Well, I am in the market for a new provider. I was nearly sold on Telus until I heard they block GPS, MMS and streaming websites (why you would do this on a smartphone is beyond me).

Does Bell block any of these services? I live in an area where Rogers coverage is questionable (NL) so I have to choose Bell or Telus....
    08-03-09 06:25 AM
    GPS doesnt work on Google maps. It uses towers to find you, so its always off. MMS works on my Storm.
    08-03-09 07:02 AM
    Same thing with me. GPS/google maps on my pearl works, but on my Storm it doesn't. Other than that everything works pretty damn well! (Once you play with the OS that is..)
    08-04-09 10:44 PM
    No, they do not block any services.
    Other then phones being locked to the network.
    08-12-09 01:13 AM
    bell is pretty decent with services as far as device browsing goes. seems fast enough to keep up with what ever im doing. i was even listening to the crackberry.com podcast on viigo while browsing, or checking out social scope. so it can clearly handle heavier use. my only gripe is blocking gps on third party applications. but it only seems like its google maps that has the problem... not 100% on that though so I won't say for sure. but honestly BB maps works GREAT for me. never less than 7 sats locked in at once. usually around 11 or 12.
    08-12-09 01:24 AM
    I went into the bell store the other day and told them about the rumours about them blocking services and the rep looked at me like I was crazy, double checked with the other reps, and came back and told me they don't restrict anything.
    08-19-09 02:23 PM
    GPS on my 8330 works like a charm with Google Maps. Not just the cell tower gps, the real, accurate to within 5m GPS. I switched from Telus this winter and have been very happy, plus i pay $50/month less and get more services,, awesome.
    08-21-09 04:50 AM
    i have no problems with google maps and gps on my 8130
    08-23-09 10:05 PM
    Ya we don't block any service and we allow mms to go through

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 10:38 PM
    At one point there were rumors/discussion that Bell was going to block all 3rd party GPS access but in the end either the rumors were all just false or they decided not to go ahead with it. Here's a reeeaaaally long thread about it HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Bell Will Be El Mess-o With the Free GPS-o

Be careful with what the customer service reps tell you they usually get it wrong. Some will tell you, you can only get GPS access if you pay for the Bell GPS NAV at $10/month, some will straight up say no problem it's free to use GPS with google/BB maps, and some will first tell you it's not free then if you push them on it they will admit it's only the GPS NAV program that you pay for while the other stuff is free. I just got my BB from Bell a few weeks ago and spent a lot of really frustrating time dealing with the clueless reps both in Bell stores and on the phone."
    Last edited by biznatch; 08-25-09 at 02:39 PM.
    08-25-09 02:17 PM
    I used a Curve previous to my Tour
    Google maps worked perfectly with my GPS
    Now for my Tour no gps with google maps
    frustrating
    09-01-09 10:42 PM
    so i was thinking of getting a storm 2. so will any gps apps be blocked cuz i never owned a bb before could someone tell me please.
    09-13-09 12:35 AM
    The Gps shouldnt be blocked on the tour Jassal

to dhotston, does the start gps navigation even appear ? or its just not there as it should work because we have it on our demo tour and it works properly. Maybe uninstall and reinstall the maps?
    09-13-09 06:17 PM
    I asked about the storm 2 not the tour and i dont know what apps will be blocked could some one please tell me
    09-13-09 10:01 PM
    Bell doesn't typically block access. However, some services may be above and beyound your data plan, like MMS and GPS. Check the fine print on your contract.
    09-17-09 01:55 PM
    What is mms
    09-17-09 07:25 PM
    Mms works for bell just doesn't get sent through data goes through texts .. Gps works both ways one that comes with and ones you can get for free...

Mms means multimedia message service

09-18-09 09:45 AM
    Sorry hit enter by accident can't edit..
    Mms is for sending pictures attachments like long notes etc to another phone

09-18-09 09:46 AM
    thank for the info
    09-18-09 11:54 PM
    Hi all,
    Been a member for a little while but have not really posted.
    I am on bell and I use Garmin Mobile for Blackberry and its FANTASTIC!
    Well worth the money and I haven't had a problem yet

09-22-09 05:03 PM
    Hi all,
    Been a member for a little while but have not really posted.
    I am on bell and I use Garmin Mobile for Blackberry and its FANTASTIC!
    Well worth the money and I haven't had a problem yet

very good choice and thanks for the info on another gps program working
    09-22-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD