I use my Tour for business, but I don't like clients to know my cell number. I prefer that they funnel back through the office where a live voice can help them if need be, or they can just enter my extension and it forwards to my cell if I'm out of the office.

I usually just dial *67 and then the number to show my number as unavailable, but sometimes I think people send me to voice mail because they don't know who it is that is calling from a blocked number. In those instances where I've unblocked my number, I've regretted it forever because then the client saves my number and I get calls at a later date from a number I don't recognize and it doesn't funnel back through the office where my assistant can help folks if need be.

It would be really nice if there was a way for my display number to show my main business phone number when I wish, and then show my cell caller ID when I call people on a personal level.

Any ideas how to do this? I saw an app once, but it looked really shady. Seemed more of a prankster type program, and I think even had some hidden charges if I'm not mistaken.

Surely I'm not the only person in the world that would appreciate such functionality.
    08-07-09 04:36 PM
    If i am understanding you correctly, there is a possible solution. Sign up for Google Voice (Google Voice) it might take a couple of weeks for an invitation (but its worth it and free). You can get a local number I was able to get a number that was the same as my cell just jumbled up. You can place calls through GV where Google dials your cell first then connects you to the desired number, showing the caller id as your GV number. You can then setup your GV number to ring to your office, so when a customer calls you back it will go directly to the office. Thus hopefully functioning as you requested and at no charge.
    08-07-09 04:50 PM
    what cannuck said. google voice would be perfect for you
    08-07-09 05:05 PM
    Thanks, guys. I actually have a Google Voice account, but haven't really figured out how to use it yet. I'll try this and see how it works.
    08-07-09 05:15 PM
    Theres also the "Spoof App" lets you call from any number
    08-08-09 01:51 AM
    "Bluff My Call" also works well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 02:13 AM
    Thanks, but both the Spoof app and Bluff My Call have per minute charges.
    08-08-09 08:50 AM
    I use my Tour for business, but I don't like clients to know my cell number. I prefer that they funnel back through the office where a live voice can help them if need be, or they can just enter my extension and it forwards to my cell if I'm out of the office.

I usually just dial *67 and then the number to show my number as unavailable, but sometimes I think people send me to voice mail because they don't know who it is that is calling from a blocked number. In those instances where I've unblocked my number, I've regretted it forever because then the client saves my number and I get calls at a later date from a number I don't recognize and it doesn't funnel back through the office where my assistant can help folks if need be.

It would be really nice if there was a way for my display number to show my main business phone number when I wish, and then show my cell caller ID when I call people on a personal level.

Any ideas how to do this? I saw an app once, but it looked really shady. Seemed more of a prankster type program, and I think even had some hidden charges if I'm not mistaken.

Surely I'm not the only person in the world that would appreciate such functionality.
    hi there, im in a similar situation, but i did this 2 years ago. I spoke to sprint and there is a provision code that they can tie to your account where it every outbound call is "Private". Its free of charge and you may need to call a few times or speak to a Tier 2 or 3 to have it done. Not many reps have knowledge of it. I can talk to a friend @ sprint get that code if need be.

Down side, you have to set *82 in front of the #'s that you dont mind having your # show up on thier caller ID.

hope that helps....
    08-08-09 11:00 AM
    Thanks, guys. I actually have a Google Voice account, but haven't really figured out how to use it yet. I'll try this and see how it works.
    just type in your BB browser...

m.google.com/voice

Edit****

In your BB hit the Green key>BB Menu>Options>General Options> change Restrict my Identity to always, your phone will show as restricted.. Just keep in mind that some people ( like me) wont answer to restricted numbers.
    Last edited by LoloBond; 08-08-09 at 11:27 AM.
    08-08-09 11:19 AM
    if your caller id does not show up on calls in to you....it will count against your minutes...
    08-08-09 12:36 PM
    Guys, pressing *67 before the number I'm calling, already restricts my identity when I want to and then if I leave *67 off, it shows my identity. The problem is that when I call clients I don't want it to totally block my identity. I want it to show the number of my company and not my cell number. When I call someone on the personal side, I want it to show my cell number.

Sure seems like there should be an easier way to do this, such as a setting in the address book that controls how your identity is shown to that particular person when you call them from your BB. I guess it probably doesn't have this functionality, but it would sure be nice if they added it.
    08-08-09 12:44 PM
    Google voice is the best. DL the app and dial straight from the screen. It will spoof the call with the Google voice number for no extra charges unless it's international calls in which case I'm not exactly sure how they bill you.
    08-08-09 03:53 PM
    The problem is that when I call clients I don't want it to totally block my identity. I want it to show the number of my company and not my cell number.
    I have the same question. I am working from home today, but don't want my personal cell number to show, but don't want my ID blocked.

How can my outbound caller ID number be changed to my company number? I tried changing SIM card number, but when calling my wifes phone my normal caller ID showed.

thanks!
    05-04-10 06:44 AM
    I agree Google Voice will change your out going number .. and you can Block people
    05-04-10 07:58 AM
    +1 for Google Voice.

I own my own business and I actually set up my GV number so it will call my work line during the day. I also set it up to call my call when out of the office.

After business hours, I have GV set to go straight to voicemail, so no lines ring when I'm off work.
    05-04-10 08:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD