This question seems to get asked a lot. Here is a list of countries your BB 8830 will work in with "Unlimited Email Access" (provided you're on the Global Email Monthly Access Plans).

* $64.99 monthly access with a voice plan
    * $69.99 monthly access for data only

Voice plans available for single or multiple lines with varying monthly minutes and unlimited messaging options.

Afghanistan
    Albania
    Algeria
    Andorra
    Anguilla
    Aruba
    Australia
    Austria
    Azerbaijan
    Bahrain
    Barbados
    Belgium
    Bermuda
    Bonaire
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Brazil
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    China
    Croatia
    Curacao
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Egypt
    Estonia
    Fiji
    Finland
    France
    French Guiana
    Georgia
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Greece
    Grenada

Guadeloupe
    Guernsey
    Haiti
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Iceland
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Isle of Man
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Jersey
    Jordan
    Kazakhstan
    Kenya
    Kosovo
    Kuwait
    Latvia
    Liechtenstein
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Macau
    Malaysia
    Maldives Republic
    Malta
    Martinique
    Mexico
    Monaco
    Morocco
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Oman
    Pakistan
    Palestinian Authority
    Philippines
    Poland

Portugal
    Puerto Rico
    Qatar
    Romania
    Russia
    San Marino
    Saudi Arabia
    Serbia and Montenegro
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    South Africa
    Spain
    Sri Lanka
    St. John
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    St. Lucia
    St. Maarten
    St. Martin
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    Tanzania
    Thailand
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Ukraine
    United Arab Emirates
    United Kingdom-England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland
    Vatican City
    Venezuela
    Vietnam
    Virgin Islands, U.S.
    Western Sahara
    Zanzibar

For more information please click on GlobalEmail

Verizon Wireless Global Roaming Support 800-711-8300

Mods, thanks for making thread sticky.
    Last edited by SK1; 05-28-08 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Updated
    04-09-08 07:08 PM
    I was in Antigua 2 days ago and I was able to get email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-08 02:56 PM
    Wow this is a great list! Even though I don't have Verizon, my girlfriend does and it would be useful to her one day.
    04-13-08 01:25 PM
    Wow this is a great list! Even though I don't have Verizon, my girlfriend does and it would be useful to her one day.
    Thanks! I hope it helps her and others one day.
    04-14-08 03:15 PM
    Thats funny you posted this because I called VZW about a week ago because I'm going to turks and caicos on sunday and the girl told me to leave my phone at home!! because she said because its not a CDMA network and I would have all these extra charges..because it would be trying to connect out of network.. sorry I'm a little confused.. what do you guys think I should do?
    05-12-08 07:43 PM
    Thats funny you posted this because I called VZW about a week ago because I'm going to turks and caicos on sunday and the girl told me to leave my phone at home!! because she said because its not a CDMA network and I would have all these extra charges..because it would be trying to connect out of network.. sorry I'm a little confused.. what do you guys think I should do?
    The country is not listed in this thread (yet). Looking at the website it does say that it will work in Turks and Caicos Islands. Sign up for the plan. Get your SIM card from Verizon Wireless and try it out. You can always change your plan back when you return.
    05-13-08 01:38 PM
    So I went to Ecuador afew months back and was planning to use my 8830 down there with a SIM card from one of the local providers (only cost $5, so why not). Got off the plane, stopped by the MoviStar booth. The girl behind the counter gave me a SIM card, and... no joy. Kept getting "invalid SIM card" error. I was lit. I figured that if I buy a phone that says WORLD EDITION right on it, I would be able to use it anywhere in the world with no worries. Silly me, I forgot I have Verizon. So I call the wonderful people at VZW, and the guy tells me "Oh, you have to go to the Verizon store and buy a VZW SIM card." Well, that would have been great to know BEFORE I went to a foreign country. But nobody seemed to think that piece of information was important. Actually I think I asked the salesguy (silly me again) when I bought the phone, and he said "Oh yeah, you can use it overseas. No problems!" Well, you were wrong. Anyway, the guy on the phone said we could try unlocking it with a SIM card from the local service provider. No joy. So long story short, I was two weeks without my BB service. As you can imagine, I was going through withdrawal after the first 48 hours.

My first issue with this is that Verizon actually charges you to do something that the phone is built to do. And secondly (not as important) is how hard it is to get a SIM card in and out of the 8830.

Well, that's my 2c...
    05-20-08 09:39 AM
    So I went to Ecuador afew months back and was planning to use my 8830 down there with a SIM card from one of the local providers (only cost $5, so why not). Got off the plane, stopped by the MoviStar booth. The girl behind the counter gave me a SIM card, and... no joy. Kept getting "invalid SIM card" error. I was lit. I figured that if I buy a phone that says WORLD EDITION right on it, I would be able to use it anywhere in the world with no worries. Silly me, I forgot I have Verizon. So I call the wonderful people at VZW, and the guy tells me "Oh, you have to go to the Verizon store and buy a VZW SIM card." Well, that would have been great to know BEFORE I went to a foreign country. But nobody seemed to think that piece of information was important. Actually I think I asked the salesguy (silly me again) when I bought the phone, and he said "Oh yeah, you can use it overseas. No problems!" Well, you were wrong. Anyway, the guy on the phone said we could try unlocking it with a SIM card from the local service provider. No joy. So long story short, I was two weeks without my BB service. As you can imagine, I was going through withdrawal after the first 48 hours.

My first issue with this is that Verizon actually charges you to do something that the phone is built to do. And secondly (not as important) is how hard it is to get a SIM card in and out of the 8830.

Well, that's my 2c...
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Even if you have gotten your BB 8830 unlocked or a Verizon SIM it still would have not worked in Ecuador. The 8830 operates on GSM frequencies 900/1800. MoviStar operates on GSM frequency 850. The other carriers operate on 850 or 1900.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...ad-first-3308/
    Last edited by SK1; 05-20-08 at 10:09 AM.
    05-20-08 10:07 AM
    bummer... anyway thanks SK1
    05-20-08 10:13 AM
    So I went to Ecuador afew months back and was planning to use my 8830 down there with a SIM card from one of the local providers (only cost $5, so why not). Got off the plane, stopped by the MoviStar booth. The girl behind the counter gave me a SIM card, and... no joy. Kept getting "invalid SIM card" error.

...And secondly (not as important) is how hard it is to get a SIM card in and out of the 8830.

Well, that's my 2c...
    I just got back from Ecuador yesterday. Prior to my trip, I called VZW to get my 8830 unlocked and got a VZW SIM card. But like you, I bought a MoviStar SIM card ($.12/min vs. $2.49/min) when I got there. The saleslady didn't know how to use my phone so she used her phone to activate the card. I then put the activated card in my phone. That's when the weirdness began. Here are some highlights:

1. I could call out but I could not receive calls. When I called another phone, the caller ID number that popped up was not my number.

2. I could not received or send text messages. However, I was able to receive text messages sent to my USA number. How the...?

3. When I tried to call *001 for info, I got a "numero incorrecto" reply. Again, the *001 call worked when I put the SIM in another phone.

4. When I went to Manage Connections and set it to "GSM", I couldn't get a signal. But when I changed it to "Global", it worked.

So the only functionality was that I was able to make calls and receive texts sent to my USA number. I went to another MoviStar rep and he said that I needed to do some configuration and he could have a tech look at it. But I was leaving in a couple of days so I said nevermind. I guess I can't complain too much for a $5 investment in a developing country.

Oh yeah, I needed to use pliers to get my VZW SIM card out the first time. The slot is in an awkward position and fingernails/keys/tweezers were useless. However, since then the card goes in and out pretty easily with just your finger. Maybe it was just stuck the first time.

SK
    05-26-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD