I know this sounds weird, but my husband and I are wondering if there is any software that would allow the person at home to log onto a website and see where the other person is located. For example, one of us is driving home, stuck in traffic and the other is worried. The person at home could go to some website, enter a password (ideally created by the owner of the BB being tracked) and see the other person on a map etc. Sounds a little Big Brotherish, but could really come in handy in traffic, business meetings that can't be interrupted by a phone call etc.
    07-30-09 02:29 PM
    Check out Google Latitude. Or the leaked BBM 5.0 has an option to show location I believe.

Testing the BBM 5 location sharing right now.
    Last edited by RickyRoss10; 07-30-09 at 03:05 PM.
    07-30-09 02:53 PM
    Google Latitude works well.
    07-30-09 03:04 PM
    Latitude is the way to go!

I wanna test out BBM5 location sharing... Who wants to help me?
    07-30-09 03:39 PM
    Latitude is the way to go!

I wanna test out BBM5 location sharing... Who wants to help me?
    I will.
    305A61C7
    07-30-09 03:45 PM
    Another vote for Google Latitude!

But on a side note, I'd like to say, and I'm not saying it's your case OP;
    It's good if it's used the right way, like if my friends wanna know if I'm on my way to their party or jammed in traffic unable to pick-up, or if I'm close to the restaurant we're having lunch at.
    But, if it's a trust couple issue, like my boyfriend wanna know where I am and what I'm doing?
    Bad! Very very bad..
    So, I think people should be careful with the GPS tracking apps like that!
    07-30-09 03:52 PM
    Gps tracker by instamapper is an excellent program also records where you've been. Latitude is good too download both and see what you like

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 03:56 PM
    Latitude is nice, but you can also try InstaMapper. It's also free and has more configurable timers. I use both; Latitude to figure out when my wife's on the road so I can start dinner and InstaMapper as a poor man's lost phone locator.
    07-30-09 03:59 PM
    I really like Google Latitude as well. I haven't had any luck with BBM5's location sharing...oh well!
    07-30-09 03:59 PM
    Don't put to much value into the results you get though. Because these tracking apps give the end user the choice to provide actual GPS location or they have the ability to enter in any locaiton manually... such that, I tell the wife I'm at the office, put in the office location and then trot off nudie bar and she thinks i'm at the office. .... hmmmm.. good idea.
    07-30-09 04:12 PM
    I have a question about tracking someone with a Blackberry using GPS. I have a friend that is scared to turn on the GPS or even use it thinking anyone could track her. What is needed to track someones Blackberry? Can it just be done knowing their PIN or only thier phone number or is she just over cautious?
    07-31-09 12:23 PM
    Moostrax maybe? I believe it can provide a link you can follow to see where someone is..Very small foot print and always runs in the background..Id check it out. I let it run all the time to log where I am myself etc...
    07-31-09 01:03 PM
    What is needed to track someones Blackberry?
    That depends on the software you're talking about. First, anyone can track her whether she's got GPS enabled or not if they've got a court order. Latitude is nice in that you need to send an invite and you can specify giving the exact location (GPS or cell tower based) or just the city/state information. InstaMapper you need to allow them to set you up on their account before they can see you. I don't know about BBM5 since I don't use it but I'm sure it's similar (you have to enable a contact to be able to see your position before they can, for example). That said, until BBM5 is actually released it's beta code which means that there's a greater chance of a bug that allows everyone access to your position, but that may be why some have reported issues (I have no idea if anyone has it working or if the feature is mostly disabled as of now).
    07-31-09 01:15 PM
    Unfortunately Lattitude won't work on my wife's 8330m until they fix the GPS issue (just get cell-tower triangulation since3.02 doesn't see the internal GPS). Instamapper looks interesting.

There is also a security app (can't remember the name) that helps you find your lost BB, and has a feature to show you were your spouse's BB is.
    07-31-09 03:53 PM
    there are programs if you want to get real specific. vznav has a program designed to follow your kids called chaporone or something like that.
    07-31-09 03:57 PM
    my boyfriend uses bb maps, and there is an option to send someone a link for them to click and look at where he is.
    07-31-09 03:59 PM
    There is also a security app (can't remember the name) that helps you find your lost BB, and has a feature to show you were your spouse's BB is.
    There are a few, I think the most recent newsmaker was SmrtGuard. These are useful for a variety of reasons, but all of the ones I've found are subscription services (hence the poor man's version being InstMapper ).
    07-31-09 04:36 PM
    I thinks its creepy you want to follow them on the comp. If theyre stuck in traffic, they can just call you.

You don't need to GPS stalk them.
    07-31-09 11:17 PM
    I know this sounds weird, but my husband and I are wondering if there is any software that would allow the person at home to log onto a website and see where the other person is located. For example, one of us is driving home, stuck in traffic and the other is worried. The person at home could go to some website, enter a password (ideally created by the owner of the BB being tracked) and see the other person on a map etc. Sounds a little Big Brotherish, but could really come in handy in traffic, business meetings that can't be interrupted by a phone call etc.
    I use Smart.Guard for BB. It not only allows tracking from a secure website, it backs up your data, allows you to lock or disable your BB if you lose it, etc. It's not free, but with all the advantages it's well worth the subscription price.

SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian�

08-01-09 08:17 AM
    I thinks its creepy you want to follow them on the comp. If theyre stuck in traffic, they can just call you.

yeah if they are stuck in traffic it would be no problem to dial a number. Honestly to me it sounds like this a chick who is just trying to find a way to spy on her husband...
    08-01-09 10:23 AM

Everyone has their reasons for using an app or not. She is only asking for opinions not for criticism or to be judge.
    08-01-09 12:35 PM
    For those who are implying something stalker-like, please remember that we are two WILLING parties. Either of us could disable GPS or override the program if we wanted privacy. I'm not talking about unknown tracking....
    08-01-09 01:41 PM
    The app you are looking for is smrtguard (and yes it IS spelt that way) which has a web interface with live tracking as well as remote wipe, audio ping (for finding where you left your BB), and other more sneaky stuff like remote call monitoring.

It costs $40 ish per year or $4 per month, but as it also backs up (and allows OTA restore of) all your contacts, email, sms, calender, tasks etc etc to your schedule its def worth it if like me your life is on your device.

I believe there is a 10% off code in the blogs from the last few days too!!

Happy tracking!

Steve
    08-01-09 06:00 PM
    I'm sure there are others, but, Google Latitude is cool
    08-01-09 06:09 PM
    Google Latitude works well.
    as the others said... this program works well
    08-01-09 07:27 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD