Just got off of the phone with Verizon Tech Support b/c of muffle issues/sound quality complaints I've received from calls. He asked me what problems did I have with previous phones and I told him mainly trackball issues. He said that they were fully aware of them and just about every phone that went out on launch day had the trackball issues, but that RIM told a software fix would shortly follow. He said that it would be in 30 days or less. He also said that just about every phone they have their at his location has a defective trackball.

He called a local VZW and spoke on my behalf about going to pick up a new one, and they are expecting me. But I told him my current phone has no trackball issues and I don't know I want to risk that. I also asked him if he knew if a fix for the muffle issues was on the way as well, but he said that they are not aware of any muffle issues at the moment.

So anyway, I didn't want to risk getting a defective trackball, so I did some more testing after that phone call by going to different locations in the house, going outside, etc.... Depending on where I was did make a difference. Enabling/Disabling enhanced audio quality didn't seem to make any different. I heard no difference. My wife and I could hear each other pretty well. My reason for calling was b/c I left myself voicemails while in my office. My wife later told me that my office usually gives her cordless (not wireless) phone issues as well. So, I'm pretty much chopping it up to location of the call and keeping my phone.

But I did at least want to let y'all know that a software update was around the corner.

This seems like the second time (BB Storm) VZW/RIM has released a phone with known issues. This isn't right.

Over and out.
    08-07-09 07:27 PM
    I am not going to hold my breath on this one. I too am having a slight trackball issue but I managed to set my Vertical to 70 and Horizontal to 90 and cleaned up my issue. Which was when I scrolled horizontally it jump lines up and down at interment times. It was really frustrating till I found the right combination of trackball settings.

But back to what I was saying here with the Software update, I wouldn't hold my breath. I would find it really hard to believe that VZW will be putting it out in 30 days or less. What did it take for the Storm, like 3 months?

My suggestion is that those of you who are having more serious problems with your Trackball than I was need to exchange it before you hit your 30 day mark. That way your hardware issue is resolved. I agree with you about the second time that VZW put out a known bad product. Seems like someone needs to get their QA into a tighter shot group.......
    08-07-09 09:01 PM
    <cut for length>I also asked him if he knew if a fix for the muffle issues was on the way as well, but he said that they are not aware of any muffle issues at the moment.<cut for length>
    That comment from the VZW tech confuses me, because when I called about my first Tour and the muffled sound issue, the VZW tech seemed to know all about it. She heard it (I called from my Tour) and suggested that I to the corporate store so I could exchange it quickly, which I did.

The salesperson and the tech at the store were even aware of it because when they asked why I was returning the phone, I referred to the muffled sound and they seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

I sure hope that someone at RIM knows about all of the issues.
    08-07-09 09:11 PM
    What I've read over the last few weeks - the trackball issue is NOT a software issue or certainly not solely a software issue but involves hardware in many cases. I certainly would not want to count of some os patch to fix the issue.

And it seems that they are still talking BS when it comes to the muffled voice issue - if they don't know about it then someone inside Verizon (or Rim) is calling the honchos using a Tour and their reports of muffled voices problems has been muffled by a bad Tour!!!

If the trackball is a software issue why are some folks reporting perfect trackballs? Why are some folks reporting no screen ripple? No loose battery door? And no muffled voice - because these things are physical defects the software will not touch but quality assembly or parts does fix.
    08-07-09 09:46 PM
    Kingzee I told you it was software days ago : )

Its even more obvious in long texts,emails and bbm's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 09:50 PM
    if it was out that soon it would be awesome..
    08-07-09 10:49 PM
    hmmm. thats why i dont complain when launch dates are pushed back. they are trying to fix all the issues and make it perfect. while people demand the phone gets released right away. of course it will have issues if it is rushed out. but i think verizon and RIM got it right this time.
    08-07-09 11:01 PM
    Sorry bud, but he told you that to get you off the phone. I talked with Verizon today when they called me to see how I was liking the service so far. When I told them about the trackball issue, they transferred me to a tech who said he had heard about it, but that there was no fix he knew of other than a new phone. He played with one that he had at his desk and said it had no problem.

Now, let's be clear, there may be a lagging issue that some of you are dealing with. But... my issue is not a lag. My Tour does not move the cursor because it is not recognizing the trackball movement. It's mechanical. Whether there is a roller under the ball or whatever. Software doesn't make my trackball make noise going L-R but not U-D. There is something hardware related to the trackball assembly that is not working well. That said, there may also be some lagging caused by the software, but thats not the big issue for most of the folks I've read about.

This tech told me to take it back and get a new one, no questions asked. He was willing to send me one, but I wanted to try it out at the store first. So that's my story.

b-
    08-07-09 11:08 PM
    Kingzee I told you it was software days ago : )

Its even more obvious in long texts,emails and bbm's.

You won't find me disagreeing with you at all bro! LOL! Will the software also correct any muffle issues?

Thanks CK!
    08-07-09 11:09 PM
    Sorry bud, but he told you that to get you off the phone. I talked with Verizon today when they called me to see how I was liking the service so far. When I told them about the trackball issue, they transferred me to a tech who said he had heard about it, but that there was no fix he knew of other than a new phone. He played with one that he had at his desk and said it had no problem.

Now, let's be clear, there may be a lagging issue that some of you are dealing with. But... my issue is not a lag. My Tour does not move the cursor because it is not recognizing the trackball movement. It's mechanical. Whether there is a roller under the ball or whatever. Software doesn't make my trackball make noise going L-R but not U-D. There is something hardware related to the trackball assembly that is not working well. That said, there may also be some lagging caused by the software, but thats not the big issue for most of the folks I've read about.

This tech told me to take it back and get a new one, no questions asked. He was willing to send me one, but I wanted to try it out at the store first. So that's my story.

b-
    He didn't tell me that to get me off of the phone. He was actually on the phone with me for more than 30 minutes to help me. He even put me on hold and spoke with a local VZW store to let them know I'd be coming to get a new phone. My reason for speaking with him was not trackball related at all, but only sound quality related.

Some people actually do tell the truth. We shouldn't always think the worse of each other. The man was very helpful and kind.

My phone has no trackball issues. Another thing this tech person said that was that pretty soon they won't be exchanging phones for trackball issues when the software fix comes out. He also said that currently no phones are in the stores with this fix. It's not out yet.
    Last edited by kingzee; 08-07-09 at 11:25 PM.
    08-07-09 11:23 PM
    I too am having a slight trackball issue but I managed to set my Vertical to 70 and Horizontal to 90 and cleaned up my issue.
    I have a Sprint Tour, about 3 weeks or so. The trackball has been "goofy" when scrolling horizontally since day one. I returned it to my usually spot-on corporate store, and they gave it back to me saying they could not duplicate the problem. I was planning on returning to Sprint Land today, and perhaps use a little temper, but got sidetracked. I applied the above fix, and it seems to work. Thanks.
    08-07-09 11:23 PM
    i did a handheld wipe on the device..
    (make sure you back it up first!!)
    turned on enhanced audio and treble boost and my mom said she noticed a night and day difference...she could barely hear me before and now it's crystal clear she says...
    08-07-09 11:38 PM
    70/90 is the "fix" for now. Good job kingzee....

08-07-09 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD