. The rice usually soaks up the moisture. It works in most cases but not all. If you still have your phone give it a try and see if it works. Hope this helps even just a little.
    08-10-09 01:49 PM
    Yeah, I thought about trying the rice option. I don't know how well it will work though. I think what prob happened is the phone was hot/warm and collected moisture from humidity in the air. Because the temp was hot and the humidity was high it made the phone expanded and the seal(the crappy one) between the back plate and glass sort of was sort of broken. Then it may have collected some moisture in the air from the humidity in it. Then what happened it was still warm and then placed it the cold room with AC and the condensation formed under the screen or along the edges and it seeped in between the screen and plate and voila. Going to call Verizon to make sure the phone has insurance. Work bought it for me and pays for the service and I know requested the insurance because I knew things could happen to the phone. A lesson in science I didn't think would be part of it's downfall though. :b
    Last edited by kidqwik; 08-10-09 at 02:12 PM.
    08-10-09 02:04 PM
    I know you said this ...are you positive there is no screen protector ? Glass polymers usually don't react like this to moisture. If so, there was clearly a poor seal between layers and warrants an insurance claim.
    08-10-09 04:41 PM
    Yeah, I thought about trying the rice option. I don't know how well it will work though. I think what prob happened is the phone was hot/warm and collected moisture from humidity in the air. Because the temp was hot and the humidity was high it made the phone expanded and the seal(the crappy one) between the back plate and glass sort of was sort of broken. Then it may have collected some moisture in the air from the humidity in it. Then what happened it was still warm and then placed it the cold room with AC and the condensation formed under the screen or along the edges and it seeped in between the screen and plate and voila. Going to call Verizon to make sure the phone has insurance. Work bought it for me and pays for the service and I know requested the insurance because I knew things could happen to the phone. A lesson in science I didn't think would be part of it's downfall though. :b
    Try the rice option. Leave it for a couple days, or so. Rice really sucks up the moisture!, even if it's deep inside the phone.
    08-10-09 05:50 PM
    No two screen protectors. I had peeled them all off(2 of em) when I got the phone and put on a new one.

I brought it into the Verizon store to see what they would say because the creeping black clouds of doom have gotten worse as the day went on and it's no longer just a ring around the edges and a few dots in the center. The clouds are MERGING! And the dots in the center are expanding! I fear the fate of the world if the phone's screen become covered in perpetual darkness. The Verizon people were all looking at it like WTF. There are no signs of water dmg(of course not) and all the stickers say that as well. I've come to the conclusion that my Storm is a perfect example of heat makes things expand and cold makes things contract like roads, sidewalks, walls in homes, etc and this is what happened. I really don't think it's moisture that is making the dark clouds anymore, but actual seperation of the LCD screen and the backing is attached to that lights up under the LCD screen. It actually has a 3D kind of look now. You can see through the colored pictures on the screen and behind it see the clouds. They weren't able to pull off my contacts with their non BB Desktop gadget. I told them I could go home and do it(since I have in the past). They told me I could come back and they'd give me a new one. Hopefully it's not a refurb... Wish it was a Storm 2. O wells.
    08-10-09 06:48 PM
    Nice title! I almost missed it.

It looks just like my hands!
    08-10-09 07:10 PM
    Damn that's gota suck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD