Okay I've read some posts of people commenting that you can leave your tour charging overnight without damaging the battery... is that true[ is there any evidence because its great if its true, but i also don't wanna damage my battery if its not
    07-30-09 09:38 PM
    I think all home chargers have been "smart" chargers for quite some time now. When it reaches max charge, it stops. So yes, you can charge it overnight without damaging the battery.
    07-30-09 09:41 PM
    once the battery reaches it maximum capacitance, it will no longer store current therefore you cannot overcharge the battery.
    07-30-09 10:00 PM
    I can't remember ever having a cell phone that I could overcharge. That is going back to the old bag phones... God I am getting old. Even those phones had the technology in them. Today's phones now have temperature sensors for the batteries so that they don't charge if the battery is too hot as well.
    07-30-09 10:02 PM
    oh wow i feel like an ***** i only asked because i had issues with other phones in the past dealing with the battery and verizon always told me that i had to make sure not to overcharge the battery
    07-30-09 10:06 PM
    oh wow i feel like an ***** i only asked because i had issues with other phones in the past dealing with the battery and verizon always told me that i had to make sure not to overcharge the battery
    Nah Verizon is the ones that should feel like idiots for telling you something like that. I mean it is a possibility that the circuitry could fail and allow the battery to overcharge but then you would have bigger issues than the battery being overcharged.(end result would be either smoke or a fire in this instance)
    07-30-09 10:11 PM
    Nah Verizon is the ones that should feel like idiots for telling you something like that. I mean it is a possibility that the circuitry could fail and allow the battery to overcharge but then you would have bigger issues than the battery being overcharged.(end result would be either smoke or a fire in this instance)
    thanks so much for your help
    07-30-09 10:19 PM
    Home chargers have been this way for a while. Just dont do this with a car charger though
    07-30-09 10:31 PM
    The problem is that there are a LOT of misconceptions about batteries, and the techs at the Verizon stores are probably just repeating them. It also applies to things like "conditioning" your battery and making sure you let it drain all the way before you recharge it. That doesn't apply for Li-Ion batteries, yet those myths still remain. People who say "Well after I conditioned my battery mine lasts a lot longer!" really aren't changing the way they use they're battery - they're just using the phone less and less and don't realize it. It's the same way with all new phones.
    Last edited by slinky317; 07-31-09 at 09:13 AM.
    07-31-09 09:04 AM
    Sense we are on the topic of Li-Ion batteries, I have always heard you do not have to condition them and they don't keep a memory and so forth. Well, in reference to Laptop batteries, I just replaced a Li-Ion laptop battery out of my dell that wouldn't last more than 20 mins? How do we explain this.....?
    07-31-09 09:07 AM
    Sense we are on the topic of Li-Ion batteries, I have always heard you do not have to condition them and they don't keep a memory and so forth. Well, in reference to Laptop batteries, I just replaced a Li-Ion laptop battery out of my dell that wouldn't last more than 20 mins? How do we explain this.....?
    Cells do go bad over time and will stop holding a charge. No matter what type of battery it is.
    07-31-09 09:09 AM
    Is this really the case? I've always been told by Verizon NEVER to leave a phone charging overnight, let it die before you recharge for the first few times.
    07-31-09 09:19 AM
    Is this really the case? I've always been told by Verizon NEVER to leave a phone charging overnight, let it die before you recharge for the first few times.
    Myth. Charge your phone overnight, you'll be fine. They wouldn't have made it so you could automatically put it in "Bedside mode" while charging if it would have been bad for the phone.
    07-31-09 09:24 AM
    Yes, it's the case. If you don't believe it, search google and read the hundreds of thousands of papers about Li-Ion batteries and how they work.

Put shortly, if you discharge a Li-Ion battery far enough, you will not be able to charge it with a normal charger. You will kill the cells and they will need a "kick start" to start functioning properly, if they will still work all.

And it is fine to leave it plugged in.
    Last edited by danoh; 07-31-09 at 09:28 AM.
    07-31-09 09:25 AM
    What's the difference between "bedside mode" and standby or turning it off until your alarm goes off?
    07-31-09 09:26 AM
    Li-on batteries loose %20 of their capacity per year of life. but you are correct, they do not have a memory in the sense that you can charge them at any time, without letting them die all the way first
    07-31-09 09:45 AM
    I'm having terrible battery life on the tour. I got my battery replaced and its still dying way too quickly. I was told that the life would get better after a few charges. Is this another myth?

I only have the regular 5 apps + aim running. Moderate usage. And I'm still down to 70% within the first 3 hours of being off the charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 10:33 AM
    That's probably AIM killing your battery, as it is always running. Trying turning AIM off for a while, you should get better performance.
    07-31-09 11:05 AM
    I always plug my phone in overnight and leave it all night. Had a Pearl for 2 years and never noticed any fluctuation in how long the battery would last unless I happened to have 2 hour conversation or something that would tax the battery.
    07-31-09 12:17 PM
    IIRC,If you look at the battery life meter while it is plugged in, once you get to 100% battery life, you lose the bolt that says you are charging even though it is still plugged in. Can someone confirm this also?

07-31-09 12:24 PM
    IIRC,If you look at the battery life meter while it is plugged in, once you get to 100% battery life, you lose the bolt that says you are charging even though it is still plugged in. Can someone confirm this also?

Yes, this is true.
    07-31-09 12:30 PM
    I'm a new Blackberry user (loving my Tour!) and about the only thing I didn't like was that it took longer to charge the battery. I'm used to plugging my phone in when I get up in the morning and when I leave for the day, having it fully charged. My Tour takes longer than that, which is frustrating.

I was afraid to plug it in overnight because of a fear of overcharging or damaging the battery. Now I can feel comfortable!

Thanks!

MJ
    08-25-09 09:02 AM
    all phones charge like this now.
    08-25-09 09:59 AM
    I have had my Tour since launch day. it seems to charge faster the longer you have it!
    08-25-09 11:02 AM
    If either your device, or your charger is hot in the morning...then it's your outlet.
    08-25-09 11:31 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD