According to this picture the 8530 is a replacement for the 8330: HTC Hero coming October 11th to Sprint?

My question is, how is it better? The 8520 is EDGE, so is the 8530 not 3G either? It may have WiFi, but won't it be losing other features of the Curve, or at least not gaining any, and not gaining any increase in network speed either?

Why wouldn't the 8930 (if there will be one) be considered the 8330's replacement? Although isn't the 8900 also EDGE only? Hopefully RIM would make the newer models 3G.
    08-06-09 11:17 AM
    8530 is not a replacment, it is basicly a curve with no flash and a trackpad. In my opinion it is a downgrade. The 8530 is a basic and very cheap phone designed to bring new BB users into the fold. hence the reason they are starting to sell 8520's at walmart
    08-06-09 11:24 AM
    I figure it more of a market symbol. Not everyone can afford the expensive phones, so why not make cheaper ones for those that would like to be in the BB fiesta! And apparently the Curve is the most selling PDA out there so yeah... curve for life! lol
    08-06-09 03:18 PM
    The dumbest thing RIM could do is to give up on the curve line of phones. they will be around for a long while. like clavs said, the most selling pda. numbers dont lie.
    08-06-09 03:56 PM
    The dumbest thing RIM could do is to give up on the curve line of phones. they will be around for a long while. like clavs said, the most selling pda. numbers dont lie.
    It's only a name. They may not want to stick with the name "Curve" forever but instead move on. A phone with better specs than a Curve is not worse than a Curve simply because it's not called a "Curve."
    08-06-09 03:58 PM
    The 85xx line has a far better processor and memory.That's pretty worthwhile imo.

CDMA phones don't really have the 3g/no3g scenario that GSM phones do.

Pretty sure it won't be EVDO rev A though.
    08-06-09 04:31 PM
    The 85xx line has a far better processor and memory.That's pretty worthwhile imo.

CDMA phones don't really have the 3g/no3g scenario that GSM phones do.

Pretty sure it won't be EVDO rev A though.
    Is the 8330 considered "3G" then? I know it's not revA, so does that mean it's closer to EDGE speed?
    08-06-09 04:52 PM
    Yeah the 8330 is 3G

rev A is a faster version of EVDO rev0, but rev0 is still 3g.

3g is kind of a deceptive term and doesn't really tell you a lot anyways. GSM phones have HSDPA and HSUPA on top of 3g for example. On top of that you can have HSDPA 3.6 vs HSDPA 7.2. But all of those are still 3G.

Any of the recent phones are going to be 3g on CDMA, just a matter of how fast the 3g is.
    08-06-09 04:58 PM
    Yeah the 8330 is 3G

rev A is a faster version of EVDO rev0, but rev0 is still 3g.

3g is kind of a deceptive term and doesn't really tell you a lot anyways. GSM phones have HSDPA and HSUPA on top of 3g for example. On top of that you can have HSDPA 3.6 vs HSDPA 7.2. But all of those are still 3G.

Any of the recent phones are going to be 3g on CDMA, just a matter of how fast the 3g is.
    Ah, thanks!
    08-06-09 05:29 PM
    EVDO isn't 3G since you can't do simultaneous voice and data. EVDO may reach 3G speeds like EDGE occasionally does but its not a true 3G network.
    08-06-09 11:52 PM
    EVDO isn't 3G since you can't do simultaneous voice and data. EVDO may reach 3G speeds like EDGE occasionally does but its not a true 3G network.
    3G does not necessarily mean it needs to do simultaneous voice and data. 3rd Generation - that's all it means.
    08-07-09 01:00 AM
    I don't think you're right. From my reading, "3G" only refers to a third generation of network technology and not to anything specific like GSM or CDMA. So EVDO is as much 3G as whatever GSM carriers are using right now. (And it seems to me that even something called "2G" doesn't necessarily imply that it's slower than 3G, since it could simply be designed to run as fast or faster (sort of like how you can't even compare Core 2 Duo processor speeds to Pentium chips).)

I also don't think simultaneous voice/data has anything to do with 3G itself. I think it has more to do with the underlying (i.e. specific) technologies.
    08-07-09 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD