07-28-09 10:25 PM
    The use of the term archiving leads me to believe they won't actually be accessible for use on the memory card.
    07-28-09 10:35 PM
    Wouldn't this require an OS update to enable this?

Don't get me wrong, i'll be a happy camper if this is true, but i'm almost positive that every device would need to have an OS update to enable running apps from the media card.

I can't even imagine the chaos that this would cause.
    07-28-09 10:36 PM
    The use of the term archiving leads me to believe they won't actually be accessible for use on the memory card.

I thought the same, but the article says install or archive.
    07-28-09 10:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, i'll be a happy camper if this is true, but i'm almost positive that every device would need to have an OS update to enable running apps from the media card.

That's what i was thinking. I wonder which OS this will launch with? Unless this is hidden in .148 or .151?
    07-28-09 10:43 PM
    That's what i was thinking. I wonder which OS this will launch with? Unless this is hidden in .148 or .151?
    Maybe a mass 5.0x update for all devices? Customer service reps would be committing suicide.
    07-28-09 10:48 PM
    This brings some of the things that consumers have been asking for a while. But the main questions are is it faster than the original 1.0 version and does it work with OS 5.0?
    07-28-09 11:36 PM
    Since it says install or archive, then there is the possibility that apps can be installed to SD card. It also sounds like there would need to be specific API calls within the app to acheive this, so it doesn't sound like every app would automatically be able to install to SD card. Programmers would have to modify apps to take advantage of this.
    07-29-09 08:38 AM
    awsome news if true
    07-29-09 06:13 PM

That's what I thought, that it would be possible with 5.0
    07-31-09 11:33 PM
    it's archive only. you have to install it to the device memory before you have to option to move it over to the card. you can't run apps from the card...but for apps that you only need some of the time (like when you travel) it's handy to archive them on the card, so they are there when you need them.
    08-01-09 11:56 AM
    It's really good news bro, hope it will come soon.
    08-01-09 02:08 PM
    This would be really fantastic if it were able to happen. It seems logical for me to think it's a long way off though. If it's soooo unavailable to us now, how many things would need to change to be able to make it happen? I think a new OS would AT least be in order.
    08-01-09 02:16 PM
    but would archiving mean that it would free up more memory? as long as the phone remains fast.... who cares where it ends up
    08-03-09 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD