According to techon.com, KDDI Corp is making a microSD card that will incorporate Wi-Fi into a non- Wi-Fi phone! What do you guys think? Here's the link at the bottom of the page....

[Wireless Japan] KDDI Exhibits microSD Card with WLAN function -- Tech-On!
    07-29-09 08:48 AM
    According to techon.com, KDDI Corp is making a microSD card that will incorporate Wi-Fi into a non- Wi-Fi phone! What do you guys think? Here's the link at the bottom of the page....

[Wireless Japan] KDDI Exhibits microSD Card with WLAN function -- Tech-On!
    With a REV A Blackberry, particularly on Verizon, why would anyone want to have to be dependent on WiFi hotspots to go online?

I do not miss or need WiFi on my VZW BB.

This horse continues to be beaten even though it is long dead.
    07-29-09 08:53 AM
    With a REV A Blackberry, particularly on Verizon, why would anyone want to have to be dependent on WiFi hotspots to go online?

I do not miss or need WiFi on my VZW BB.

This horse continues to be beaten even though it is long dead.
    Its not so much as dependent, as its an added feature. Where you live or work may have excellent service, but if you're one of the many who dont get such great reception, then wifi can help.

As for this SD card thing, from what Ive been told the code for the OS would have to be written to work with the wifi card.
    07-29-09 09:00 AM
    I have bad service in my area, and after my contract has expired, Wi-Fi will save me some money on data charges
    07-29-09 09:02 AM
    I wouldn't use WiFi that much, but it's good to have. I was staying in a hotel recently that had poor reception inside. I was able to get a good enough signal to make phone calls, but was unable to get a digital signal. The hotel had free WiFi. That would have been a great time to have WiFi on my BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 09:18 AM
    I've had a bold since January and I still have yet to turn on the WiFi. It seems a nice feature to have access to but isn't really practical in the long run.
    07-29-09 11:50 AM
    I've had a bold since January and I still have yet to turn on the WiFi. It seems a nice feature to have access to but isn't really practical in the long run.
    You don't consider faster internet and download speeds practical? Even a slow WiFi connection is faster than 3G.
    07-29-09 12:43 PM
    Not with the extra battery usage. I guess I just don't surf the web all that much on my phone. Most of the sites I go to all have a mobile version that is clean and small so nothing takes more than a minute (if that to load). The only regular website I go to every day has been Google Reader for my RSS feeds and that is usually 20 seconds to load.

Also note: I do not live in a city so no free hotspots anywhere around. No access to wifi at work. My experience with hotels is their wifi is not reliable as a whole (talking multiple hotels/chains and not just individual hotels) between signal issues, high costs (sometimes), and log in procedures.

Another thought about this card: will it include memory? Giving up 8 GB of storage for wifi (for me) would require swapping only when needed. These cards are awfully small and wouldn't take long (at least for me) to be lost.
    07-29-09 03:04 PM
    Not with the extra battery usage. I guess I just don't surf the web all that much on my phone. Most of the sites I go to all have a mobile version that is clean and small so nothing takes more than a minute (if that to load). The only regular website I go to every day has been Google Reader for my RSS feeds and that is usually 20 seconds to load.

Also note: I do not live in a city so no free hotspots anywhere around. No access to wifi at work. My experience with hotels is their wifi is not reliable as a whole (talking multiple hotels/chains and not just individual hotels) between signal issues, high costs (sometimes), and log in procedures.

Another thought about this card: will it include memory? Giving up 8 GB of storage for wifi (for me) would require swapping only when needed. These cards are awfully small and wouldn't take long (at least for me) to be lost.
    How do you know about Wifi battery usage if you've never used it? I use it often, it is far from a battery hog. I also live in a small town, you'd be surprised how often you can pick up Wifi. Many restaurant chains have Wifi nation wide, coffee shops, hotels, fast food, gas stations even. You'd be suprised.

I mean, if you have or can get Wifi capabilities, the usage is generally free. There is no need to even pay for hotspots. There will always be haters...
    07-29-09 03:17 PM
    I think 3G uses way more battery than WiFi. I'm not in a city either but there are plenty of WiFi spots around. The coffee shop, public library, book store, home, work, AT&T spots, and my ISP also has some hot spots that are free to their users.

Edit: I wouldn't give up my memory slot for WiFi though. Glad i don't have to worry about that though.
    07-29-09 06:09 PM
    It wont work. The software is not present in the core OS and its unlikely it would be allowed.
    07-29-09 06:12 PM
    It wont work. The software is not present in the core OS and its unlikely it would be allowed.
    I was just going to post that. And with the API theres no way for them to write a "driver" for it either.
    07-29-09 06:14 PM
    [QUOTE=cdf3;3197682]I wouldn't use WiFi that much, but it's good to have. I was staying in a hotel recently that had poor reception inside. I was able to get a good enough signal to make phone calls, but was unable to get a digital signal. The hotel had free WiFi. That would have been a great time to have WiFi on my BlackBerry.

Same for me too. It probably wouldn't be used much but when I travel it would help out.
    I'm skeptical about it being able to work since it's not part of the OS.
    07-29-09 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD