Ok, here is the issue. My wife's 8220 pearl flip phone keeps shutting off at random times. Also it occasionally works really slowly, and will do screwy things like delete her text messages and once the date changed to one month ahead of the actual date.

I have tried doing several things to fix the problem including checking for OS updates, reformatting the media memory card, removing the battery/sim card etc...

We also swapped batteries for the day to see if that would make a difference and it did not.

The phone is currently running 4.6.0.180 (platform 4.1.0.61). I've thought about wiping the phone and just re-installing the OS from factory settings. I've also thought about getting her a new sim card. We're swapping sim cards for the day to see if that make a difference. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks
    08-04-09 02:12 PM
    When you say turning off do you mean it shuts off as if a battery pull has been done?

If that is the case, I had the same issue. It's a hardware problem. Contact your provider and they should send you a new one if you are still under warranty which you should be as this phone hasn't been out for a year yet.
    08-04-09 02:49 PM
    I was afraid of that. Yeah, that is exactly what happens. Unfortunately I don't know if I still have a copy of the receipt . . . . .I guess I'll see what I can work out with T-Mobile.
    08-04-09 02:55 PM
    I did everything over the phone (I'm with Rogers), they had all my info in the system. You just need your box that the phone came in for serial numbers and stuff. They mailed me my new phone with packaging to return the defective one. I hope things work out for you.
    08-04-09 02:59 PM
    Same problem here with Tmobile's version .180. I downloaded version .276 from this site and fixed the problem. Now when it shuts off it comes back on!
    08-04-09 08:51 PM
    Hey, newb here.

I've downloaded .278(deleted the fave 5 and vendor files), done a memory wipe, changed batteries, and removing the memory card.
    Still doesn't work.

So now I'm thinking of sending it back, but I have some questions...

1. I read somewhere that every 8220 is basically defective right out of the box, and this will happen no matter what.
    Is this true, and if so are there any preventative measures that I can take?

2. If my new 8220 is also defective, can I also send it back? Or am I stuck with it?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 03:17 AM
    Hey, newb here.

I've downloaded .278(deleted the fave 5 and vendor files), done a memory wipe, changed batteries, and removing the memory card.
    Still doesn't work.

So now I'm thinking of sending it back, but I have some questions...

1. I read somewhere that every 8220 is basically defective right out of the box, and this will happen no matter what.
    Is this true, and if so are there any preventative measures that I can take?

2. If my new 8220 is also defective, can I also send it back? Or am I stuck with it?

Thanks

1. That is not true, I have had my unlocked 8220 running .180 for almost 2 months and had no problems with it, maybe in the future it may happen.
    2. If you got it from your Network Provider, they are supposed to change it if it is unfixable.

08-09-09 09:16 AM
    1. That is not true, I have had my unlocked 8220 running .180 for almost 2 months and had no problems with it, maybe in the future it may happen.
    2. If you got it from your Network Provider, they are supposed to change it if it is unfixable.

Okay, thanks... I actually had my Flip for about 4 months before it started acting strange.
    I'm probably going to send it back.

08-09-09 03:19 PM
    My phone is doing the same thing. Worked great for one month, then started turning self off when trying to do anything. Also won't go into anything it just takes me back to the main screen. Took it back to the wireless provider I bought it from and they were clueless. Said i would have to contact Blackberry and send it to them... Is this correct or should they be responsible since they are the ones who sold it to me?
    08-12-09 08:13 PM
    same is things is happening to mine right now!!!. its so frustrating. i just got upgraded from a pearl to a bb curve 8320 hey is this happening??? i tried everything. the thing is i bougfht the phone off a friend so i dont think i can send it back to the store or if she has a gurantee. ...
    08-13-09 12:16 PM
    i experience the same thing. and at random times i also get a sim card error when the phone is just sitting (not moved) wtf..? anyone else get this?
    08-13-09 06:49 PM
    i experience the same thing. and at random times i also get a sim card error when the phone is just sitting (not moved) wtf..? anyone else get this?
    I've been getting sim card error for about two months now. For some random reason it says sim card error like once a week. I've lost the back of my phone because I had to keep taking it off, pulling out the battery, taking out the sim card, and re-inserting it. The cover became weakened and fell off somewhere.
    08-13-09 09:37 PM
    I am worry still since i just got my replacement flip from a 2 week old first one. It was a nightmare to put back to personnal settings that were in the first one. It was easier to switch from a stupid NOKIA to my BlackBerry than it was to swap from one to another !!!! How long do we have to turn it back ?
    12-14-09 03:07 PM
    I've had the 8220 since 2008 and there have been so many problems with it. I'm on my 2nd replacement and I still have the same issues--randomly turning off and having to pop out the battery, the camera doesn't work at all--if I accidentally hit the camera button the phone freezes. T-Mobile doesn't even sell the flip phone anymore and I'm pretty sure it's because the product is defective. They are not willing to negotiate with me and give me a new phone even though I've been a customer with them a long time.
    01-07-10 01:30 PM
    I've had the 8220 since 2008 and there have been so many problems with it. I'm on my 2nd replacement and I still have the same issues--randomly turning off and having to pop out the battery, the camera doesn't work at all--if I accidentally hit the camera button the phone freezes. T-Mobile doesn't even sell the flip phone anymore and I'm pretty sure it's because the product is defective. They are not willing to negotiate with me and give me a new phone even though I've been a customer with them a long time.
    Hi Blue and all others having these issues.....

No where do you mention what Operating System you are running. If it's the original OS from TMo, then I would highly recommend that you upgrade your OS to .305 or even .278. You will find a ton of tutorials in these forums and elsewhere explaining how to do so.

The 8220, although not a very popular BB, is not a defective device at all. The first thing I did last May when I got my 8220 was update the OS. I have yet to have one single random reboot or freeze up since.

These devices as with all smartphone devices have OS's that can and should be updated. Just because lazy T-Mo is still officially only supporting .180 you should upgrade your OS to something newer.

You will find the latest OS stickied at the top of this forum.

Also, there are several free apps that simulate a battery pull to reboot the device. You don't need to keep physically removing the battery to do a reboot. The app I use is Quickpull....I have not had to do a physical battery pull since....

Upgrade your OS guys and gals....

Cheers,

Hogg
    01-07-10 03:21 PM
    Where is the website to upgrade to the latest Blackberry OS?
    01-17-10 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD