Hello all,

I'm in a poor network area and I am unfortunately going to have to get an Airrave. I wanted fellow CB'ers to chime in on their experiences with the Airrave and maybe give me a little insight on the device.

I have a Blackberry Tour and use it all the time. Browsing, Data, Text, Talk, and if it could drive me to work I'd do use that too. So what's the overall opinion, criticisms on the Airrave and should I even bother with it at all.

(Moderators: sorry if this is a repeat post, I'm sure I'll be reprimanded but if that's what it takes to get my answer I'm cool with it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 06:56 PM
    its great, it requires a service fee of $5/month, or $10/month for unlimited calling over the airave

the only gripe about my airave is that its only 1X, wait for the 3G airave if u browse a lot
    08-04-09 07:00 PM
    its great, it requires a service fee of $5/month, or $10/month for unlimited calling over the airave

the only gripe about my airave is that its only 1X, wait for the 3G airave if u browse a lot
    I agree, mine works great for call quality, always have 5 bars now, but it doesn't help the data at all. But the data seems a lot better now with my Tour than it was with my Curve.
    And luckily, Sprint waived the initial $100, and the monthly fee. So I am happy with mine! Hope this helps.
    08-04-09 07:51 PM
    The AirRave is the best money I never spent. I had horrible signal before, and now I have all 5 Bars. It does not support Data. Sprint waived the Initial $100 and monthly fee.
    08-04-09 07:55 PM
    Thanks for the reviews!!! Now with the no-data support, will it switch back and forth when I use data and then switch to make a call? Or is there something I need to do manually to switch to the airrave?

I spoke with CS and they are waiving the $100 and the monthly fee as well.

Also, when is the 3G Airrave due out? Is there a set date or is the grapevine starting rumors again?

08-04-09 08:55 PM
    Due to me being an "asl" account, I had to pay for mine, and they credited my account $75 but I still have to oay $5 a month to use it. But it does everything its supposed to. Can't complain!

08-04-09 09:19 PM
    My Airave worked great with my sprint Katana phone. But not with the Tour. It will hop on and off the Airave all day long. (I have a bit of a signal in one part of my home).

I swear that everytime I make a call and get the 2 beeps to confirm Airave it is on 1XEV. My unit is less than a month old. Am I nuts?
    08-04-09 09:43 PM
    the 2 beeps as far as i know is letting u know u are calling over the airave, by hardware limitations, you should be connected only to 1X, but if ur phone can detect see an EVDO signal it will automatically choose it over the airave, so ur probably bouncing between, ur call starts off over the airave then the phone picks up EVDO
    08-04-09 10:50 PM
    mine swtiches from evdo to 1x frequently. If I'm not using the phone to make a call my phone shows full evdo signal, (although sometimes only 1 bar) but when I pick up a call or make a phone call it shows 1X full bars.

08-05-09 12:01 AM
    Oh and I love it haha.

08-05-09 12:01 AM
    I didn't think the phone could switch from the Airave to a tower when you were on a call.
    08-05-09 11:07 AM
    I read SMS is supposed to not be affected. Do you all know if the BB will still push emails no prob with the Airave or is that dead like the rest of the data?
    08-05-09 12:18 PM
    bb data still works over the airave, since the airave is only 1X ull be limited to slow speeds.

Sprint's 3G airave should come out in a month or two
    08-05-09 12:21 PM
    bb data still works over the airave, since the airave is only 1X ull be limited to slow speeds.

Sprint's 3G airave should come out in a month or two
    Wow, 3G airave. That sounds interesting. I'll have to check into that. Thanks.
    08-05-09 06:16 PM
    I didn't think the phone could switch from the Airave to a tower when you were on a call.
    It can switch from airave to tower. It can't do the other way around.
    08-05-09 07:30 PM
    Just received my Airave and using it with the Tour and no problems at all! Woo hooo!
    08-15-09 08:15 AM
    I have had an Airave for some time. Sprint claims 4 bars of coverage in my driveway (which I couldn't do wrapped in tin foil on a 200 foot tower) so I had to pay upfront and monthly. Boy did it fix my reception issues. Awesome. It doesn't do data, but then if you are at home and in range of the Airave, bust out your laptop. Why go bug eyed trying to watch the youtube in the phone? To me the data issue is not an issue to me.
    The Tour doesn't get along well with the Airave. The change in the ESN to the MEID? is not something the Airave likes. I did read one place that you should take out your default country code in the phone options but I can't find a link to post to that here right now. That change seems to have helped some but it is far from perfect.
    08-15-09 12:23 PM
    My airave was great but I just moved. It is not so great anymore. The only broadband internet available is line of sight wireless (not hughes net) I have a 1mb down by 512 kb up connection. my airave works but all calls sound like you are on a really low quality signal and cut in and out. Sprint says that is due to the inconsistance of my wireless connection and the Airave will simple not work without a wired connection (dsl or cable).
    08-15-09 12:49 PM
    I have a Airave. I love it works perfect with my Tour. I would recommend it
    08-15-09 07:44 PM
    My Airave worked great with my sprint Katana phone. But not with the Tour. It will hop on and off the Airave all day long. (I have a bit of a signal in one part of my home).

I swear that everytime I make a call and get the 2 beeps to confirm Airave it is on 1XEV. My unit is less than a month old. Am I nuts?
    Nope your not nuts mine did the same thing with my 8330m Thatss why I switched to At&T now I have great service evrywhere in town this is a really bad area for sprint service so I had to jump ship after 4 years of service. It sucks but I needed a phone that worked in and out of my house.
    08-16-09 11:29 AM
    the 2 beeps as far as i know is letting u know u are calling over the airave, by hardware limitations, you should be connected only to 1X, but if ur phone can detect see an EVDO signal it will automatically choose it over the airave, so ur probably bouncing between, ur call starts off over the airave then the phone picks up EVDO

their is no evdo in this area so I have no idea why I had the same problem
    08-16-09 11:33 AM
    Had my Airave work great with my Treo, and now BB Tour. Would have no service otherwise (live next to water, no other carrier has cell reception there). And, it is free (unit and service

My only issue is 1X data, but then I have wifi at home and an iPhone as my 2nd phone so that point is moot. Once a 3G airave comes out I will be all over it
    Last edited by dohturdima; 08-16-09 at 02:04 PM.
    08-16-09 02:01 PM
    I had one when i was with sprint but then again i didn't have a smartphone or a really really smartphone as it did the sprint navi really well for a normal phone . anyways it would often drop phone calls when i switched but it would hold some.. I tried to make an effort not to call someone when in the house and then drive away because of that..

I wouldn't even thing to use my wireless device when i had my computer right there to use.. so i never surfed it

anywas it's a great thing from sprint and if i still ahd it I would be using it but I went to the dark side..

and it sits here collecting dust right now I do have to selll it..
    08-17-09 10:31 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback guys and girls...

Thinking ill just wait for the 3G Airrave before I pull the trigger

08-18-09 02:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD