I figured I'd write a quick post about this:

I was having the same problems a lot of users are complaining about with their Tours. I originally purchased my Tour from a VZW store. My battery door was very loose, the battery life was awful, and the trackball had problems moving horizontally.

I ordered a replacement directly from Verizon (over the phone, not from the store), and it arrived today. This Tour appears to be of a much higher build quality. The battery door is near perfect (it moves a very little, but I wouldn't even have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it - it's completely acceptable and on par with other electronics). The trackball works very well (and feels much better). I haven't had it long enough to test the battery life, but I'll update in a few days.

In addition to those issues, the keys are much tighter. I hadn't realized this was a problem on my old tour, but on the new one, the keys do not rock at all - they are completely snug.

I figured I'd post this to let those of you who are having problems know that there are good Tours out there. It's possible that these issues have been fixed, and I have a newer revision, or I just got lucky. Does anyone know anywhere I can check for a revision number or something? With the phone upside down and the battery door off, there's a number along the left edge that starts with PCB, I assume this is for one of the circuit boards, but on my newer Tour it ends in -004, and on my old Tour it ends in -004_A. I'm not sure if that matters. If anyone would like any other numbers, feel free to ask.

-Jimmy

UPDATE: I hate to tell you guys - but the battery door issue is not just related to the door itself. My old door on my new Tour is more snug, and my new door on my old Tour is loose. The new door on the new Tour is the best fit. So, it sounds like it's an issue relating to the door and the phone body.
    Last edited by Jimbro727; 07-29-09 at 01:11 PM.
    07-29-09 12:46 PM
    Mine is a -004_A and I purchased it on Day 1 from a Verizon store.
    07-29-09 01:03 PM
    other than my battery door being a bit loose, everything else is perfect
    07-29-09 01:08 PM
    Mine is a -004_A and I purchased it on Day 1 from a Verizon store.
    Yep, I purchased mine the week the Tour came out.

Usually that would be a revision, revision A, and I'd expect it on the newer Tour. It's interesting that it's on the older Tour. Unless it has nothing to do with the revision whatsoever.
    07-29-09 01:09 PM
    It could have been a revision on that PCB, which didn't work as planned so they reverted to the original.
    07-29-09 01:14 PM
    Hmm, mine is only a 004 (with no _A) and I have a loose battery door and a sticky trackball.

Could anyone else verify what that number means, and if it is indeed a revision number?
    07-29-09 01:16 PM
    i have the same -004_A , bought it from verizon the day it came out.
    07-29-09 01:17 PM
    It's so pathetic that most of the threads on the 9630 forums are complaints about the tour. Why do people feel venting to others will solve their mechanical woes?
    07-29-09 01:19 PM
    For people who have the 004_A phone, can they say if they have problems with it?
    07-29-09 01:19 PM
    It's so pathetic that most of the threads on the 9630 forums are complaints about the tour. Why do people feel venting to others will solve their mechanical woes?
    Yeah, it's so pathetic that customers are complaining about hardware problems on something they purchased.

People paid good money for this phone. Things like loose battery doors, sticky trackballs, rippling screens, and other hardware issues are legitimate complaints. In my opinion, those issues should have been fixed long before they left the factory. Software issues are one thing - they can be fixed with a patch. But hardware issues you have to live with forever.
    07-29-09 01:21 PM
    I have a 004_A got it from a verizon center the day it came out. Other then a slightly loose door its perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 01:26 PM
    It's even more pathetic that you spend your time reading them

I'm just trying to figure out how I can use my new, better quality, Tour, to help out everyone else. If we can figure out a revision, or a batch, of Tours that have issues, other users can specifically request working revisions or batches when they demand a replacement...

I also forgot to mention that my screen is far less sensitive. Putting any pressure on my old Tour's upper keys (send, BB, back, end) and on the bezel around the screen would cause severe ripples - I have to press very hard in those areas to see any ripples on my new Tour.
    07-29-09 01:33 PM
    I am going to trade out my Tour somehow and get a new one for the same issues. So you are suggesting ordering it over the phone as opposed to the store?
    07-29-09 01:36 PM
    I just wanted to reaffirm, the OP. I also just got a new Tour yesterday after having mine from day 1. I agree with everything stated in the OP, I'll add that my old phone had a VERY creaky top piece that would creak like crazy with the slightest pressure against the ear, but the new one barely creaks, and only if I try to make it and listen closely.
    07-29-09 01:42 PM
    Just called up VZW's customer service, and they said I had to do an exchange in-store. It kinda sucks, but at least this way I'll be able to turn on my new phone and verify it works it before I walk away with it.
    07-29-09 01:52 PM
    I had issues with my original Tour (muffled voice, loose battery cover). I took it back to VZW and received a replacement that works perfectly.

I kinda figure anyone who has issues with the phone should do one of two things:
    1. Return it to VZW and use another phone
    2. Keep exchanging it until you get a good one. If that means 5-6 phones, just do it.
    07-29-09 01:59 PM
    other than my battery door being a bit loose, everything else is perfect
    I agree. Also I have mine in a hard case so the slightly loose battery door doesn't even bother me anymore. Overall my tour has been really good iland I currently have no issues with the device, besides not having a today theme. I'm patiently waiting.

07-29-09 02:02 PM
    I am going to trade out my Tour somehow and get a new one for the same issues. So you are suggesting ordering it over the phone as opposed to the store?
    Well, my experience suggests that the Tours in certain stores may be from a batch that has these issues. I tried 6 (if I recall correctly) Tours in my VZW store and they all had very loose battery door covers. If you order over the phone, they'll ship it to you, and then you can use the device switch wizard to move over your settings/apps/data, if you do it in the store, they'll tell you to re-download your apps and reconfigure your phone.. (read below for my full story)

Just called up VZW's customer service, and they said I had to do an exchange in-store. It kinda sucks, but at least this way I'll be able to turn on my new phone and verify it works it before I walk away with it.
    Call back. I didn't go through my entire saga in my original post, but here's the short version: In the store they told me they wouldn't move my apps and data over, and that I couldn't take the new berry home with me. They told me I could bring a laptop in and do the switch myself, but I don't own a Windows laptop..

I called customer service, who transferred me to tech support, who told me I had to go to the store - but the store would have to give me a new berry and allow me to take it home and bring the old one back within 10 days. He said he noted that in my record. After waiting 40 minutes in the store, I was told the record didn't say that and that wasn't their policy. I called customer service while still at the store, and the rep acted like I was crazy, and told me "of course" she could just send me out a new one. I opted to have a new, in-the-box Tour sent, instead of just the phone body, because I was worried my battery was defective, and you can't run the device switch wizard without two phones and two batteries. They charged me for the new phone, but will refund it when I ship back the old phone with all of the cables and manuals and whatnot.

I guess the short version wasn't that short lol.
    07-29-09 02:10 PM
    When exchanging my phone for a new one, what do I need to bring? Receipt I guess, but do I need the box, charger, holster, etc?
    07-29-09 02:10 PM
    When exchanging my phone for a new one, what do I need to bring? Receipt I guess, but do I need the box, charger, holster, etc?
    Yes. You want to return the entire package so they'll give you a new one...box and all.
    07-29-09 02:20 PM
    I did exchange yesterday all was swell till trackball started screwing up.
    -004 Mexico 5
    07-29-09 02:21 PM
    I have a 004_A got it from a verizon center the day it came out. Other then a slightly loose door its perfect.

+1

07-29-09 02:23 PM
    It's up to you. A typical exchange from Verizon consists of a replacement phone body. You can tell them you want a new battery, and they should give you that, too. If you've already clipped the UPC off your box for the rebate, then they won't take that box back anyway. There's really no need to exchange everything, just the phone body and battery if you're experiencing battery issues (even though they'll swear up and down that the battery has nothing to do with battery drainage issues - which could easily be an issue with the battery not holding its charge). Make sure you watch them open a new box, though...
    07-29-09 02:31 PM
    Nice. I noticed there's a "device switcher" program on the Desktop Manager... how does that work? Do I need to have both phones (which I obviously won't have) in order for this to work?
    07-29-09 02:39 PM
    I can assure some of you that if there was never any problems to begin with, some would discover new problems. Some people just have to complain about every little thing. I don't care about what you paid for. If your an unaccepting type of person, you will never be completely satisfied.

07-29-09 02:51 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD