This would probably be more appropriate in the 8900 forum, but I think this pertains highly to themes.

I see a lot of posts regarding the amount of icons or what sort of icons be placed on the home screen. I used to be a slave to icons, but not anymore!

If you don't know this, there are shortcuts to all the most used applications.

1) First, press the CALL button and get to your call log.
    2) Hit MENU scroll to >> OPTIONS >> GENERAL OPTIONS
    3) Scroll to >> Dial From Home Screen set to NO. (You can dial by hitting the CALL button and dialing)

Now from the home screen, you can access:

A or C = Address Book
    M = Messages
    L = Calendar
    N = BB Messenger
    K = Keyboard Lock
    B = Browser
    T = Task
    D = Memo
    V = Saved Messages
    U = Calculator
    O = Options
    F = Profiles
    S = Search

Advanced:
    There are even more shortcuts within Calendar options.
    1) Go to Calendar >> OPTIONS >> GENERAL OPTIONS
    2) Set Enable Quick Entry > NO

Now within the Calendar,
    M = Month
    A = Agenda
    D = Day

Unless you absolutely do a lot of dialing, I have found using shortcuts indispensable. I have been using shortcuts since I figured it out on the 8300. This frees up your side buttons to either media, SMS & MMS, application switcher etc. and your home screen icons can be filled with ALL 3rd party applications.
    Not to mention when your "friend" wants to see your phone, he or she won't be able to get to your messages or phone book to snoop around because he or she won't be able to find the icons! (Assuming you've hid them like I did).

It takes a bit to get used to, but trust me - once you have forced yourself to commit these shortcuts to memory you would not even remember how you ever managed to use a blackberry without them. This is the one reason why I love the QWERTY blackberry so much more than the suretype or any touchscreen phone out there. Just too efficient!

Alright, so it was late and I was bored. Again, not sure how useful this is to some people, but hopefully this will at least one person out. =P
    08-09-09 04:14 AM
    Very useful info!

W=tmo
    Y=yahoo messenger
    I=AIM
    P=call log

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 05:30 AM
    Definitely useful!! It kinda fun actually lol Thanks!!
    08-09-09 07:47 AM
    Definitely useful!! It kinda fun actually lol Thanks!!
    08-09-09 07:53 AM
    Thanks, I'm going to try this.
    08-09-09 08:15 AM
    Anyone that came from a older BB probably uses these...these were implemented in OS 4.2 I believe. I use them all the time and once you get the hang of them all it makes your phone a whole lot faster getting to things, the only shortcut that I wish it had was for sms but it doesn't.

Also if you have Berry Weather your (w) turns into Berry Weather
    08-09-09 09:19 AM
    I have seen this before and and reposted the tip a few times but it can never be repeated enough. Why RIM doesn't turn off dial from home screen by default I'll never know.
    08-09-09 09:37 AM
    Doesn't this render speed dialing useless?

08-09-09 10:55 AM
    Doesn't this render speed dialing useless?

Nope. Holding down the number will activate speed dial. Tapping the letter/number will give you the short cuts. It really is a sweet set up!
    08-09-09 11:09 AM
    if u download qsms app, u can press q and start typing a message
    08-09-09 02:27 PM
    I been using these shortcuts for years.. They are very helpful and eliminates the clutter of icons.

08-09-09 02:42 PM
    Thanks! I've been trying this out since I read it this morning. I took a screen shot of your post & refer to it whenever I need to

Takes some getting used to but I'm getting the hang of it - in a couple of days I'll be a pro
    08-09-09 02:53 PM
    if u download qsms app, u can press q and start typing a message
    Oh yea that is a definite MUST for anyone that uses sms a lot...well worth the app space
    08-09-09 03:42 PM
    Hey there OP...thanks for the info. Trying to arrange my icons will definitely be easier with these shortcuts. I will be committing them to memory as of today.

08-09-09 06:19 PM
    and I wish there was a shortcut to open sms messages, like "M" for messages. =)
    08-10-09 02:05 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I also think Rim should have dial from homescreen set to off as default. Silly!!
    08-10-09 03:47 PM
    can any 1 tell me plz what key is it to select sms plz
    08-10-09 04:21 PM
    can any 1 tell me plz what key is it to select sms plz
    Unfortunately there is no shortcut for sms & mms. I've assigned my left key for sms & mms.
    08-10-09 04:30 PM
    This is awesome but is there a way to change what the shortcut key does? For example, I wanna make O open my Opera Mini. Any way to do that?
    08-10-09 04:52 PM
    Nope...you can't change the shortcut keys
    08-10-09 08:27 PM
    This would probably be more appropriate in the 8900 forum, but I think this pertains highly to themes.

I see a lot of posts regarding the amount of icons or what sort of icons be placed on the home screen. I used to be a slave to icons, but not anymore!

If you don't know this, there are shortcuts to all the most used applications.

1) First, press the CALL button and get to your call log.
    2) Hit MENU scroll to >> OPTIONS >> GENERAL OPTIONS
    3) Scroll to >> Dial From Home Screen set to NO. (You can dial by hitting the CALL button and dialing)

Now from the home screen, you can access:

A or C = Address Book
    M = Messages
    L = Calendar
    N = BB Messenger
    K = Keyboard Lock
    B = Browser
    T = Task
    D = Memo
    V = Saved Messages
    U = Calculator
    O = Options
    F = Profiles
    S = Search

Advanced:
    There are even more shortcuts within Calendar options.
    1) Go to Calendar >> OPTIONS >> GENERAL OPTIONS
    2) Set Enable Quick Entry > NO

Now within the Calendar,
    M = Month
    A = Agenda
    D = Day

Unless you absolutely do a lot of dialing, I have found using shortcuts indispensable. I have been using shortcuts since I figured it out on the 8300. This frees up your side buttons to either media, SMS & MMS, application switcher etc. and your home screen icons can be filled with ALL 3rd party applications.
    Not to mention when your "friend" wants to see your phone, he or she won't be able to get to your messages or phone book to snoop around because he or she won't be able to find the icons! (Assuming you've hid them like I did).

It takes a bit to get used to, but trust me - once you have forced yourself to commit these shortcuts to memory you would not even remember how you ever managed to use a blackberry without them. This is the one reason why I love the QWERTY blackberry so much more than the suretype or any touchscreen phone out there. Just too efficient!

Alright, so it was late and I was bored. Again, not sure how useful this is to some people, but hopefully this will at least one person out. =P
    i feel like a new man
    08-10-09 09:02 PM
    I've been doing this for a while. Definitely easier and faster.

I use the Qsms app. I like having a shortcut for texting. I also use my left convenience key for opening sms and mms.

08-10-09 09:49 PM
    Great info. I"m going to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing
    08-11-09 12:09 AM
    This is really great info - I use quite a few of these myself...but I really LIKE to see the cool looking icons on my home screen, haha!

So, shameless bump to the top!
    08-12-09 02:13 PM
    This is really great info - I use quite a few of these myself...but I really LIKE to see the cool looking icons on my home screen, haha!

So, shameless bump to the top!
    I second that, the only draw back to using shortcuts is that you don't get to enjoy cool custom icons that developers worked so hard on. :/

08-12-09 07:12 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD