When you open and close things in the Bold like "options" or "contacts", it is instant. But with the Tour, it is fast but definately not instant in the same way as the Bold, you can tell it's slower opening and closing things. My roommate has a Bold and I had them back to back doing this to verify it.

Is this normal, or does it sound like I am about to be on Tour #3?

PS - This is not a rant or a complaint, just to see if this is the way they are supposed to be, if not then I know there is an issue with mine in particular.
    Last edited by davegrun; 07-28-09 at 10:09 AM.
    07-28-09 09:31 AM
    You are going to return your tour because it is a nonosecond slower than the bold??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 09:50 AM
    You are going to return your tour because it is a nonosecond slower than the bold??

No, I would return it for a replacement tour if there is some specific issue with mine? I have been hearing people saying the Tour seems faster than the Bold, so this made me question if there may be some issue with mine? The loading clock also comes up quite a bit too
    07-28-09 09:52 AM
    My Tour seems slightly faster than my old Bold�
    07-28-09 09:58 AM
    it sounds liek you want your phone to be broken. The tour is an amzing and quick phone. IT IS NOT THE BOLD.
    07-28-09 10:01 AM
    Not that it should make a noticeable difference but doesn't the Bold have a faster processor than the Tour? (I think 500MHz vs 600MHz?)
    07-28-09 10:02 AM
    hmm, i have a friend who went from bold to tour, and has everything from bold on his current tour, and from him, he says the tour is snappier than the bold...... hmmmmm
    07-28-09 10:04 AM
    hmm, i have a friend who went from bold to tour, and has everything from bold on his current tour, and from him, he says the tour is snappier than the bold...... hmmmmm
    Just goes to show you those who upon hearing the specs of the Tour and the processor being slower got all upset really didn't have much to be concerned about!
    07-28-09 10:05 AM
    it sounds liek you want your phone to be broken. The tour is an amzing and quick phone. IT IS NOT THE BOLD.
    I really don't, and posts like this are the exact reason why I suspected mine might be a lemon or something. When I close opera, it takes up to 2 seconds from hitting the "exit" button to when it shuts the window off, and it always displays the clock for a second when I open it. I know 2 seconds obviously isn't long, but if the phone is suposed to open and close things instantly, what would make mine be lagging slightly?
    07-28-09 10:06 AM
    it is fine. this is the first os. these posts are getting really old. people need to quit complaining about these things. my tour lags, pretty badly. im not gonna take it back because of this. wait for the next os upgrade. it should be fine.
    Specs say bold should be faster.

it is fine. this is the first os. these posts are getting really old. people need to quit complaining about these things. my tour lags, pretty badly. im not gonna take it back because of this. wait for the next os upgrade. it should be fine.
    This wasn't so much of a complaint as it was a verification if mine was a lemon or not. I am hoping this is not just something I noticed, and I'd much rather have it be a normal thing. Obviously if this is hwo they are I don't care, but I'm sure you guys can understand that I want to make sure my phone is not the only phone with this issue.

You also need to understand that many people with the tour are first time blackberry/smartphone buyers. I'm used to buying a product and expecting it to be like that from day one until it breaks. But if they are upgrading OS's and fixing bugs, then that obviously changes the situation.
    Last edited by davegrun; 07-28-09 at 10:10 AM.
    07-28-09 10:08 AM
    Just goes to show you those who upon hearing the specs of the Tour and the processor being slower got all upset really didn't have much to be concerned about!
    exactly
    07-28-09 10:08 AM
    This wasn't so much of a complaint as it was a verification if mine was a lemon or not. I am hoping this is not just something I noticed, and I'd much rather have it be a normal thing. Obviously if this is hwo they are I don't care, but I'm sure you guys can understand that I want to make sure my phone is not the only phone with this issue.

You also need to understand that many people with the tour are first time blackberry/smartphone buyers. I'm used to buying a product and expecting it to be like that from day one until it breaks. But if they are upgrading OS's and fixing bugs, then that obviously changes the situation.
    This is my first berry as well. i can assure you that it is not a lemon. i have accepted the random lags as an insider has informed us that they will be fixed. sure they are annoying but it will get better. just give it time. it will be working great. bold didnt work great when it was first launched. tour is way better than the bold was at launch.
    07-28-09 10:15 AM
    OP, I understand what your saying here. Personally I hvent used a bold so I can't releally comment on specific comparisions between the two devices. What I would recommend is trying to find some comparision videos on youtube between the bold and tour. You might find some videos that compare app launching or closing speeds. The only way to truely answer your quesation would be to have both devices next to each other, and with the same apps and conditions on both devices, and then testing to see which phone performs better.

07-28-09 10:24 AM
    This is my first berry as well. i can assure you that it is not a lemon. i have accepted the random lags as an insider has informed us that they will be fixed. sure they are annoying but it will get better. just give it time. it will be working great. bold didnt work great when it was first launched. tour is way better than the bold was at launch.
    I don't know if its just me or my device but I have hardly any lag on my tour. Seems to open and close programs quickly. I absolutely love the device and if os updates are going to make the device only better, then I am a very happy fat kid at the playground!

07-28-09 10:27 AM
    The Bold does have a faster processor but I think the Tour handles memory a bit better than the Bold which would make the Tour faster within the OS. However, I've tested the Bold and Tour's boot time and the Bold wins hands down. The Bold Boots in half the time.
    07-28-09 10:36 AM
    I don't know if its just me or my device but I have hardly any lag on my tour. Seems to open and close programs quickly. I absolutely love the device and if os updates are going to make the device only better, then I am a very happy fat kid at the playground!
    Yeah I really don't have any lag or issues with mine either.

I wish there were more direct comparisons speedwise between the Bold's processor and the one used in the Tour. While they're completely compatible and the Tour's is basically 100MHz slower than the Bold's, they're technically completely different processors, plus in theory the XScale in the Bold is supposed to be able to change it's clock speed to reduce power consumption. Couple that with the Tour's extra memory and you wind up with a very hard to quantify speed difference.

I guess it all comes down to putting a Bold with no problems next to a Tour with no problems and just do a comparison test...
    07-28-09 10:39 AM
    its always been known that the bold is a bit faster...

anyones whos bold is slower.. means that there bold is the problem

the tour is a quick device.. but the bold is slightly faster...
    07-28-09 10:44 AM
    No issues at all here -- really fast for me.

It could that be because I came from the storm and I'm just not used to seeing normal?
    07-28-09 10:46 AM
    I have both a Bold and a Tour. If there's interest, I could make a short video performing and comparing various functions.

I've done a few tests just for kicks and I think the Bold is definitely more responsive. I'm running 4.6.0.282 on my Bold which I think is the latest build and is a big improvement imho over prior builds.

Menu and input: Bold wins here. I have a slight lag in scrolling through menus with my Tour that the Bold doesn't have. I've also noticed that when I open my bookmarks and start typing to search for one there is a slight input delay.

Web Browsing: Tour! Oddly enough, the Tour on EDVO beats my Bold on Wifi most of the time. The bold has a weird delay (on wifi) in between the requesting and loading phases when surfing the web. I've surfed the web with both devices side by side and most of the time the Tour started to load pages earlier than my Bold. Once the Bold started loading it would render the full page faster than the Tour but most of the time there was too much of a delay getting to the "loading" phase.

Movies: Bold seems to be better here. The Tour seems to have trouble with movies that are over 2 hours. The picture stops moving and the sound keeps running whenever I try and watch a movie like Blackhawk Down. I'm using .mp4 files encoded by Videora for the Ipod.
    07-28-09 10:53 AM
    Mine opens contacts instantly too.
    07-28-09 10:56 AM
    The Phone only runs as fast as it could. Why worry about getting a replacement for something minor? You can do that, but when you need a replacement for a "serious" reason there going to shut you down.

07-28-09 11:15 AM
    I switched from ATT Bold to VZW Tour. After having used the Bold for 9 months, there's no doubt that there is a lag in the Tour....but as anyone in NY knows, the VZW network is infinitely superior, so no going back.
    07-28-09 11:42 AM
    The Bold is nearly 100MHz faster...that's like 20%. Why wouldn't you expect a speedier performance on the Bold....
    07-28-09 12:21 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD