Hi, i have read the 3rd party theme thread and followed the instructions (switch to stock theme, do battery pull) but it has not worked, i am still receiving this uncaught exception message. I did have a 3rd party plazmic today theme installed, but have deleted it in hopes that it would correct the problem. i tried to send myself an email and sms message but they did not go through. I do not have unread messages as far as i know (no asterisk). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-03-09 09:08 PM
    First, to fix the email issue... if you are not getting emails you need to log into T-Mobile's website and resend your service books... log in to https://my.t-mobile.com/... be sure your device is showing up when you select your phone number... if not click on something like change your device, or select your device... then hover over "Connect and Share" then click on "Configure e-mail"... this will take you to T-Mobile's BIS server... click on "Service Books" on the left side, then click on the button that says "Send Service Books"... you should get one email message for every email address you have.

It sounds like you have a corrupt file or two in your OS... it does happen... are you ready to reload your OS???? I think that is what you should do. You only have 3 postings... that worries me. You need to backup your personal information... use Desktop Manager's Backup program... then you can use how-back-up-3rd-party-applications to backup all your applications.

Then you need to follow one of the upgrade OS procedures... either the one in my signature below, or blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

Read these over before you begin anything.
    08-04-09 06:22 AM
    I'm getting this too whenever I try to adjust the time and date in my newly purchased bb8520, don't know what to do...
    09-09-09 03:31 PM
    I'm getting this too whenever I try to adjust the time and date in my newly purchased bb8520, don't know what to do...
    Can you read and follow the instructions in Post #2???????
    09-09-09 03:39 PM
    3 >= 3? lol

That's almost as good as:

while ( 42 )

09-09-09 03:41 PM
    There's another thread on this that i've posted to. I have had this issue for about three months now and this is my 2nd 8900 and they offered me a 3rd. I said I would only take the new Bold 9700 but it's not available yet on T-Mob.

I have done (too many) backups, restores, wipes, relaods, etc to count. Nothing worked! They changed my EMIE on their database, did pushes, I click the lost my my faves link, requested refresh max number of times daily and still nothing.

It is now working (for how long?) for the moment. I will see if it lastes more then a day or two...

The only solution:
    I used a another PC running XP. I downloaded a new copy of the OS and replaced what was on the PC that was saved. I reupdated the BB mgr to 5.0. Now when I connected the BB it said it had to check the phone. It did so, then it said since it's the 1st time connected to a newly installed BB mgr it would have to to a backup, OS restore and a data restore. Oh forgot to mention I had to choose 3 new my fav contacts previously as they were on a never ending updating cycle that would not update. I beleive those contacts got corrupted somehow. ok now ...wala, my 5 fav's are back. Now all I have to do is reinstall all my apps that got archived. If that does not kill the 5 faves then either I will demand a new 9700 or switch to a non 5 fav plan!
    09-09-09 06:15 PM
    3 >= 3? lol

That's almost as good as:

while ( 42 )

Always my personal favorite:

If ($x = 1)
    09-09-09 06:33 PM
    Always my personal favorite:

If ($x = 1)
    Woah, I think we just broke the geek barrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 01:38 AM
    No doubt!
    09-10-09 01:41 AM
    I have recently started getting an error message that says "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException" I see your instructions on the Uncaught exceptions regarding emails. But I can get my emails just fine. My call log has stopped. It will only records missed calls and not all calls like it used to be. Should I follow the same instructions that you have listed as before? Thx!
    Last edited by purposedriven; 09-10-09 at 09:53 AM.
    09-10-09 09:35 AM
    I was recently getting the index error and found the problem was in my call log. I could not delete the bad entry and new calls were not being logged.

I resolved the problem by restoring my call log from backup. I could then clear it and and new calls started getting logged again.
    09-10-09 09:51 AM
    If ( ptr == NULL )
    throw NullPointerException;

Means there was an error introduced into the database somewhere, a restore of that section was the right thing to do.

And yes, I'm aware that's C++ syntax and not Java. I don't know Java.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 10:17 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your help. With this error from my call log, I couldn't even do a successful backup. In order to complete one, I had to remove the Phone log from the back up, wipe and restore. I'm back in business now. Thanks again. This site is the best.!
    09-11-09 06:38 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your help. With this error from my call log, I couldn't even do a successful backup. In order to complete one, I had to remove the Phone log from the back up, wipe and restore. I'm back in business now. Thanks again. This site is the best.!
    You could have just cleared that one database... it would have saved you a lot of time and effort... I think it's under Backup > Advanced... then just select the one database and click the Clear button.
    09-11-09 06:41 AM
    this problems is denying me of having access to any thing in my fone. i have remove the battery and re-insert but still same. after showing this error it re start booting by iself again. im using any application just to make call and receive with it. When it loads sms enters but i cant do any tin. Pls what can i do? Thaank u all. My BB is 8900
    07-16-14 11:56 AM
    Wipe your device after backing it up, test if the issue reoccurs.

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If it won't boot up cleanly, then you may need to try Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the "alt" key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info. Alternative methods for bringing up the logs are in this KB:

• KB05349How to enable, access, and extract the event logs on a BlackBerry smartphone

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app. Still another method is to reload the BB OS cleanly, leaving some time between adding other apps onto the BB so as to be able to determine exactly which one is the cause.
    07-16-14 07:26 PM
    thats a lot of great info. thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-18-14 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD