Hi, I am from Canada and using Rogers as my wireless service provider. I have already completed my contract term and don't want to lock my self with any contract. Although I don't have business requirement but wana buy a smart phone out of my pocket and utilize WiFi for emails/browsing etc. I have wireless internet at home and lot of WiFi Hotspots around my office area so really don't need a Data Plan. Which Blackberry will be a better bet? Curve 8900 or Bold? Will I miss any significant features if I don't take Data Plan? I have tried to check Rogers Cutomers service as well as store reps but they all give contradictory answers, some say I can and others say I can't. This has confused me a lot. I did google search and found this forum the best place to get advice. So pl come forward to help me so that I can join the Blackberry world. I will be graetful for detailed reply. Thanks
    07-30-09 12:36 AM
    Yes you can use the Blackberry without a data plan. There are many many threads discussing this topic. Do a bit of searching and you will find all the information you seek.

In a nutshell, most apps will not work if you have no data plan (however many still will) and you will need to spend a bit of your time getting everything configured and setup. The push mail Blackberry feature will also not work without a data plan. You can still get a 3rd party app to give you pull email but that has its disadvantages. You can go with either device, just pick the one that you like best and the one that suits you the best.
    07-30-09 12:45 AM
    To which I'll add, make sure you have everything setup to only use WiFi, otherwise you'll be paying something like 5 cents/kb flat rate for the data you use if you're not on a data plan.
    07-30-09 01:11 AM
    Good call, I forgot to mention that. I'm not 100% about Rogers but generally you can call your carrier and request for them to disable data on your account and then you won't have to worry about getting charged for data without a plan.
    07-30-09 01:22 AM
    yea i was wondering why my Bold, which is just my backup now, wasnt connecting to the net over wifi. i was showing connected to my wifi network but not able to access the net. i had to configure my default browser to the hotspot one. took about 2 mins of configuring, now it works over wifi with no SIM card in it. i did notice the wifi symbol remains grayed out, which i thought was odd.
    07-30-09 01:44 AM
    yea it will but some apps, like bb maps, wont work since they are data only
    07-30-09 01:54 AM
    I'd be tempted to say that the iPhone is a better wifi-only phone than a BB. On an iPhone you can access all data features (email, maps, all apps) when on wifi without a data plan, whereas on a BB, like was mentioned, many core features will not work on wifi without a data plan (native email, many apps). If you get the BB just be prepared for it to be extremely crippled.
    07-30-09 08:15 AM
    I'd be tempted to say that the iPhone is a better wifi-only phone than a BB.
    I agree with you on that one, as the switch between mobile and WiFi networks for data transmission is better integrated on the iPhone. However, there are still quite a few WiFi apps available for BBs.

Since my signature was chopped because, it had too many external links, I will provide a list of FREE WiFi apps for blackberries that DO NOT require a data plan right here.

News Reader - AP Mobile
    Email Client - LogicMail
    Instant Messenger - Palringo Instango
    GPS Mapping - MGMaps
    Online Radio - Flycast Radio Pandora
    Fast HTML Browser - Opera Mini
    Weather Update - BBWeather
    App Store - App Store

One-time fee WiFi apps that do not require a data plan

Email Client -Tiggit Mail
    Skype Client -IM+
    Last edited by sonni_kuba; 08-15-09 at 10:09 AM.
    Mar17 likes this.
    07-30-09 09:05 AM
    Thanks All, I appreciate your input. Things are getting more clear now.
    As I told I am new to smartphones (still in the process of selection) and have not much expertise in playing around with the devices for apps & other stuff as most of you seem to be, therefore, I would like to start with simpler device.
    Visualpurple & Soni_Kuba have made me to think about iPhone. The issue with iPhone for me is its iTunes syncing. One has to maintain a parallel iTunes library to import media files into iphone. It doesn't give the freedom of downloading pictures/videos from other source (say I am on the go and without my laptop and want to download media files from a friends mobile or pc. I mean it requires a back n forth process to complete the import) or it will override with the new files. I like adding/moving/deleting files in cell phone like windows explorer does and have the feeling that Blackberry has this feature. The other thing people say is Curve 8900 has the best resolution among BBs & iPhones and works better in dark & bright environment as compared to iPhone. But if the iPhone is a better bet without data Plan, then I may have to adopt to its cons. Or may be there is a way to fix what I have described above as shortcomings in iPhone.
    Again you guys can give a better opinion about this due to your knowledge base. My trust in this forum is gone high with just one post.
    Aristile, RedNightHawk, Soni-Kuba, Visualpurple and all! I am thankful to you for coming forward and would request to put final punches in the thread for my smooth transition in the smartphone world.
    Sorry for the long mail! pl bear with me, Thanks a lot
    07-30-09 11:44 AM
    Good luck with using your Curve! Using it without a data plan is really easy.

I just wanted to add that Beejive IM messenger is wonderful on the Wi-Fi network and can work on wifi only.
    You can also use clients like Funambol to get pull emai.

I thiink once you play with it a bit and get used to the phone, you'll find it's pretty easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 12:14 PM
    Some of the friends are suggesting iPhone is better to utilize WiFi without data Plan as we can use many of apps as compared to Blackberry. As I am new to smartphones and would prefer more user friendly device. Is iPhone a better bet in my case? Your thoughts pl.
    07-30-09 04:06 PM
    I agree with you on that one, as the switch between mobile and WiFi networks for data transmission is better integrated on the iPhone. However, there are still quite a few WiFi apps available for BBs.
    As I am new to smartphones and would prefer more user friendly device. Is iPhone a better bet in my case? Your thoughts pl.
    07-30-09 04:08 PM
    I'd be tempted to say that the iPhone is a better wifi-only phone than a BB. On an iPhone you can access all data features (email, maps, all apps) when on wifi without a data plan, whereas on a BB, like was mentioned, many core features will not work on wifi without a data plan (native email, many apps). If you get the BB just be prepared for it to be extremely crippled.
    As I am new to smartphones and would prefer more user friendly device. Is iPhone a better bet in my case? Your thoughts pl.
    07-30-09 04:09 PM
    If your using the phone from a multi media stand point, videos, music, games and email and messaging is a secondary concern the Iphone is probably more what you would want. If email, messaging, document reading and altercation are your primary concerns the BB would be better.
    07-30-09 04:23 PM
    The answer is YES. Since you are new to smartphones and do not have a preference, you'll have a much easier time learning on the iPhone since it is (arguably) more intuitive. Owning an iTouch and a BB Curve, I've found that what you're trying to do will just be so much easier on the Apple Phone.

I would recommend the Blackberry to you if you're in the following scenario:

1. Current subscriber of ATT, but don't want to get a data plan. AT&T does not make it easy to use an iPhone on their network without a data plan. (This does not appear to apply to you)
    2. If you don't like touch screen keyboards
    3. If you want to join the cool crackberry crowd and feel that the iPhone doesn't look professional enough

Hope this helps. This was my reason for getting a blackberry. Although everyday the iPhone looks more and more tempting.
    08-13-09 10:51 AM
    Thanks All, I appreciate your input. Things are getting more clear now.
    As I told I am new to smartphones (still in the process of selection) and have not much expertise in playing around with the devices for apps & other stuff as most of you seem to be, therefore, I would like to start with simpler device.
    Visualpurple & Soni_Kuba have made me to think about iPhone. The issue with iPhone for me is its iTunes syncing. One has to maintain a parallel iTunes library to import media files into iphone. It doesn't give the freedom of downloading pictures/videos from other source (say I am on the go and without my laptop and want to download media files from a friends mobile or pc. I mean it requires a back n forth process to complete the import) or it will override with the new files. I like adding/moving/deleting files in cell phone like windows explorer does and have the feeling that Blackberry has this feature. The other thing people say is Curve 8900 has the best resolution among BBs & iPhones and works better in dark & bright environment as compared to iPhone. But if the iPhone is a better bet without data Plan, then I may have to adopt to its cons. Or may be there is a way to fix what I have described above as shortcomings in iPhone.
    Again you guys can give a better opinion about this due to your knowledge base. My trust in this forum is gone high with just one post.
    Aristile, RedNightHawk, Soni-Kuba, Visualpurple and all! I am thankful to you for coming forward and would request to put final punches in the thread for my smooth transition in the smartphone world.
    Sorry for the long mail! pl bear with me, Thanks a lot

08-13-09 12:41 PM
    To answer your questions:

1). Yes Blackberries work without data plans. That's what's great about them. You don't have to have the data plan and use the internet on wifi and be able to not get charged for the data usage.
    2). There is no significant difference btwn the 8900 and Bold. Personally you can just go with 8900 bc Bold just has 3G and you won't be needing it as its just speed and reception (in some areas where u can't get with an EDGE - but drains battery quicker)
    3). The guys that told you that u need a data plan were prob reps in the store bc they are just trying to make commission.
    4). Blackberry is better than IPhone (hands down).

08-13-09 12:44 PM
    News Reader -<snip>
    You can add pandora to your list. Got it to work on my phone earlier today. Also, the app store from crackberry works too
    Last edited by bragot; 08-14-09 at 12:08 AM.
    08-14-09 12:04 AM
    yes it will.
    08-14-09 12:21 AM
    When I first got the 8900 I used the connection manager to turn off the "mobile network" and turn on "wifi." I messed around for a while and found that 99% of the apps worked solely through the wifi connection.
    08-14-09 12:17 PM
    You can add pandora to your list. Got it to work on my phone earlier today. Also, the app store from crackberry works too
    Done

Also added instango as well
    08-15-09 09:51 AM
    hey sonni_kuba the link for MgMaps link does not load....is it just me or is it down? u have another link?
    08-15-09 03:33 PM
    Thanks for the heads up bragot Pandora works! to all make sure on option you have wifi "only" enabled.
    08-15-09 05:09 PM
    hey sonni_kuba the link for MgMaps link does not load
    I just clicked on it and the .jad file pops up for download, maybe the server was down. Alternatively, you can go directly to

Mobile GMaps
    08-15-09 06:28 PM
    Thanx sonni, worked and its awesome

08-15-09 08:17 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD