From the orig Bubble Army thread:

For better or worse, we've published Bubble Army 2.0

New features:
    - up to 3 AI players
    - custom games in addition to the old campaign mode
    - option to replay the last game (for those aiming for the perfect score)
    - ability to reset the score

The game is currently available through the BlackBerry AppWorld.
    So far I only see the upgrade on AppWorld (actually, AppWorld notified me of the change - pretty neat ). Anyway, they have decided to charge an 2.99 for the upgrade. I've enjoyed the game alot so far but find myself playing other games (Bubble Defense has me consumed - same authors by the way) so I want to hear what others think before buying. Are the new features enough to bring me back to the game if I've stopped playing? They seem pretty cool.

Anyone buy the upgrade and want to report?

-Greg
    08-10-09 09:16 AM
    I'm pretty pissed the author is charging for the upgrade...

Will wait to see other reports as well, but doubt I'll upgrade as while I loved 1.0 the fun wore off quickly...
    08-10-09 11:44 AM
    I bought the upgrade the other day. The multiple players is interesting, but like the original author said, I'm hooked on Bubble Defense. It's fun, but nothing earth shattering.
    08-10-09 12:33 PM
    I tried to upgrade but App World has no record of my initial purchase. I'm not paying 5 bucks for the upgrade.
    08-10-09 01:59 PM
    Any screenshots?
    08-10-09 02:36 PM
    Any screenshots?
    I wouldn't mind seeing some new screenshots as well. I guess it will look like the current game except there will be more colors to represent other armies.

-Greg
    08-10-09 10:56 PM
    Tried the game and its very cool ! Like that you can play up to 4 colors with teams 2-2 1-3 or all against each other. Adds a whole new element which increases the time it takes to beat some levels. Oh and its awesome letting one color take out another and you come and steal their big bubble for dirt cheap . I say worth the 3$ you won't regret it !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 01:05 AM
    Tried the game and its very cool ! Like that you can play up to 4 colors with teams 2-2 1-3 or all against each other. Adds a whole new element which increases the time it takes to beat some levels. Oh and its awesome letting one color take out another and you come and steal their big bubble for dirt cheap . I say worth the 3$ you won't regret it !

Trying out the demo right now.. pretty slick. (for the first version)
    08-11-09 05:46 AM
    I decided to splurge the $3. I think it is worth it. The additional teams does add a nice new dimension to the game. I would prefer more of a token cost to upgrade but understand that this was not a trivial update (e.g. just some bug fixes).

I can't wait for an update to Bubble Defense and hope it is as interesting an improvement as this is (though I'd also be happy for some new maps)!

-Greg
    08-11-09 09:38 AM
    Charge for an upgrade? I thought there was something wrong with my login to app world. Kept relogging in thinking, "can't be, I've already PAID for this game."

No thanks. I definitely DO NOT want to support that kind of business model in any way.

If they released a FULL Bubble Army 2 with a complete overhaul (new gfx, etc) i'd spring for what theyre asking for the full game.

Bubble Army is great, but most authors are upgrading and fixing their games for free. That's what I want more of. We're already getting KILLED in app world price wise.
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 08-11-09 at 05:28 PM.
    08-11-09 05:25 PM
    I wish it were hosted on CB's App Store. I hate Paypal and would much rather pay for it directly with a credit card.

08-11-09 10:00 PM
    Thought we have to come out and say something...

Looks like we've irritated many people with our paid upgrade. We really believed (and still believe) that that version 2.0 is more than just a minor upgrade. We've redesigned the core of the game to support multiple AI players. We've put together a custom game mode. In our opinion, a fair price for this upgrade would be $0.99. We also raised the price for the new buyers to $4.99 to keep it fair for everybody.

And then we had to face the reality. AppWorld's minimum price is $2.99 even for upgrades. We still don't know what's happened to $4.99 - no sales at this price. We had to postpone the release of the game on Mobihand (and hence on the Crackberry store) until we understand what's going on.

To those who directly or indirectly accused us of being greedy: you don't know the reality of designing games for BlackBerry or Android (cannot say anything about iPhone). Majority of independent developers (including us) do it on a second-job basis because the revenues are too little to quit whatever else we are doing for a living.

We apologize for the messy release of the second version. Going forward, we will have to think how and if we upgrade our apps. One thing for sure - no more $2.99 upgrades.
    Last edited by SecondGear; 08-13-09 at 02:09 PM.
    08-13-09 02:01 PM
    We apologize for the messy release of the second version. Going forward, we will have to think how and if we upgrade our apps. One thing for sure - no more $2.99 upgrades.
    I appriciate your post and agree that $.99 would have been more appropriate had it been possible. I also agree that this was not a trivial upgrade and the change does add a new dimension to the strategy for the game.

Most important to me though is that it would be a real shame if this issue delays or inhibits your release of the upgrade to Bubble Defense! It is my favorite game for the BB and I would love cool new maps! Don't let this experience slow you down you are doing great things!!!

-Greg
    08-14-09 08:13 PM
    Thanks for your comments, SecondGear! I bought the upgrade and I do not regret doing so. The multiple AI players added a new dimension to the game and it's once again made it a challenge.

In the grand scheme of things, and extra few dollars doesn't matter. I want MORE, not less, games on the Storm. And if it means I have to pay a few dollars to support developers, when I am one, I'm happy to help! You guys do a great job. I loved Bubble Army 1 and I'm happy to support Bubble Army 2.
    08-14-09 08:28 PM
    Second Gear, thanks for designing my two favorite games. I've downloaded a bunch of games for my Storm and Bubble Army is the only one that has kept me coming back for more. I just downloaded Bubble Defense and am digging that too. I'll definitely buy the update for Bubble Army. Do you have any other games in the works?
    08-15-09 12:43 AM
    I just bought it yesterday and I love it.

I'm a police officer and I sat in the back row in court all morning playing campaign. Great app!
    08-18-09 08:58 PM
    So is this going to drop back to 2.99 on crackberry? Love the bubble games and already have both and would pay for the upgrade but 4.99 is a bit much if I already have it. And app world is terrible as I prefer crackberry. Keep up the great games

08-18-09 11:55 PM
    So I sucked it up and bought it while being really bored. But now I can't play the campaign mode any clue why? Ive now paid 8 bucks for this game and it appears broke!

08-23-09 10:47 AM
    You would have to reset the score. The campaign mode is over after you've won 300 battles (and you've probably done it in version 1.0).
    08-23-09 01:35 PM
    Yep. I figured it out earlier today by myself and came back to report that. Thanks for the reply though.

08-23-09 02:49 PM
    I havent try it yet is it any good.
    08-23-09 11:13 PM
    I'm pretty pissed the author is charging for the upgrade...

Will wait to see other reports as well, but doubt I'll upgrade as while I loved 1.0 the fun wore off quickly...
    Yeah, and i'm SOOOOOO pissed that Microsoft had the balls to charge me to go from Flight Sim 2004 to Flight Sim X......... The nerve........

And why isn't Windows 7 free? I mean, I already paid for Windows XP way back in 2001........

Come to think of it, they didn't send me a free copy of Guitar Hero 4 when it came out, even though I already bought Guitar Hero 3........

(See where this is going?)
    08-26-09 10:42 AM
    has anybody downloaded this recently?
    i wiped my phone and went back to app world to reinstall this bubble army 2...downloaded fine... but 'new game' and 'campaign' are not highlighted.. i can't select them...
    i can only select tutorial and exit...
    08-27-09 04:24 PM
    I tried to upgrade but App World has no record of my initial purchase. I'm not paying 5 bucks for the upgrade.

I had this same problem with RDM+. Here's the solution: Uninstall all the paid apps from your phone. Then uninstall App World. Make sure you reset your device (pull the battery). Reinstall App World and log in. You should be able to redownload your paid apps now.
    08-27-09 05:04 PM
    Wow a chrge for an upgrade oh boy.
    08-27-09 05:13 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD