I was texting a friend of mine today and looked up at the top and it said 160 1/6. So I'm guessing now we can send longer messages. But this came out of nowhere or maybe I never noticed it. I've been on .151 for a while and never noticed this......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 02:52 PM
    no you cant, that only appears when in GSM mode, but while on the VZW network you cant use that mode so it wont actually send
    08-01-09 02:54 PM
    Oh. My hopes were up so high! Stupid network....thanks for the clarification.

08-01-09 03:00 PM
    were you using gsm when that happened? Yeah i was trying to fiddle with that one day so i popped my friends sim card in and wrote a 3 page SMS then saved it as a draft. After that i went and turned on my CDMA signal and tried to send it, but it still only sent as 160 :/ seems hopeless. Except for that app Beyond160. check it out if you like
    08-01-09 03:10 PM
    Didn't like it. I'm stuck with typing saving the draft and making a new one. Oh well. I don't send too many long texts so its all good. Just seeing the 160 1/6 boggled my mind.

08-01-09 03:22 PM
    I've noticed if you're messaging someone on the Verizon Network, it'll let you send more then 160 character. Six pages worth of 160 characters actually.

Well, at least with my Voyager it let me. I haven't tried it with the Storm yet.
    08-01-09 04:33 PM
    I've noticed if you're messaging someone on the Verizon Network, it'll let you send more then 160 character. Six pages worth of 160 characters actually.

Well, at least with my Voyager it let me. I haven't tried it with the Storm yet.
    Common knowledge around here that it won't work on a BlackBerry device. Your Voyager was not a BlackBerry.
    08-01-09 04:41 PM
    Common knowledge around here that it won't work on a BlackBerry device. Your Voyager was not a BlackBerry.
    Well, now I know. And it isn't common knowledge to me, as I just joined. Now I know though.
    08-01-09 05:07 PM
    Just send an MMS...1000 characters
    08-01-09 05:52 PM
    see i hate when everybody says this because nobody thinks about the person RECEIVING the message... they don't want to wait 10-15 seconds to receive a text message. with regular phones you have the whole progress bar screen and stuff so if you use that alot its sure to **** people off.

yeah its an alternate method, but its just ridiculous to have to do that...
    08-01-09 05:58 PM
    I thought it sends the words over 160 as a 2nd separate text message automatically?
    08-01-09 07:05 PM
    I thought it sends the words over 160 as a 2nd separate text message automatically?
    No it does not but that is how it should work!
    08-01-09 10:59 PM
    Just send an mms message you can type all day. If the people your texting can't get mms messages then you don't need to talk to them
    I for one am glad you can't go over 160 if you can't wrap up what your trying to say in 160 then CALL me. I don't want no dam 6 page text.
    08-01-09 11:56 PM

see i hate when everybody says this because nobody thinks about the person RECEIVING the message... they don't want to wait 10-15 seconds to receive a text message. with regular phones you have the whole progress bar screen and stuff so if you use that alot its sure to **** people off.

Really? Having to wait 10-15 more seconds is that big of a deal?!?

If you're taking the time to write a novel, I don't see why waiting a few extra seconds to have it delivered is that big of a deal. Plus, I find when I send a "text-only" MMS it gets delivered at about the same speed.
    08-04-09 01:37 PM
    No it does not but that is how it should work!
    Are you sure? I'll have to check.
    I know that when I get a message from my sister that is longer, it comes in as 2 messages, but when I open the message, it shows it as a single message.
    08-04-09 02:54 PM

What makes you think you're not waiting longer than that in some cases when receiving SMS messages?
    08-04-09 03:05 PM
    I use Beyond 160 - which is an application that simulates a message with more than 160 characters. It actually splits your message into multiple SMS messages and sends them with '1/4', '2/4', 3/4' and so on.

It DOES NOT make a single SMS message have more than 160 characters - so in the above example, you would actually be sending (and billed for if applicable) 4 separate messages.

(I also use Empower SMS Viewer which (IMO) makes the message strings easier to read).
    08-04-09 04:10 PM
    MMS ftw!

08-04-09 04:15 PM
    so what about those of us that are charged $.50 per MMS message, we are just out of luck?

E-Mail: not everyone gets e-mail on their phone
    MMS: MMS's cost money, on regular phones can be a pain to receive.
    SMS: Everyone I know has an SMS plan, I don't send extremely long text's all the time, but 200-300 characters isn't uncommon, as it can be tough to cram everything into 160 characters.

People have told me everything from send an e-mail to mms to telling me that I should learn to pick up the phone and actually talk to people (even when its not practical, say right now when I am roaming and a phone call costs money, and I get free SMS).

No reason why I shouldn't be able to do this when my Palm Treo 755p on Verizon is able to do this, but not my new Storm. Hopefully it shows up in OS5.0, cause its a basic feature that should be there.
    08-04-09 07:27 PM
    the only way for that to work is to get the 160+ app
    08-04-09 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD